Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Hermes Thoth, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, CFM, Superfreak, TOP, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and FreeSpeech

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free will and original sin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default Free will and original sin

I really cannot accept the Calvinist Protestant interpretation of humans bearing the guilt and stain of original sin, the theology of predestination, and their generally negative view of humanity the human condition. I will always actually feel like Eastern Christianity generally has a more positive perspective on the human condition, a more tenable theology on the question of free will.

Eastern Orthodox Christians say the goal of human life is union with the divine, a process they call theosis. The essence of this process is the ongoing effort to be like Christ. For most, it will take an entire life’s work. Monks have an audacious calling to seek this divine union as a mystical state in this life. But complete theosis can still only come upon death, when one’s bodily existence is subsumed within the life of God.

Most Western Christians, on the other hand, imagine an insurmountable distance between humans and God. Maybe God can touch someone across that gap, but a person can’t become one with God, in part because of the stain of original sin.

In the West, Augustine came up with the predominant way of talking about original sin: as a permanent defect that all humans inherited through Adam and Eve’s mistakes in the Garden of Eden. But most of his writings were not available in Greek until the 13th century and the Orthodox came up with a different take on things.

The Orthodox say Adam and Eve’s disobedience interrupted the process of spiritual maturation that God had planned for them. Other people might deserve God’s punishment, but that’s because of their own sins, not because the inherited the stain of original sin. And the natural human tendency is to move toward God, not to turn away from him.

The Orthodox don’t have as much angst about the paradox of divine sovereignty and free will. To them, free will is actually a sign of our imperfection; if we were perfect, we wouldn’t need any choice, because we would always know what is good.

These differences help explain the intellectual reasons why the Eastern Orthodox world has never had a Reformation. Eastern Christians do fight over theology, but in general, they are more comfortable with paradox and mystery.

Source credit: Molly Worthen, PhD. Religious Historian, University of North Carolina

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-29-2020), ThatOwlWoman (06-30-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Most people have accepted 'The Theory of Evolution' and don't spend a lot of time wasting it on your concept of 'Original Sin'.
    You'd have to be REAL STUPID to teach your children that they are Sinners.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Most people have accepted 'The Theory of Evolution' and don't spend a lot of time wasting it on your concept of 'Original Sin'.
    Evolution has nothing to do with spirituality, or even ethics.
    One would have to be pretty stupid to confuse the two.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Do YOU accept the 'Theory of Original Sin'? THAT was the point of my response. No one is 'confusing' anything here ... other than YOU.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do YOU accept the 'Theory of Original Sin'? THAT was the point of my response. No one is 'confusing' anything here ... other than YOU.
    Learn how to write then
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,517 Times in 52,735 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Well, consider who you are responding to. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Original Sin by itself is enough to ignore Christianity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-30-2020)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Agree.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Teaching your children that they are born "bad" and need to believe in a mythological figure to avoid damnation is akin to child abuse, IMO. Children must be taught moral behavior, of course. But that can be done w/o loading them with guilt over a false belief.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-30-2020)

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Teaching your children that they are born "bad" and need to believe in a mythological figure to avoid damnation is akin to child abuse, IMO. Children must be taught moral behavior, of course. But that can be done w/o loading them with guilt over a false belief.
    I was taught that. Took me a very long time to see how horrible and...unchristian the dogma is. Why does God hate me?!

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was taught that. Took me a very long time to see how horrible and...unchristian the dogma is. Why does God hate me?!
    :~( How did you work past that?

I was raised Lutheran. Mom tried to soften the original sin blow by blaming it all on Adam and Eve but in the end it all boiled down to: You are a bad person and God is watching you and knows when you fuck up, so you better pray for forgiveness every single day. Bah.
    Years later I had a bumper sticker that said "Born right the first time."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (06-30-2020)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Right, that is why I align more with the eastern tradition - there is no concept of an inherited stain of original sin, we have free will, and are responsible only for our own sins. I know exactly zero eastern Orthodox Christians who tell their children they are sinners. That is what scares me actually about Calvinists and Puritans! As to evolution, I have a science background I rarely discuss, and my current favorite fossil is tiktaalik!

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Right, that is why I align more with the eastern tradition - there is no concept of an inherited stain of original sin, we have free will, and are responsible only for our own sins. I know exactly zero eastern Orthodox Christians who tell their children they are sinners. That is what scares me actually about Calvinists and Puritans! As to evolution, I have a science background I rarely discuss, and my current favorite fossil is tiktaalik!
    I'm sure many Intellectual Giants debate the differences between the Sunnis and the Shias, and whether Paradise really has 72 virgins. I'm not one of those.
    I view teaching children that ancient Mythology is 'REAL' ... is Child Abuse. I'll let you and the other 'Believers' discuss the Merits.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Timely statement...with all them enlightened ascended master baitors rioting.

"I told you not to feed him meat" ---from Oliver Twist

What's love got to with it?

Remember next time a nearby woman looks sexy ---it means she wants ya'll to want to shag what you see

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Buddhism says: No Nirvana until Samsara is stopped.
    Samsara = the repetious cycle of birth & Death & birth & Death & birth & Death & birth & Death & birth & Death & birth & Death*** et al.

Nirvana = extinction of one's own soul [atma becomes annatma]

***due to duality as basis of material natures' ying-yang structure...it's called "duality" ---ya can't have one opposite without the constant presence of it's concomitant (other) opposite.

duality = the constant inseparable presence of opposites [ie protons and electrons]

IF YOU TAKE A BIRTH AGAIN YOU ARE CARRYING THE KARMA [works] FROM THE PROCEEDING LIFETIME.

IF YOU TAKE A BIRTH AGAIN IN FUTURE, YOU ARE NOT YET WITHOUT SIN [KARMA].

Damn atheists think they will achieve nirvana simply by their dying, out-doing years of a monk's journey.