Members banned from this thread: Adolf Stalin

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump calls for Supreme Court to reconsider flag burning laws amid protests

1. #76 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,603 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    You know nothing about me.
    I wouldn't want to know more about you. You are irrelevant.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-03-2020)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    There should be more respect for the flag in this country. As well as what is stands for. Pretty simple.
    You cannot mandate or legislate "respect". The more you try and force the issue, the more folks will strive to oppose it.
    Last edited by Tacomaman; 06-03-2020 at 02:03 AM.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-03-2020)

5. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    You cannot mandate or legislate "respect". The more you try and force the issue, the more folks will strive to oppose.
    Truthism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    The other hypocritical side of the issue that is sad is that these devout
    "Patriots" would scream bloody murder if flying the Confederate flag was made illegal.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-03-2020)

8. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The other hypocritical side of the issue that is sad is that these devout
    "Patriots" would scream bloody murder if flying the Confederate flag was made illegal.
    How many state and local government buildings have been forced to take the Confederate flag down because some were "offended'?
    What about monuments? What about school names and mascots? Where does it end?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

10. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,097 Times in 12,624 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    There are not laws against hate speech. I think you are confusing hate speech with hate crimes.

Some colleges have speech codes prohibiting hate speech but those are only permitted in private colleges because free speech protections do not apply. If they are public colleges most of those provisions have been struck down.
    A New York City law has new guidance that states the use of the term "illegal alien" to "demean, humiliate or harass a person" is illegal, according to the New York City Commission on Human Rights.

The guidance "defines discrimination on the basis of perceived or actual immigration status and national origin under the New York City Human Rights Law in public accommodations, employment and housing." It also includes the term "illegals."

The guidance, announced Sept. 25, also states "harassing or discriminating against someone for their use of another language or their limited English proficiency, and threatening to call ICE on a person based on a discriminatory motive, are considered to be in violation" of the New York City Human Rights Law.

Those found in violation of the law can be fined up to $250,000.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-k/3836672002/
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

12. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,630 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Do you think rioters who steal TVs really care about Trump?
    My post wasn't about the rioters....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

14. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    How many state and local government buildings have been forced to take the Confederate flag down because some were "offended'?
    What about monuments? What about school names and mascots? Where does it end?
    I can assure that it wont stop by attempting to make flag burning illegal. What if every state decided to make burning a state flag illegal? What if Michigan made flying a Confederate flag illegal? What if Alabama made it illegal to not fly an American flag on your property?

Personally, I have no problem with the monuments. They are part of our history. However, I do believe that an overwhelming majority of Confederate flag fliers are not historians, but rednecks with agendas.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-03-2020)

16. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,329 Times in 53,234 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ahh, shut up. You dissed a WWII vet for flying the American flag. Don't give me your bullshit that they fought for you to burn the American flag. It wasn't even an issue when it was against the law in 48 states until 1989. Pound sand.
    You really should stop lying. It destroys what little credibility you have left after having your lips sewed to Trumpelthinskin's butt.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,329 Times in 53,234 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

You only know one WWII vet? Your opinion is insignificant, if not a down right lie.
    You do realize, don't you, that most of them have passed away by now? The war ended 75 years ago. And guess what? We won.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

As one who used to burn the Unionist flag here as an important political work in school when they still celebrated 'Empire Day', I consider flag-burning a basic human right.

19. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You really should stop lying. It destroys what little credibility you have left after having your lips sewed to Trumpelthinskin's butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You do realize, don't you, that most of them have passed away by now? The war ended 75 years ago. And guess what? We won.

You're delirious.

Yes, most are dead now, and yes, we won (DUH!).
    Still doesn't negate the fact that they had a much
    better appreciation of the American flag than you
    liberal pond scum.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

21. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

You only know one WWII vet? Your opinion is insignificant, if not a down right lie.
    Yes. You realize most of them are dead. My dad turned 99 this week. As I said, he would consider you 'an idiot' or worse. He doesn't suffer fools. Like you. Couldn't care less if you believe me. He is about as liberal as they come.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (06-03-2020), Phantasmal (06-03-2020), ThatOwlWoman (06-03-2020)

23. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can assure that it wont stop by attempting to make flag burning illegal. What if every state decided to make burning a state flag illegal? What if Michigan made flying a Confederate flag illegal? What if Alabama made it illegal to not fly an American flag on your property?

Personally, I have no problem with the monuments. They are part of our history. However, I do believe that an overwhelming majority of Confederate flag fliers are not historians, but rednecks with agendas.

Again, it was illegal to burn the American flag in 48 states up until 1989. We Americans, who respect the American flag and the great nation it represents, must respect the decision of the SCOTUS.
    I would question what our founders would have thought of that decision. Or those who fought alongside those who died defending it.

This isn't about Alabama. This isn't about the Confederate flag. And it sure as hell isn't about Michigan being forced to fly the Confederate flag.
    Where the hell all that bullshit came from is deflection, absurd.

It's about the AMERICAN flag, and the respect for the symbol of the greatest country on earth.

A few points in history that the American Flag was flown in victory or pride...

1. When we won our independence: (legend has it Betsy Ross made the American Flag for George Washington, a symbol of a new nation).
    2.The Battle of San Juan Hill: (Roosevelt and his victorious “Rough Riders” raised an American Flag and posed for the now-famous picture atop the hill.
    3. Raising the Flag Over Iwo-Jima: (One of the most popular American flag images in American history).
    4.Armstrong Walks on the Moon: (Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, the first to the moon, planted the American flag as we were the first to step foot on the moon).
    5. After 9/11: (The American flag was raised and flew flew in remembrance, strength and pride all over this nation, as well as at "Ground Zero")

Those are just five of the many significant events in out history that The American flag was flown in victory or pride. Why burn it? Or do you hate America too?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

25. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,090 Times in 33,817 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Yes. You realize most of them are dead. My dad turned 99 this week. As I said, he would consider you 'an idiot' or worse. He doesn't suffer fools. Like you. Couldn't care less if you believe me. He is about as liberal as they come.
    Please give your dad my regards! 99, that’s awesome

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-03-2020)