Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus: Are You In It For The Long Run?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Headline story in the SF Chronicle today:

Choosing between tragedies: Mass protests vs. coronavirus safety

Thousands of people across the Bay Area hit the streets over the weekend to protest the killing of a black man by police in Minneapolis, and infectious disease expert John Swartzberg’s first thought, watching the peaceful demonstrations from his home in Lafayette, was: “I’m so grateful. I hope the world hears them.”

And his next was: “Wow, so many of them aren’t wearing masks.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15309625.php
    It's all about priorities and convenience. Risk vs. reward.
    Drive a car or ride a horse? (AGW)
    Green New Deal or destroy modern conveniences for the nebulous of possibly, maybe "saving the planet" for six generations from now?
    Protect yourself against coronavirus on the off chance it will actually prevent you from getting it or the comfort of breathing fresh air?
    It's called economy of scale. Over time economy of scale wins out, every time.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    It's all about priorities and convenience. Risk vs. reward.
    Drive a car or ride a horse? (AGW)
    Green New Deal or destroy modern conveniences for the nebulous of possibly, maybe "saving the planet" for six generations from now?
    Protect yourself against coronavirus on the off chance it will actually prevent you from getting it or the comfort of breathing fresh air?
    It's called economy of scale. Over time economy of scale wins out, every time.
    Which is why a second wave is almost inevitable.

And that makes it all the more important to follow the CDC guidelines.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Maybe you addressed this later ITT but I think it goes without saying there is zero social distancing going on in these protests. You have thousands of people marching side by side on the streets and this is in cities where shelter-in-place orders are in effect. They won't let you go to work but you can walk next to hundreds of others on the street. Not sure how this is helping us get past the virus.
    I agree.

A well-organized protest would stipulate masks and 6' + spacing. And would also say when, what and for how long, and how important it is to go right home after. That way it makes it hard for outsiders to turn it into something else.

But then, realistically, we are dealing with an emotionally charged social movement in reaction to a shocking murder. Being emotional does not lead to logical thinking and planning.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,821 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm waiting for the 'herd immunity' to kick in.
    You need over 84 percent of the people to get it. That is a way off. It is almost like a measles party mentality. Except this one can kill you and it has lingering effects for many, like permanent lung damage. Kids get Kawasaki disease. this is nothing to play with. A lot of body bags will be filled before we reach herd.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Jack (06-03-2020)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,417 Times in 52,442 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    One of the things that was so shocking about the Coronavirus when it was new, was the realization that everyday life had to change, and it had to change for a long time.

We learned that we have to get a vaccine, or herd immunity, before we can go back to life as we knew it.

If we try to blow this off and rush things?

We could have a second wave, a third wave, multiple waves.

Everybody heard this, but it seems a lot of people have not done a good job of making a commitment to fight this thing till the end.

And we have very poor leadership. That is hurting us a lot. DT is acting like it's all over, and so are his sycophants.

Just because the headlines get replaced every day doesn't mean the old ones become meaningless.
    With any luck, I've already had it. If so, y'all are on your own!

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Which is why a second wave is almost inevitable.

And that makes it all the more important to follow the CDC guidelines.
    I only knew one person that got infected in the first wave. Physician in Boston. Nobody here. Don't even know anybody that knows anybody that got infected around here.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,103 Times in 12,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

I dont take any long view in the sense that I dont expect to be around long, but I do in the sense that we are a society that is in collapse and I scan the internet looking for some reasons for optimism that my peers are wising up, or at least figuring out that they need to. Most of what the so-called journalism folks produce is somewhere between crap and propaganda but I do a lot of skimming of stuff on this Bug Out OF China looking for something newsworthy and helpful, for instance I am seeing a lot of stuff that indicates that this bug is becoming less lethal through evolution as Bret Weinstein and his wife said long ago was likely to happen. Everyday is depressing though getting the very low quality of our political class and medical experts shoved in my face, and as an educated person knowing what this very poor performance from our Elites means going forwards. This society is crashing, and there is no indication that we will get capable people in the cockpit before we hit ground, which is going to hurt.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    You need over 84 percent of the people to get it. That is a way off. It is almost like a measles party mentality. Except this one can kill you and it has lingering effects for many, like permanent lung damage. Kids get Kawasaki disease. this is nothing to play with. A lot of body bags will be filled before we reach herd.
    Yes. Jack is trying to avoid checking out like this.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Unfortunately that's no guarantee. We don't know if immunity can be developed.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    No worries. According to the trump worshipping "mental midgets", the CV is a hoax and will be gone when the weather gets warm.
    As we can see in Brazil! Nice and warm down there, I believe, and it'll get a lot hotter as they destroy the Amazon forests.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-03-2020)

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Penderyn,

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    As we can see in Brazil! Nice and warm down there, I believe, and it'll get a lot hotter as they destroy the Amazon forests.
    Brazil had a bad day yesterday.

Topped the USA in both new cases and deaths.

Apparently, having an idiotic RW blowhard deny the virus is not a very good approach.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-03-2020), Iolo/Penderyn (06-03-2020)

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Unfortunately that's no guarantee. We don't know if immunity can be developed.
    True, but there's an 80% chance my wife and I won't be affected. We're both in our earl-mid-60s but in good health, so maybe slightly less. Still great odds.

The bottom line here is we're all going to get it unless a vaccine is developed. More will die unless a cure is developed.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

True, but there's an 80% chance my wife and I won't be affected. We're both in our earl-mid-60s but in good health, so maybe slightly less. Still great odds.

The bottom line here is we're all going to get it unless a vaccine is developed. More will die unless a cure is developed.
    That's actually a good news point: No, we are not all going to get it. We don't have to. Predictions were that a majority would eventually get it, but not all.

We must all continue to strive to be in the few who never get it.

It would be nice to think that we probably already had it, but without an effective antibody test, we can't know that.

Logically, it is unwise to make any assumptions here.

In case we did not previously have it, we must continue to avoid the possibility of becoming infected in the future.

It would be tragic to make an incorrect assumption, and then pay a terrible price for being wrong.

The smartest thing to do is to continue assuming we have not had it, and continue to follow the distancing guidelines until more is known.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-03-2020)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

That's actually a good news point: No, we are not all going to get it. We don't have to. Predictions were that a majority would eventually get it, but not all.

We must all continue to strive to be in the few who never get it.

It would be nice to think that we probably already had it, but without an effective antibody test, we can't know that.

Logically, it is unwise to make any assumptions here.

In case we did not previously have it, we must continue to avoid the possibility of becoming infected in the future.

It would be tragic to make an incorrect assumption, and then pay a terrible price for being wrong.

The smartest thing to do is to continue assuming we have not had it, and continue to follow the distancing guidelines until more is known.
    The main problem, IMHO, is that one of the richest nations, and certainly most powerful, has gutted itself for two decades and now can't handle a simple pandemic.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-03-2020)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,623 Times in 11,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey a 60s target thanks Dutch1-14-2017 8-32-56_001.jpg

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-03-2020)