Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: When Will We Recover From The Civil War? Now Is The Time.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    When Yankees stop calling Southerners stupid, racist and traitors, maybe the wounds of the War of Northern Aggression would begin to heal.

Note where the major battles took place:
    Note who fired the first shot. It was the south. Lincoln could not have tried harder to prevent war.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The problem for the south was that their economy was completely dependent upon slavery. Slavery sucked all the life out of their economy. Very little paying work existed because the wealthy did not have to pay wages for labor. Any significant amount of labor was done by slaves. This wrecked the general economy of the south. Wealth inequality was extreme. Virtually the only people with money were the slave owners themselves. Virtually everybody else scraped by on little to nothing.

On the other hand, the north is where most of the immigrants from Europe settled and worked. The northern economy thrived. The decades before the war saw the population of the north swell several fold, but the south was stuck on very few products controlled by very relatively few people.

It was suicide for the south to attack the north to initiate the war. The south had 9 million people while the north had 22 million. And of the 9 million in the south, 5 million of them were slaves. The south fough hard and did what they could do, but they were overwhelmed by impossible odds.

The reason most of the battles were fought in the south is because the south simply lacked the manpower and resources to wage distant battles. It was hopeless and doomed from the start. It was totally foolish for the south to start the war. It got a lot of people killed needlessly and accomplished nothing.

Then, after the war, just out of spite, the south immediately shifted from a shooting war into a war of ideas. Chief among them was racism. That's why the Civil War is still being fought in America.

We need it to end because it hurts us and holds us back from true progress.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

When Yankees stop calling Southerners stupid, racist and traitors, maybe the wounds of the War of Northern Aggression would begin to heal.

Note where the major battles took place:
    We need to move beyond such labels and recognize that as long as we keep the Civil War alive in rhetoric that it still hurts us.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,326 Times in 9,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The problem for the south was that their economy was completely dependent upon slavery. Slavery sucked all the life out of their economy. Very little paying work existed because the wealthy did not have to pay wages for labor. Any significant amount of labor was done by slaves. This wrecked the general economy of the south. Wealth inequality was extreme. Virtually the only people with money were the slave owners themselves. Virtually everybody else scraped by on little to nothing.

On the other hand, the north is where most of the immigrants from Europe settled and worked. The northern economy thrived. The decades before the war saw the population of the north swell several fold, but the south was stuck on very few products controlled by very relatively few people.

It was suicide for the south to attack the north to initiate the war. The south had 9 million people while the north had 22 million. And of the 9 million in the south, 5 million of them were slaves. The south fough hard and did what they could do, but they were overwhelmed by impossible odds.

The reason most of the battles were fought in the south is because the south simply lacked the manpower and resources to wage distant battles. It was hopeless and doomed from the start. It was totally foolish for the south to start the war. It got a lot of people killed needlessly and accomplished nothing.

Then, after the war, just out of spite, the south immediately shifted from a shooting war into a war of ideas. Chief among them was racism. That's why the Civil War is still being fought in America.

so what's the plan?
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trump

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

And DO keep a lookout for those naked WHITE men on bicycles. They can be an unsightly nuisance AND cause frequent traffic jams and car accidents!

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't get the idea of 'defund the police.'

How are we going to have law and order without police?

Are we to expect better policing if we spend less on training police?

Are lower-paid cops expected to do better work?

If we don't have police we should expect rampant traffic infractions, risk-taking and highway deaths. I don't see how that helps.

Without police, robberies, thefts and burglaries would increase.

Criminals would feel less restrained from carrying out ill will.

Policing needs to be better, more attuned to the needs of society, not defunded.

Take away some of the militarization and replace it with really smart training focused on building the trust of the community. That would make more sense to me.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 06-08-2020 at 08:41 PM.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

We never recovered from the Civil War.

The official war ended, and then immediately the fight went into a social struggle to repress blacks and glorify the Confederacy. That has never ended, and even though the people who began this struggle are all dead, we are still stuck with the hatred which was hatched then in an effort to justify southern slavery and the decision to launch into a totally needless, hurtful, and deadly war over nothing but stupid hatred. Racism is a stain that has marred the American cause of freedom and human rights.

Now we have our opportunity to forward our complete recovery from the Civil War.

And it came in the strangest way.

An oppressive hateful president, an insensitive cop, a black victim of police brutality.

This has become a moment.

It has become a movement. This movement has spread far beyond the American borders. There are Floyd protests all over the WORLD!

