Members banned from this thread: Text Drivers are Killers, volsrock, artichoke, Grokmaster and FreeSpeech

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidney stones suck. Any thing you could tell a noob about medical marijuana?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    LOL. It is quite literally the worst pain you will ever feel, unless you get bone cancer and I would not wish either on anyone. I get so danged many that before the "opioid crisis" I could literally just call the doctor and he'd send in a prescription to the pharmacy.
    I was walking half intimidating cowboy and half cutesy penguin waddle. It's finally at a point where I can move well again. Kidney Stones are my dad's side of the family's curse. I don't think any of them haven't had multiple kidney stones. I've had basically every surgical procedure done for removing kidney stones. One thing I used to do was use a heating pad or one of those Tiger Balm patches. They often helped more than the drugs.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Don't do it. Medical marijuana for the most part is a home remedy with little scientific support. Long term use has many drawbacks, particularly if smoked.

Let me share a personal anecdote, based in part on what actual research has been done on this.

My younger brother developed a bi-polar scherzo effective mental disorder in his late 40's. The quacks all said this was extremely rare and couldn't find a good explanation for it. There was no family history of this disorder happening. He had been a regular marijuana user since his teens. There is now mounting evidence that long-term use such as his can result in such a disorder. He was found twice by the state to be mentally incompetent. He finally stopped using and now in his late 50's he has not had a repeat episode.

There have also been good studies of the Maori people of New Zealand, the heaviest marijuana smokers in the world. They have almost triple the rate of lung cancer and a far higher incidence of schizophrenia than would otherwise be expected.

So, be very careful of people who tell you marijuana is harmless and has no lasting side effects. It's something to consider.
    I used to know all the side effects of weed but like I forgot what they were.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-23-2020), Rune (07-03-2020)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nothing magical here but just common sense mostly.

Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
    Avoid processed food.
    Avoid calcium rich foods, such as milk, cheese, yogurt, oysters, and tofu.
    Eat lemons or oranges, or drink fresh lemonade.
    Limit how much protein you eat.
    Stick to a low-fat diet.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL. It is quite literally the worst pain you will ever feel, unless you get bone cancer and I would not wish either on anyone. I get so danged many that before the "opioid crisis" I could literally just call the doctor and he'd send in a prescription to the pharmacy.
    I feel bad for those who suffer kidney stones. Once you have one you can’t really do anything but mitigate the pain short of surgery to remove said stone.

I’m not sure if there’s any peer reviewed research but I’m fairly confident that those who get stones might have a recessive allele that prevents the reaction of calcium and oaxalates in the gi tract and has it happen in the kidneys during urine formation.

Stone are hard to manage because we know what the dietary requirements are (lower calcium and oaxalates in you diet). The problem with that is we need calcium and oaxalates to have good health.

So how do you balance the two so you don’t get stones? I don’t think that question has been answered.

One diet I do know that has peer reviewed documentation in reducing stones is alkaline detox diet. The concept behind the diet is trying to maintain the bodies pH near it’s physiological ideal of around 7.6, which is slightly alkaline. The diet focuses on the determining the inorganic components (acid or alkaline ash) of food and emphasizing whichever is needed to balance pH at 7.6.

The problem with the diet is it’s a very counterintuitive one. Some highly acidic foods, like tomatoes, have an alkaline inorganic composition, and it’s the inorganic composition of food that influences physiological pH.

But the notion of managing physiological pH by diet does have validity and does have peer reviewed research on it’s wellness benefits but you’re such a bizarre case that there’s no way to tell if it would help but in “normal” cases of stones alkaline detox diets have shown to help.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,140 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

I had bone pain with chemo, I’ve never had kidney stones, but I’d rather have labor than bone pain and my sister said she’d rather have labor than kidney stones. Pain is not fun.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-24-2020)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know about bone pain as I had to go into hospital to get an infected tibia with osteomyelitis drained. The pain from that was truly excruciating, wouldn't wish that on anyone well apart from one or two.

