Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Science

1. #301 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    ":SCIENCE" nowdays is a leftist political propaganda arm, where "CONSENSU" is reached by a show of hands, instead of Scientific Method.

Like "TRANSGENDER FEMALES ARE REAL FEMALES"....

BS in Chemistry, U of Missouri at Rolla, now known as the Missouri School of Science and Technology.

How about you?
    You’re conflating the social sciences with the natural sciences.

BA Human Biology (Chemistry minor) Wright State University. MS EH&S Mgt Findley College. I also did graduate studies at Palmer College and did research at the Ohio State University graduate school of Materials Science and Engineering. New a fellow at OSU who did his undergrad studies in materials science at Mizzou Rolla which has a top notch program.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #302 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Science has largely failed because the people in science have all to often cared more about what was best for their careers than they did what was best for science.

Also, increasingly scientists are held in low regard, for cause.

You are many decades out of date.
    Like hell I am. You’re the one in lala land. You’re probably a neophyte who never professionally studied science and technology or made a career in it.

It’s the anti-science crowd like you that have alienated most scientists from the GOP. Including me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-07-2020)

4. #303 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Like hell I am. You’re the one in lala land. You’re probably a neophyte who never professionally studied science and technology or made a career in it.

It’s the anti-science crowd like you that have alienated most scientists from the GOP. Including me.
    I will therefore assume that you do not agree with Michael Shellenberger on the politicalisation and hijacking of climate science by various people for their own nefarious ends. It's becoming increasingly clear that the hysteria and alarmism is being exposed more and more, the Dems will be revealed as huxsters soon enough. What I do find surprising is that a bright guy like you can't see that, you will eventually though!

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...79#post3756479
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-06-2020 at 09:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Into the Night (07-07-2020)

6. #304 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    I will therefore assume that you do not agree with Michael Shellenberger on the politicalisation and hijacking of climate science by various people for their own nefarious ends. It's becoming increasingly clear that the hysteria and alarmism is being exposed more and more, the Dems will be revealed as huxsters soon enough. What I do find surprising is that a bright guy like you can't see that, you will eventually though!

Sounds like he has recently been getting his head warped at a Failed University.

That would explain the idiocy.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

8. #305 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post

You would be correct Tom. Nor do I agree with Larry Johnson about scientist politicizing evolutionary theory. Both positions are “God of the gaps” arguments.

9. #306 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sounds like he has recently been getting his head warped at a Failed University.

That would explain the idiocy.
    I wouldn’t expect Tom to be to sympathetic with your position. I respect Tom’s dissent on the topic because he has actually studied science and has at least drawn his conclusions from informed dissenting sources and isn’t some tribal political hack who’s opinion is based on a tribal party affiliation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-07-2020)

11. #307 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldn’t expect Tom to be to sympathetic with your position. I respect Tom’s dissent on the topic because he has actually studied science and has at least drawn his conclusions from informed dissenting sources and isn’t some tribal political hack who’s opinion is based on a tribal party affiliation.
    You’re joking right? Informed dissenting sources?

12. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-07-2020)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

14. #308 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

What makes science unique from other philosophies is that science is specifically designed to be self correcting. .
    to be fair, practical science may be self-correcting but the philosophy of science is not.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

15. #309 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You’re conflating the social sciences with the natural sciences.

BA Human Biology (Chemistry minor) Wright State University. MS EH&S Mgt Findley College. I also did graduate studies at Palmer College and did research at the Ohio State University graduate school of Materials Science and Engineering. New a fellow at OSU who did his undergrad studies in materials science at Mizzou Rolla which has a top notch program.
    the climate "crisis" had shown us that peer review has been replaced with political review..........perhaps instead of self-correcting you should speak of goal-correcting.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #310 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You would be correct Tom. Nor do I agree with Larry Johnson about scientist politicizing evolutionary theory. Both positions are “God of the gaps” arguments.
    given that evolutionary science has replaced the old scientific method with "if it meets with our assumptions we can continue to assume it is true", it is disingenuous to claim anything is an "of the gaps" argument......

17. #311 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well you're a bright guy, you'll see the light eventually.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-07-2020)

19. #312 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    You’re joking right? Informed dissenting sources?
    Yes well we know how much you love Hot Whopper, which by the way has shut down, Sweet Sou has given up. You're an excellent example of someone that approaches such matters from a tribal political affiliation.

20. #313 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Number, please.
    Go back and look it up yourself. RQAA.

21. #314 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What makes science unique from other philosophies is that science is specifically designed to be self correcting. Is science often wrong? Absolutely and more than lay people think. The truth is that in practicing science you will almost always be wrong more often than you’re right. The whole purpose of science is to determine what to the best of our knowledge are the facts about nature. The scientific methods purpose is to identify these facts but science is self correcting because one of its primary tenets is that all knowledge is tentative and all scientific knowledge is predicated on the basis that you
    may be wrong. Even if the probability of being wrong is incredibly small, you still might be wrong. There are no absolutes in science. Just differing degrees of the probability of being correct. This concept makes science self correcting. When a new fact with a higher probability of being correct is discovered than what was previously believed then that belief must either be abandoned if that fact falsifies it or that belief must be modified to account for this new fact.

So that’s the humbling part of science. Being right is incredibly hard to do,

As to your point on science being abused by those outside of science with other agendas cannot be placed at the foot of science. Rather it is the individual’s responsibility to be literate in science so that they can question questionable science. In most cases where science is abused by those with agendas other than science it is almost always scientist who point that out.

This is also why scientist are the single most respected group of professionals.
    Science is not facts. Science is not scientists. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

22. #315 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Science has largely failed because the people in science have all to often cared more about what was best for their careers than they did what was best for science.

Also, increasingly scientists are held in low regard, for cause.

You are many decades out of date.
    There DO seem to be a fair number of scientists these days that deny science. 'Science' is one of the most used buzzwords in media today.