It is a chance to heal.
    Yeah...….that must be true...…...that's why Trump's approval ratings with BLACKS has now risen to over 40%. The only ones that want race divisions and segregation are the one's promoting these riots as protests. The LEFT still takes the BLACK VOTE FOR GRANTED and assumes they are to stupid to realize that they have made more progress under Mr. Trump than they have over the past 50years. Yeah....according to the left, the blacks are to stupid to realize they are being played by the left.....not because the left cares about black lives....but to get their political power back that Mr. Trump is disassembling every day that he continues in office.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

Blackwater Lunchbreak (06-08-2020)

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,479 Times in 52,483 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Note who fired the first shot. It was the south. Lincoln could not have tried harder to prevent war.
    Soooo, according to you, because one state, South Carolina, fired on a Federal fort but didn't kill anyone, that's justification to invade the South and kick off a war costing the lives of 2% of the American population?

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We need to move beyond such labels and recognize that as long as we keep the Civil War alive in rhetoric that it still hurts us.
    Since you just did by putting the entire blame of the Civil War on the South, it looks like we're not beyone labels.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,326 Times in 9,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are lower-paid cops expected to to better work?

If we don't have police we should expect rampant traffic infractions, risk-taking and highway deaths. I don't see how that helps.

Policing needs to be better, more attuned to the needs of society, not defunded.

Take away some of the militarization and replace it with really smart training focused on building the trust of the community. That would make more sense to me.
    because this is just a foreign backed coups against the rightful u.s. government, not a police reform movement. that's why it's confusing.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trump

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Hello T. A. Gardner,

An essential end to racism. Racism no longer exists at any level which presents a significant problem to society. Crushed to the point where people fear to speak of racial differences in any way which suggests any one race is superior to another. They fear to speak of itsuch because it is so roundly rejected that they know they will be ridiculed if they should utter a word of it.
    Okay so how would you accomplish that?

Me? I'd eliminate all official racial references and laws currently in effect. This would mean there'd be no boxes like "What is your race: White / Caucasian, Black / African, Asian-Pacific Islander, etc." Gone. there's no need for the government or an employer to know.

I'd change school curricula to one that was America-centric. That is it would teach students they are American, not some hyphenated American. The hyphenated version would be seen as racist and wrong. You would no longer say "I'm Irish-American or I'm African-American..." instead it would be "I'm an American." We'd teach students American. That is English as Americans speak and write it. It might be called American-English some places, but in America, it's American.
    We'd teach our kids American history and social norms not some globalist version. They can learn that later on in high school and college.

It wouldn't be to teach our children to be intolerant of other nations or races, but rather that they have a unique and uniting quality in being an American.

While we probably cannot eradicate all racism, we can and should immediately eradicate all government sanctioned and institutionalized racism like Affirmative Action. When someone talks about White Privilege or African-American studies, a person should look at the speaker with genuine curiosity and wonder what the hell they're talking about. Get rid of that stuff entirely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Blackwater Lunchbreak (06-08-2020)

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Soooo, according to you, because one state, South Carolina, fired on a Federal fort but didn't kill anyone, that's justification to invade the South and kick off a war costing the lives of 2% of the American population?

Since you just did by putting the entire blame of the Civil War on the South, it looks like we're not beyone labels.
    The reason the Civil War began was because of slavery. Slavery is wrong, but the southern economy was dependent on it. The south was locked into a technology freeze, stuck on using slaves to produce cotton and tobacco as the north boomed with a new industrial age, jobs and a growing economy. Lincoln's new Republican party was willing to accept slavery in the south, but was not willing to allow it to grow into the new western states which were being formed and added to the country. People wanted to move to those states out of the north in search of their own land to work as they pleased. If those states were allowed to become slave states then that killed opportunity for all but slave owners. Slavery killed the economy wherever it went. Employers did not have to pay wages for labor when they could simply buy slaves instead.

The north and the south argued over whether each new state should be a slave state or a free state. A precarious balance existed for some time before the Civil War and the number of states remained equal between slave and free. This ensured that Congress would not favor either system. But eventually more free states were added than slave states. That meant that Congress would go against the south. And the imbalance was getting worse for the south. The south felt it was in a no-win situation. The south felt forced to secede and start their own nation. Even then it was hoped it would not lead to war. But when the south began seizing union federal property under military action, that was going too far.

The south initially had the better army. They had standing militias for the purpose of hunting down escaped slaves. They were better trained and equipped. They did well in the beginning of the war, but they couldn't hope to win. The north was already way more powerful. When the south attacked the north it was the same sort of madness as when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. IF they couldn't immediately go and crush the north, they had no hope of prevailing in a protracted war.

Racism arose out of guilt over simply being wrong about believing slavery was OK, and being wrong when they thought they could beat the USA. Southern whites took their guilt out on blacks, and have been doing so ever since. It's time for racists to finally admit they were wrong and put it all behind us, let people of any color have the same chance at success as anybody else.

