Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancet study on dangers of hydroxychloroquine discredited

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Lancet study on dangers of hydroxychloroquine discredited

A study published on 22 May in The Lancet used hospital records procured by a little-known data analytics company called Surgisphere to conclude that coronavirus patients taking chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine were more likely to show an irregular heart rhythm—a known side effect thought to be rare—and were more likely to die in the hospital.

Within days, some large randomized trials of the drugs—the type that might prove or disprove the retrospective study’s analysis—screeched to a halt. Solidarity, the World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) megatrial of potential COVID-19 treatments, paused recruitment into its hydroxychloroquine arm, for example.
    ~~
    the Lancet results have begun to unravel—and Surgisphere, which provided patient data for two other high-profile COVID-19 papers, has come under withering online scrutiny from researchers and amateur sleuths. They have pointed out many red flags in the Lancet paper, including the astonishing number of patients involved and details about their demographics and prescribed dosing that seem implausible

The Lancet issued an Expression of Concern (EOC) saying “important scientific questions have been raised about data” in the paper and noting that “an independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere and is ongoing, with results expected very shortly.”

Hours earlier, The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) issued its own EOC about a second study using Surgisphere data, published on 1 May. The paper reported that taking certain blood pressure drugs including angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors didn’t appear to increase the risk of death among COVID-19 patients, as some researchers had suggested.

Meanwhile, the questions swirling around the Lancet paper have left leaders of the halted chloroquine trials weighing whether to restart. “The problem is, we are left with all the damage that has been done,” says White, a co-investigator on a trial of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 prevention that was halted at the request of U.K. regulators last week. Headlines proclaiming deadly effects will make it hard to recruit patients to key studies, he says. “The whole world thinks now that these drugs are poisonous.”

Other researchers immediately took issue with the analysis. The study doesn’t properly control for the likelihood that patients getting the experimental drugs were sicker than the controls, says Matthew Semler, a critical care physician at Vanderbilt University. “If you have a physician sitting with two patients who have coronavirus, and the physician chooses to give one of them hydroxychloroquine, they’re doing it for a reason,” he says. The patient may be relying on high levels of supplemental oxygen, for example, or getting worse over time. But those kinds of details aren’t available about the patients in the Lancet study, he notes.

Other researchers were befuddled by the data themselves. Though 66% of the patients were reportedly treated in North America, the reported doses tended to be higher than the guidelines set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, White notes. The authors claim to have included 4402 patients in Africa, 561 of whom died, but it seems unlikely that African hospitals would have detailed electronic health records for so many patients, White says.

The study also reported more deaths in Australian hospitals than the country’s official COVID-19 death statistics,
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-be-unraveling (much more at link)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Into the Night (06-05-2020), Stretch (06-03-2020), Truth Detector (06-04-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

I'm not even a physician and I noticed the Lancet paper did not control for severity of illness and the timefame for administering hydroxychloroquine with any co-drug.

There is a war on hydroxychloroquine,and I can't help but think is politically driven

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

ExpressLane (06-03-2020), Grokmaster (06-03-2020), Stretch (06-03-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    I'm not even a physician and I noticed the Lancet paper did not control for severity of illness and the timefame for administering hydroxychloroquine with any co-drug.

There is a war on hydroxychloroquine,and I can't help but think is politically driven
    Read this from The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oxychloroquine

It is worse than that. The company is a complete scam.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

anatta (06-03-2020), ExpressLane (06-03-2020), Grokmaster (06-03-2020), Stretch (06-03-2020), Truth Detector (06-04-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Will any of these JPP leftists admit that they were duped by this study? More importantly will the media report this? Will you see it on CNN or MSNBC? Doubt it. Dishonest fuckers

So blinded by Trump hatred

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

ExpressLane (06-03-2020), Grokmaster (06-03-2020), Into the Night (06-05-2020), Truth Detector (06-04-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bret and Heather have been aghast at some of the crap that the alleged best of the best medical journals have been running lately, and as well the poor performance of the medical expert class generally.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

anatta (06-03-2020), ExpressLane (06-03-2020), Grokmaster (06-03-2020)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post

In my opinion, it is being selfishly and financially driven

I also believe it was originally being driven as a sideshow!

