Thread: Trump Pulls USA Out Of The WHO - If He Has The Power -

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Trump Pulls USA Out Of The WHO - If He Has The Power -

"President Trump has announced that he is immediately halting the decades-long U.S. membership in the World Health Organization over its response to China's handling of the coronavirus epidemic.

In a press briefing Friday at the White House, Trump said, "We will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs."

Trump said the decision came because WHO has "failed to make" reforms the U.S. requested. Last week, Trump sent a letter to WHO's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, outlining his views on how the agency favors China and asking the organization to "commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days." It's not clear what specific reforms the U.S. has requested, because those discussions have not been made public. Nor did Trump say why he acted on the threat after one week rather than waiting a month."

""I disagree with the president's decision," said Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, in a statement after the announcement. "Withdrawing U.S. membership could, among other things, interfere with clinical trials that are essential to the development of vaccines, which citizens of the United States as well as others in the world need. And withdrawing could make it harder to work with other countries to stop viruses before they get to the United States."

Dr. Tom Frieden, former head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, noted: "The United States helped create the World Health Organization. And we're turning our back on it — we're turning our back on the world. That makes us less safe, it makes the world less safe.

"Every country in the world has a veto at WHO — except now, perhaps the United States will not."

It's questionable whether the president can make a unilateral decision to withdraw from WHO.

"It is an overreach of his constitutional powers," said Larry Gostin, director of the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University. Gostin said he believes that the president may need congressional approval to terminate U.S. membership in the U.N. agency.

"The only situation where he can do this is if Congress had agreed beforehand to give these powers to the president," said Kelley Lee, a professor of public health at Simon Fraser University. "It is the role of legal advisers to inform the president on what authority he can exert. He is either not receiving good advice or not listening to it.""

NPR: Trump Says U.S. Will Withdraw From WHO. Does He Have The Authority To Do It?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-30-2020), Earl (05-30-2020)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

What Trump won't do to deflect the responsibility for his incompetence and mishandling of the corona pandemic, and this latest blunder will only make the situation worse; there's nothing like incompetence to remedy incompetence.
    Last edited by Trumpet; 05-30-2020 at 09:22 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Groan At Trumpet For This Awful Post:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Let's see ...
    We're in the middle of a Pandemic ...
    ... and Trump pulls the US out of the World Health Organization.
    Yeah ... this seems like something Trump would do, this does NOT surprise me.
    (how much longer before November gets here?)

8. The Following 2 Users Groan At Jack For This Awful Post:

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

jimmymccready (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), Trumpet (05-30-2020)

10. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Don't need the WHO which is a wholly owned subsidiary of china.

Y'all remember China don't you? The cause of all of this?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Earl (05-30-2020)

12. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Let's see ...
    I know, right?

He has this penchant for doing whatever makes the least sense.

He was deposited in this world with a strong resentment for the institutions which make our advanced life possible. The very organizations which separate us from hunter-gatherers, he opposes them all.

He has glorified running around with a chip on your shoulder.

Whatever works well for society, he is against it.

The truly amazing thing is that evangelists ever had any support for him.

Well, I guess that's why fewer and fewer people are willing to identify as evangelists.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Jack (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020), Trumpet (05-30-2020)

15. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Let's see ...
    He wants to put pressure on them to dump the Ethiopian Marxist shill put in place by the Chinese, good is my response!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (05-30-2020)

17. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    He wants to put pressure on them to dump the Ethiopian Marxist shill put in place by the Chinese, good is my response!
    Indeed, Havana...indeed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-30-2020)

19. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jack,

I know, right?

He has this penchant for doing whatever makes the least sense.

He was deposited in this world with a strong resentment for the institutions which make our advanced life possible. The very organizations which separate us from hunter-gatherers, he opposes them all.

He has glorified running around with a chip on your shoulder.

Whatever works well for society, he is against it.

The truly amazing thing is that evangelists ever had any support for him.

Well, I guess that's why fewer and fewer people are willing to identify as evangelists.
    Does it make sense to cheer the economic loss to millions of Americans and their families caused by the virus from China that China failed to contain?

