Thread: I Didn't Know Why Lucy McBath Ran For Congress. Wow.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default I Didn't Know Why Lucy McBath Ran For Congress. Wow.

"Lucia Kay McBath (née Holman; born June 1, 1960) is an American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 6th congressional district. The district includes many of Atlanta's affluent northern suburbs, such as Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, and parts of Tucker and Marietta. She is a member of the Democratic Party."

She was happy as a flight attendant for Delta Airlines. Carved herself out a nice niche in life. Had a nice family. That was all before 2012.

Then her life changed.

"McBath's son, Jordan Davis, was murdered in November 2012
    . She became an advocate for gun control, joining other mothers of African-American murder victims to form the Mothers of the Movement, and spoke at the 2016 Democratic National Convention. McBath ran for the House of Representatives in 2018 and defeated Republican incumbent Karen Handel. "

wiki

"The murder of Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old high school student, happened on Friday, November 23, 2012, at a Gate Petroleum gas station in Jacksonville, Florida, United States by Michael David Dunn, a 45-year-old software developer, following an argument over loud music played by Davis and his three friends. Dunn was convicted on three counts of attempted second-degree murder for firing at three other teenagers who were with Davis and one count of firing into a vehicle. The jury could not reach a verdict about whether to convict Dunn for the murder of Jordan Davis at the first trial. In a second trial, Dunn was found guilty of the first-degree murder of Jordan Davis.[2]"

"The bass from loud hip-hop music ("Beef" by Lil Reese, Lil Durk and Fredo Santana) playing in the teens' SUV annoyed Dunn, who asked for it to be turned down.[4][7] The front seat passenger, Tevin Thompson, initially complied, but Jordan Davis requested the music to be turned back up.[8][9]

The argument continued and an independent witness overheard Dunn say, "You aren't going to talk to me like that." Dunn, who had a concealed weapons permit,[3] took a handgun out of his glove compartment and started firing at Davis's door, hitting him in the legs, lungs, and aorta. As the SUV backed up to evade his gunshots, Dunn opened his own door and continued firing at the car in shooter's stance, later testifying that he still feared for his safety as well as that of Rouer, who was to return to the vehicle imminently.[10] "

"Dunn's former neighbor, Charles Hendrix, said he was not surprised by his behavior.[32][33] Hendrix commented on Dunn, whom he described as arrogant and controlling, (Just like somebody we all know very well by now...) adding that Dunn's ex-wives told him that Dunn was violent and abusive toward them, although he never personally witnessed this.[33] Hendrix spoke of a previous discussion where Dunn asked him if he knew anyone who would "take care of" someone who infuriated him in an unrelated incident, and Hendrix interpreted further discussion as Dunn wanting to send a hit on this person.[32]"

"Dunn was given a sentence of life in prison without parole plus 90 years.[29]"

Dunn is where he belongs now.

Murder of Jordan Davis

Wow. That is some powerful motivation to do something.

It must be terrible to lose a child.

And worse to lose one to stupid hatred.

One small good thing out of it: Dunn is ineligible to vote as a Florida Convict.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-01-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And another good thing out of it is we got a good conscientious dedicated legislator who doesn't take corporate hand outs and is not dancing to the pulled strings of big money or the NRA.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-01-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That must have been a 'ton of bricks' phone call when she learned her teenage son had been gunned down by a pompous white guy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-01-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What. Did everybody else already know this?

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,769 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    "Lucia Kay McBath (née Holman; born June 1, 1960) is an American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 6th congressional district. The district includes many of Atlanta's affluent northern suburbs, such as Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, and parts of Tucker and Marietta. She is a member of the Democratic Party."

She was happy as a flight attendant for Delta Airlines. Carved herself out a nice niche in life. Had a nice family. That was all before 2012.

Then her life changed.

"McBath's son, Jordan Davis, was murdered in November 2012
    . She became an advocate for gun control, joining other mothers of African-American murder victims to form the Mothers of the Movement, and spoke at the 2016 Democratic National Convention. McBath ran for the House of Representatives in 2018 and defeated Republican incumbent Karen Handel. "

wiki

"The murder of Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old high school student, happened on Friday, November 23, 2012, at a Gate Petroleum gas station in Jacksonville, Florida, United States by Michael David Dunn, a 45-year-old software developer, following an argument over loud music played by Davis and his three friends. Dunn was convicted on three counts of attempted second-degree murder for firing at three other teenagers who were with Davis and one count of firing into a vehicle. The jury could not reach a verdict about whether to convict Dunn for the murder of Jordan Davis at the first trial. In a second trial, Dunn was found guilty of the first-degree murder of Jordan Davis.[2]"

"The bass from loud hip-hop music ("Beef" by Lil Reese, Lil Durk and Fredo Santana) playing in the teens' SUV annoyed Dunn, who asked for it to be turned down.[4][7] The front seat passenger, Tevin Thompson, initially complied, but Jordan Davis requested the music to be turned back up.[8][9]

The argument continued and an independent witness overheard Dunn say, "You aren't going to talk to me like that." Dunn, who had a concealed weapons permit,[3] took a handgun out of his glove compartment and started firing at Davis's door, hitting him in the legs, lungs, and aorta. As the SUV backed up to evade his gunshots, Dunn opened his own door and continued firing at the car in shooter's stance, later testifying that he still feared for his safety as well as that of Rouer, who was to return to the vehicle imminently.[10] "

"Dunn's former neighbor, Charles Hendrix, said he was not surprised by his behavior.[32][33] Hendrix commented on Dunn, whom he described as arrogant and controlling, (Just like somebody we all know very well by now...) adding that Dunn's ex-wives told him that Dunn was violent and abusive toward them, although he never personally witnessed this.[33] Hendrix spoke of a previous discussion where Dunn asked him if he knew anyone who would "take care of" someone who infuriated him in an unrelated incident, and Hendrix interpreted further discussion as Dunn wanting to send a hit on this person.[32]"

"Dunn was given a sentence of life in prison without parole plus 90 years.[29]"

Dunn is where he belongs now.

Murder of Jordan Davis

Wow. That is some powerful motivation to do something.

It must be terrible to lose a child.

And worse to lose one to stupid hatred.

One small good thing out of it: Dunn is ineligible to vote as a Florida Convict.
    I remember when this happened. How tragic, but she has funneled her pain into action. Outstanding

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-01-2020)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I remember when this happened. How tragic, but she has funneled her pain into action. Outstanding
    Yes, this is so commendable to use that energy for motivation. She's the last kind of person the NRA wants in Congress. And she obviously had plenty of time to process what happened, plenty of time for her determination to become solidified. You just know she's gonna do what's right for the people.

She's got resolve.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-01-2020)