The drug is known for one major use- it is known for it's success in dealing with pneumonia- but with some very dangerous side-effects that are very well known in the medical/pharmaceutical Industry.

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post

The drug is known for one major use- it is known for it's success in dealing with pneumonia- but with some very dangerous side-effects that are very well known in the medical/pharmaceutical Industry.

Every drug has dangerous side effects. Hydroxychloroquine has been used a great deal. The only difference now is that President Trump brought it up which caused the Orange Man Bad crowd to lose their shit. The Lancet and NEJM has a real problem on their hands.

The only good thing for them is the corrupt media won't report this. You won't hear it on CNN since they interviewed the Doctor who published it.

Now do not take what I am saying as an endorsement of hydroxychloroquine. I am not endorsing it or against. I think that the data is still inconclusive. But, what we do know is that the Orange Man Bad crowd jumped all over this and they have yet to admit that they were played by faulty data.

Reading this article, it is likely that this company made up its data. That is so fucked up it is hard to wrap your brain around it.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

anatta (06-05-2020), Darth Omar (06-03-2020), ExpressLane (06-03-2020), Into the Night (06-05-2020), Stretch (06-03-2020), Truth Detector (06-04-2020)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Trump is discredited. Everything that piece of shit says is a lie.

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Every drug has dangerous side effects. Hydroxychloroquine has been used a great deal. The only difference now is that President Trump brought it up which caused the Orange Man Bad crowd to lose their shit. The Lancet and NEJM has a real problem on their hands.

The only good thing for them is the corrupt media won't report this. You won't hear it on CNN since they interviewed the Doctor who published it.

Now do not take what I am saying as an endorsement of hydroxychloroquine. I am not endorsing it or against. I think that the data is still inconclusive. But, what we do know is that the Orange Man Bad crowd jumped all over this and they have yet to admit that they were played by faulty data.

Reading this article, it is likely that this company made up its data. That is so fucked up it is hard to wrap your brain around it.
    Thanks Don Duly noted!

All I would like to add, is the damn drug is not a "political play toy", and both sides need to stop playing with it!

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Also, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. It excels against autoimmune disorders.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (06-03-2020), Truth Detector (06-04-2020)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks Don Duly noted!

All I would like to add, is the damn drug is not a "political play toy", and both sides need to stop playing with it!
    Giving hope that the experts are about to figure out something that works is not "playing with it"....it is being a leader.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-04-2020)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks Don Duly noted!

Agreed. It should not be a political football for either side

21. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (06-03-2020)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Giving hope that the experts are about to figure out something that works is not "playing with it"....it is being a leader.
    I hope you are right! And I wish you are right. And for Trump's sake, I wish he is right!

But, let's all dial back and give the medical institutions a chance to test it properly, and tell us of the results.

That is all I have said all along.

I honestly believe it could be of some use based on the true application for the drug, and that is it's success in helping patients fight Pneumonia. This virus cause pneumonia.

But knowing this, and also considering the harmful side effects in patients with heart disease, it may be just limited to those who are fighting pneumonia, who are absent of any heart or blood disease.

But, yes, lets get the research done first. By all means available.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I hope you are right! And I wish you are right. And for Trump's sake, I wish he is right!

But, let's all dial back and give the medical institutions a chance to test it properly, and tell us of the results.

That is all I have said all along.

I honestly believe it could be of some use based on the true application for the drug, and that is it's success in helping patients fight Pneumonia. This virus cause pneumonia.

But knowing this, and also considering the harmful side effects in patients with heart disease, it may be just limited to those who are fighting pneumonia, who are absent of any heart or blood disease.

But, yes, lets get the research done first. By all means available.
    The safety of this drug is well established....it has been in use a very long time....many decades...many many millions of people have used it.

DARK AGES SUCK!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Agreed. It should not be a political football for either side
    Which side has been the greater offender?

Given that the So-Called Journalists have written hundreds of pieces of manipulative crap apparently only because Trump has hopes for this drug I know what I think.

DARK AGES SUCK!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post: