Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Blackwater Lunchbreak, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, CFM, Superfreak, TOP, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and FreeSpeech

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free will and original sin

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,435 Times in 52,457 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Maybe I just do not understand the Calvinist branch of Protestantism, but it seems so bloody negative and pessimistic about the human condition and free will.

I say to each their own, but the fire and brimstone act kind of freaks me out!
    Agreed. How can God be all knowing, all powerful and all loving yet plays favorites and sends dumbasses to Hell for eternity? It doesn't fit.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Concart (06-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (06-30-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

All religions are the product of man's unique ability to recognize his mortality and find an out. Throughout history, religious beliefs have been driven by ignorance. We no longer believe an eclipse is caused by a dragon eating the sun. Current religious beliefs when viewed as history will prove just as ignorant. Spirituality is, IMHO, not religion. Very different things. All religious dogma is BS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-30-2020)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. How can God be all knowing, all powerful and all loving yet plays favorites and sends dumbasses to Hell for eternity? It doesn't fit.
    If you haven't seen West World, you should watch it. A fascinating examination of free will and choices.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-30-2020)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    If you haven't seen West World, you should watch it. A fascinating examination of free will and choices.
    I do watch it. I've also been a SF fan since the 1960s. The topic is a good one.

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do watch it. I've also been a SF fan since the 1960s. The topic is a good one.
    Love the show, just finished season 3. It's one I have to watch without my wife. She can't get past the idea that it's a show about robots. Which it absolutely is not. Our ven diagram has a pretty large intersection, but hers doesn't include this....... and mine doesn't include 90 day fiance .

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

I suppose that, under any belief system, people notice that humans make wonderful plans and then balls them up because of some failing in them. Original sin was one way of expressing this, and I don't think the concept 'free will' will survive much close examination of human behaviour. Our hands are moving, so to speak, long before we come to any decision.

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Love the show, just finished season 3. It's one I have to watch without my wife. She can't get past the idea that it's a show about robots. Which it absolutely is not. Our ven diagram has a pretty large intersection, but hers doesn't include this....... and mine doesn't include 90 day fiance .
    ROFL. Mine neither. We do watch some shows together, but I don't share her love for TLC "reality" shows and she's not into SF, Horror or war.

The Big Three; Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke, plus Bradbury all wrote stories questioning what is "human" and self-awareness in other creatures and machines on the level of human beings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-30-2020)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    I suppose that, under any belief system, people notice that humans make wonderful plans and then balls them up because of some failing in them. Original sin was one way of expressing this, and I don't think the concept 'free will' will survive much close examination of human behaviour. Our hands are moving, so to speak, long before we come to any decision.
    It's possible free will is an illusion, and that we live in a deterministic reality. Smarter people than me have to sort it out.

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's possible free will is an illusion, and that we live in a deterministic reality. Smarter people than me have to sort it out.
    If we do live in a deterministic reality, then everything thought about "God" is a lie. We're just meat robots operating with the programming of a god, gods or random chance.

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Right - I think we'll decide as conditioned, probably!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

Cypress (06-30-2020)

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

All religions are the product of man's unique ability to recognize his mortality and find an out. Throughout history, religious beliefs have been driven by ignorance. We no longer believe an eclipse is caused by a dragon eating the sun. Current religious beliefs when viewed as history will prove just as ignorant. Spirituality is, IMHO, not religion. Very different things. All religious dogma is BS.
    I do not think it is limited to conventional religious thought. Plato, the pagan, made the immortal soul one of the cornerstones of his philosophy.

I might be wrong about this, but the transition to conventional religion during the Axial Age was first and foremost humanity's way of coming to terms with individuality and a personal code of ethics - a search for a meaning to this life on a personal level. The Brahmanistic, Vedic, and Confucian traditions certainly did not concern themselves with the salvation of a personal soul.

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If we do live in a deterministic reality, then everything thought about "God" is a lie. We're just meat robots operating with the programming of a god, gods or random chance.
    Determinism kind of freaks me out too

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Determinism kind of freaks me out too
    Determinism requires a "god" or supernatural power to control events. I disagree with it. The only way it could be logically explained, IMO, is through the Fourth Dimension AKA Time. People see Time like a 35mm movie: one frame at a time and only moving forward. The reality is that all time exists simultaneously like looking at the entire 35mm movie as it sits in a can.

In that respect, our "fates" are already "determined" because our deaths and life events would be known to anything that can view it in the Fourth Dimension. That said, the viewer can't make a person's life go one way or another. The viewer is just an observer and not in control of that person's fate or life events.

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

ROFL. Mine neither. We do watch some shows together, but I don't share her love for TLC "reality" shows and she's not into SF, Horror or war.

The Big Three; Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke, plus Bradbury all wrote stories questioning what is "human" and self-awareness in other creatures and machines on the level of human beings.
    We watch 'The Expanse' together. I win Great authors. Thumbs up.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-30-2020)

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We watch 'The Expanse' together. I win Great authors. Thumbs up.
    Another great show but I haven't seen the latest season....haven't finished Westworld either.