Thread: Coronavirus: Are You In It For The Long Run?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Coronavirus: Are You In It For The Long Run?

A lot of people seem to get way too hung up on the latest news, the latest headlines.

We live in this unsustainable throw-away world of disposable products, and it seems like the news is becoming a disposable product. The latest headlines are attention-grabbing and we want to know the latest, want to talk about what it means (and here, apparently, we want to talk about one another more than the actual political subject,) but what about the bigger picture?

Each day's headlines contribute to a much bigger picture. Really, the long standing trends and changes are more important.

How does this obsession with the latest news hurt us?

Well, look at the Coronavirus.

Most people were great at social distancing at first, right after the national emergency was declared. But as the headlines got stale, people wanted to be done with that, wanted to move on.

The only problem is the pandemic has not gone away.

If we drop our guard, stop practicing social distancing measures, that allows the virus to have a resurgence.

That is apparently what happened in 1918, and it looks like it is about to happen all over again.

People, we need to think beyond the last thing that was said.

We have to see the bigger picture.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Charoite (06-03-2020), Geeko Sportivo (06-03-2020)