If whites were really smarter than blacks they never would have interbred with them. That has completely blurred the lines of race and ensured that every individual today has the same chance at birth of being just as smart as anybody else. Economic success has nothing to do with what color an individual is at birth and everything to do with the economic power of the parents they are born to. Being born into a family line of cross-generational poverty is the greatest determining factor in poverty in the USA. From Jim Crow to voter repression to red lining to the forced family separation of the Great Society, the odds are stacked against a poor black kid and for a rich white kid.

And it's sad because this sickness in America cuts us off from vast potential human capital. We will be able to accomplish so much more when we finally put racism behind us.

We have got to end the Civil War that still exists in hearts and minds, and in institutions such as improperly trained and commanded police forces.

America will be better for it.

Time's up.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    No . You seem to be projecting.
    White death by cop is 84.3%, black death by cop is 13.6% of total deaths. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6080222/ That somewhat correlates to the percentage of population but if you're white you're slightly more likely to die by cop. Male death by cop is 97.4% yet males make up about half the population. You obviously don't understand statistics. Cops need to start blowing away less males and more females for more equality between the sexes.
    Correct, which is why I didn't mention the price of tea in China.
    Many fatalities are unavoidable or are consistent with how police are trained. Personally I'd like to see the cops have immediate access to the perps' record and if they are repeat offenders of violent crime, summary execution is in order. Cop fucks up, execute the cop.
    the minimum is negligent homicide by the cops, maximum is 2nd degree murder.

Nothing. It has to do with the OP.
    Thanks! I agree with a good portion of your thoughts on this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

anonymoose (06-08-2020)

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,713 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Are lower-paid cops expected to do better work?

I am agnostic about it, but I believe the idea generally is to dismantle existing police departments which are perceived to be corrupt and militarized and replace them with police departments which are accountable to the citizens of the community

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-09-2020)

18. #44 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,617 Times in 17,056 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am agnostic about it, but I believe the idea generally is to dismantle existing police departments which are perceived to be corrupt and militarized and replace them with police departments which are accountable to the citizens of the community
    So you want to fire all cops and replace them?
    (keeping in mind most cops are good)
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,479 Times in 52,483 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

The reason the Civil War began was because of slavery. Slavery is wrong, but the southern economy was dependent on it. The south was locked into a technology freeze, stuck on using slaves to produce cotton and tobacco as the north boomed with a new industrial age, jobs and a growing economy. Lincoln's new Republican party was willing to accept slavery in the south, but was not willing to allow it to grow into the new western states which were being formed and added to the country. People wanted to move to those states out of the north in search of their own land to work as they pleased. If those states were allowed to become slave states then that killed opportunity for all but slave owners. Slavery killed the economy wherever it went. Employers did not have to pay wages for labor when they could simply buy slaves instead.

The north and the south argued over whether each new state should be a slave state or a free state. A precarious balance existed for some time before the Civil War and the number of states remained equal between slave and free. This ensured that Congress would not favor either system. But eventually more free states were added than slave states. That meant that Congress would go against the south. And the imbalance was getting worse for the south. The south felt it was in a no-win situation. The south felt forced to secede and start their own nation. Even then it was hoped it would not lead to war. But when the south began seizing union federal property under military action, that was going too far.

The south initially had the better army. They had standing militias for the purpose of hunting down escaped slaves. They were better trained and equipped. They did well in the beginning of the war, but they couldn't hope to win. The north was already way more powerful. When the south attacked the north it was the same sort of madness as when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. IF they couldn't immediately go and crush the north, they had no hope of prevailing in a protracted war.

Racism arose out of guilt over simply being wrong about believing slavery was OK, and being wrong when they thought they could beat the USA. Southern whites took their guilt out on blacks, and have been doing so ever since. It's time for racists to finally admit they were wrong and put it all behind us, let people of any color have the same chance at success as anybody else.

If whites were really smarter than blacks they never would have interbred with them. That has completely blurred the lines of race and ensured that every individual today has the same chance at birth of being just as smart as anybody else. Economic success has nothing to do with what color an individual is at birth and everything to do with the economic power of the parents they are born to. Being born into a family line of cross-generational poverty is the greatest determining factor in poverty in the USA. From Jim Crow to voter repression to red lining to the forced family separation of the Great Society, the odds are stacked against a poor black kid and for a rich white kid.

And it's sad because this sickness in America cuts us off from vast potential human capital. We will be able to accomplish so much more when we finally put racism behind us.

We have got to end the Civil War that still exists in hearts and minds, and in institutions such as improperly trained and commanded police forces.

America will be better for it.

Time's up.
    Yes, slavery is wrong, but you said the Civil War began because South Carolina shot at some Feds and that Lincoln was justified to invade the South in a war killing 2% of the population.

As a side note, notice how upset some people were at the prospect of COVID killing 3% of the population? That's a disease. An accident of nature. Lincoln invading the South was intentional.

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"