9. #22 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,609 Times in 17,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Pancreatitis is also extremely painful. I had it 3 times. The first time I had it I thought it was just a severe case of the stomach flu. Wound up in the hospital for 7 days. No food, no water, stuck on an IV and pumped full of morphine and it didn't help a bit. I had to beg for an ice cube to moisten my mouth.
    The only thing I've ever had that compares to it was my last surgery. They had to pull my guts out to get to the femoral artery next to my spine to do a bypass. Took 4 months to recover from that.

I don't know if weed would help with kidney stones, but I would think the pain is too intense from what others have said how painful it can be.
    I did a lot of research on what weed can and cannot help when it comes to pain and other ailments. Myself, I don't think it would help me enough
    to spend the money on it (getting the green card costs over $550 in PA, then the weed costs $50-$60 for 1/8 ounce).

All that said, from what I have read, you might want to check into it for your other conditions. You'll have to find a Dr. who will prescribe it, most
    here won't and the one who will won't take any insurance, all appts. are out-of-pocket and the medical weed pharmacies only take cash too.

Since Crock has me on ignore, someone should quote this post for his consideration. I would at least look into it if I were him, but not just for the kidney stones. My .02 cents.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't do it. Medical marijuana for the most part is a home remedy with little scientific support. Long term use has many drawbacks, particularly if smoked.

Let me share a personal anecdote, based in part on what actual research has been done on this.

My younger brother developed a bi-polar scherzo effective mental disorder in his late 40's. The quacks all said this was extremely rare and couldn't find a good explanation for it. There was no family history of this disorder happening. He had been a regular marijuana user since his teens. There is now mounting evidence that long-term use such as his can result in such a disorder. He was found twice by the state to be mentally incompetent. He finally stopped using and now in his late 50's he has not had a repeat episode.

There have also been good studies of the Maori people of New Zealand, the heaviest marijuana smokers in the world. They have almost triple the rate of lung cancer and a far higher incidence of schizophrenia than would otherwise be expected.

So, be very careful of people who tell you marijuana is harmless and has no lasting side effects. It's something to consider.
    A few random cases,out of millions of users
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,271 Times in 13,404 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    A few random cases,out of millions of users
    Not really. There is about a 20% greater chance of developing the aforementioned mental illnesses.
    Weight for weight, marijuana smoked is about 3 times as carcinogeness as tobacco as it is smoked unfiltered and closer to the butt of the joint than cigarettes. It also contains more of the combustion byproducts that cause cancer. So, while marijuana smokers generally smoke less by weight of their chosen 'herb' they are still at risk for lung cancer, etc., just as cigarette smokers are.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not really. There is about a 20% greater chance of developing the aforementioned mental illnesses.
    Weight for weight, marijuana smoked is about 3 times as carcinogeness as tobacco as it is smoked unfiltered and closer to the butt of the joint than cigarettes. It also contains more of the combustion byproducts that cause cancer. So, while marijuana smokers generally smoke less by weight of their chosen 'herb' they are still at risk for lung cancer, etc., just as cigarette smokers are.
    I don't smoke,if you don't like marijuana,don't use it.
    I've seen people like you before,no personal experience,read only one POV.
    Take a hike!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

Rune (07-03-2020)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I used to know all the side effects of weed but like I forgot what they were.
    That was funny like a Tom joke.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,271 Times in 13,404 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    I don't smoke,if you don't like marijuana,don't use it.
    I've seen people like you before,no personal experience,read only one POV.
    Take a hike!
    Thank you for the gratuitous ad hominem.

It isn't my liking or disliking it, but rather observations about the effects of its use, particularly long term. There are potential negative outcomes from use just like there are with tobacco.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    That was funny like a Tom joke.
    That bad, huh?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (07-04-2020)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lucky for me the stone must have passed. One of the last things I'd want is to possibly need surgery during COVID. Made it through just enough on large doses of Ibuprofen.