Thread: Science

1. #406 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Wikipedia is not a valid source. You cannot use it with me. You cannot use Stanford either. They do not define philosophy.
    lol......tell you what.....show me even a source which is not "valid" besides your own incorrect assumptions which supports your claim.......provide me a link which says there is no "philosophy of science" but only "philosophy"......

by the way, Stanford may run the website that his works are published, but the source was Hegel.....his book, Lectures On The Philosophy of History, can be accessed at many places besides the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.....

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 07-08-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #407 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,114 Times in 11,687 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    False accusation fallacy.
    Mockery. Denial of logic.

3. #408 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol......tell you what.....show me even a source which is not "valid" besides your own incorrect assumptions which supports your claim.......provide me a link which says there is no "philosophy of science" but only "philosophy"......

by the way, Stanford may run the website that his works are published, but the source was Hegel.....his book, Lectures On The Philosophy of History, can be accessed at many places besides the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.....

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    The only source in a philosophical argument is yourself. There is no such thing as 'philosophy of history', 'philosophy of science', etc. There is just philosophy, or there is not.

History is past events. There is no philosophy about it.
    Science is a set of falsifiable theories. There is no philosophy about it.
    Religion is some initial circular argument with arguments extending from that. There is no philosophy about it.

There is just philosophy.

4. #409 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There is no such thing as 'philosophy of history'
    Hegel says fuck off.....

by the way, in college I had a double major - history and sociology with a minor in philosophy......if I could have squeezed in two more classes I would have had a triple major.......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 07-08-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #410 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Absence of knowledge fallacy. Know it allism fallacy.

6. #411 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The only source in a philosophical argument is yourself. There is no such thing as 'philosophy of history', 'philosophy of science', etc. There is just philosophy, or there is not.

Religion is some initial circular argument with arguments extending from that. There is no philosophy about it.

You know nothing about philosophy.

7. #412 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

by the way.......I have more bad news for you.....
    the philosophy of basketball.....
    http://coachjacksonspages.com/BasketballHandbook.pdf

8. #413 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

False accusation fallacy.

9. #414 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    We've had a few thousand years of human history to evaluate this, and here's the scoop: science is a good thing. Without it, we've had periods like the Dark Ages. Science has saved a whole lotta people, given us an amazing standard of living, and for you space buffs out there, has even put us on the moon.

Real estate dudes don't really know science. They know real estate. Same with most other people who have expertise in a given area, but haven't really studied science, medicine or any other field in depth.

Let's keep going w/ science. It really is the better option.
    That post and false history is somewhat mythical and fictitious for so many reasons it's not worth getting into.

For example, contrary to popular myths, fables, and urban legends about the "moon landing", it likely had more to do with an arms race with the Soviet Union than anything else, much as how idiots superstitiously idolizing that can't name one thing that they benefited from in any way to begin with.

Likewise, outdated myths and fables about "the Dark Ages" are nonsense, the "Dark Ages" had nothing to do with "science" in the sense of a modern, institution based on a specific methodology of discovery, testing, and so forth (e.x. the inductive method invented by Sir Francis Bacon).

The "Dark Ages" simply marked a lack of innovation, not solely "scientific" but in other areas as well, such as arts - much as the characteristics of the "Dark Ages" could exist within the context of any era or institution, in which innovation is stymied (e.x. within the context of currently established scientific institutions, hostility to innovation or novelty could exist as well).

Likewise, a lot of the myths which falsely attribute inventions and living standards ambigiously to "science" (or Francis Bacon's specific method and institution thereof) are nonsense; for example, wealthy people in Ancient Rome's Golden Age had access to innovations like plumbing, much as ancient China invented gunpowder; things which weren't available to the average person as recent as, say, in the Great Depression of the 1920s.

(For that matter, Bacon's old scientific establishment invented in the 16th-17th century wasn't responsible for many modern innovations to begin with, much of that had more to do with the industrial revolution in the 19th century, which occured 300 years later).

10. #415 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusA View Post
    That post and false history is somewhat mythical and fictitious for so many reasons it's not worth getting into.

For example, contrary to popular myths, fables, and urban legends about the "moon landing", it likely had more to do with an arms race with the Soviet Union than anything else, much as how idiots superstitiously idolizing that can't name one thing that they benefited from in any way to begin with.

Likewise, outdated myths and fables about "the Dark Ages" are nonsense, the "Dark Ages" had nothing to do with "science" in the sense of a modern, institution based on a specific methodology of discovery, testing, and so forth (e.x. the inductive method invented by Sir Francis Bacon).

The "Dark Ages" simply marked a lack of innovation, not solely "scientific" but in other areas as well, such as arts - much as the characteristics of the "Dark Ages" could exist within the context of any era or institution, in which innovation is stymied (e.x. within the context of currently established scientific institutions, hostility to innovation or novelty could exist as well).

Likewise, a lot of the myths which falsely attribute inventions and living standards ambigiously to "science" (or Francis Bacon's specific method and institution thereof) are nonsense; for example, wealthy people in Ancient Rome's Golden Age had access to innovations like plumbing, much as ancient China invented gunpowder; things which weren't available to the average person as recent as, say, in the Great Depression of the 1920s.

(For that matter, Bacon's old scientific establishment invented in the 16th-17th century wasn't responsible for many modern innovations to begin with, much of that had more to do with the industrial revolution in the 19th century, which occured 300 years later).
    Interesting. But it seemed you were contesting something. What was that?

11. #416 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is this guy serious?

12. #417 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Is this guy serious?
    Somewhat entertaining. But mostly kooky.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

AProudLefty (07-08-2020)

14. #418 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Hegel says fuck off.....

by the way, in college I had a double major - history and sociology with a minor in philosophy......if I could have squeezed in two more classes I would have had a triple major.......
    Meh. Most colleges don't teach philosophy anymore.

15. #419 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Absence of knowledge fallacy. Know it allism fallacy.

16. #420 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    You know nothing about philosophy.
    Argument of the stone fallacy.