You certainly did.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

21. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A swift new unknown pandemic grips the world. Humans have no immunity, no treatment, no cure, no vaccine. It takes thousands of victims a day. The United States quickly surpasses the rest of the world in deaths. Fortunately, there is already an organization among the nations of the world to deal with common health threats. The USA was a founding member of that organization. Along comes DT, who handled the whole crisis terribly, saw his polling drop, desperately needs somewhere else to try to shift the blame, a trick he is masterfully skilled at after a lifetime of practice, so all of a sudden, from ONE PERSON, you-know-who, comes this narrative that the World Health Organization is the problem.

Well if HE knew so much, then why did he even LISTEN TO THEM IN JANUARY???

And if he DID LISTEN, then why did he not continue to listen as by the end of January the WHO was holding back nothing, and warned the world in no uncertain terms of the danger which faced us all.

"January 30, the WHO named the coronavirus outbreak that originated in Wuhan, China, a Public Health Emergency of International Concern,

warning that "all countries should be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management,

contact tracing
    and prevention of onward spread" " (wiki)

And what did DT say on that day?

"“We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully,” Trump told his audience on Thursday, though a sixth U.S. case of the respiratory illness was confirmed hours before his speech. “But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for us … that I can assure you.”"

So here we are, 4 months later, 100,000 dead and no end in sight.

Oh, but he did claim 'light at the end of the tunnel' around Easter. Remember that one?

SMH

He is -SO- outta here in November!

I'm already signed up for vote-by-mail.

Everybody should be.

22. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

24. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yet another illustration of why voting this November is so critical. The destruction of our alliances, our institutions, our nation will continue until we can purge ourselves of the vile filth that is IMPOTUS.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

25. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

moon (05-30-2020), Phantasmal (05-30-2020)

27. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump and his hate-filled supporters want to blame WHO instead of Trump.
    Russian trolls and their supporters go on Ignore, automatically: no second chance.

28. The Following User Groans At jimmymccready For This Awful Post:

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

moon (05-30-2020)

30. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,185 Times in 33,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    "President Trump has announced that he is immediately halting the decades-long U.S. membership in the World Health Organization over its response to China's handling of the coronavirus epidemic.

In a press briefing Friday at the White House, Trump said, "We will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs."

Trump said the decision came because WHO has "failed to make" reforms the U.S. requested. Last week, Trump sent a letter to WHO's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, outlining his views on how the agency favors China and asking the organization to "commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days." It's not clear what specific reforms the U.S. has requested, because those discussions have not been made public. Nor did Trump say why he acted on the threat after one week rather than waiting a month."

""I disagree with the president's decision," said Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, in a statement after the announcement. "Withdrawing U.S. membership could, among other things, interfere with clinical trials that are essential to the development of vaccines, which citizens of the United States as well as others in the world need. And withdrawing could make it harder to work with other countries to stop viruses before they get to the United States."

Dr. Tom Frieden, former head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, noted: "The United States helped create the World Health Organization. And we're turning our back on it — we're turning our back on the world. That makes us less safe, it makes the world less safe.

"Every country in the world has a veto at WHO — except now, perhaps the United States will not."

It's questionable whether the president can make a unilateral decision to withdraw from WHO.

"It is an overreach of his constitutional powers," said Larry Gostin, director of the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University. Gostin said he believes that the president may need congressional approval to terminate U.S. membership in the U.N. agency.

"The only situation where he can do this is if Congress had agreed beforehand to give these powers to the president," said Kelley Lee, a professor of public health at Simon Fraser University. "It is the role of legal advisers to inform the president on what authority he can exert. He is either not receiving good advice or not listening to it.""

NPR: Trump Says U.S. Will Withdraw From WHO. Does He Have The Authority To Do It?
    So, I want to know if we get the vaccine developed by China or others if we No longer belong to a WHO and they develop it before the USA?

31. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

moon (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

33. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    What Trump won't do to deflect the responsibility for his incompetence and mishandling of the corona pandemic, and this latest blunder will only make the situation worse; there's nothing like incompetence to remedy incompetence.
    Exactly, and as the quote from Senator Alexander above implied, lessening the share of information during a worldwide pandemic isn’t beneficial

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020), Trumpet (05-30-2020)

35. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    Trump and his hate-filled supporters want to blame WHO instead of Trump.
    And China, too. It's everyone else's fault but #COVID45's.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

36. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

jimmymccready (05-30-2020), moon (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

38. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yet another illustration of why voting this November is so critical. The destruction of our alliances, our institutions, our nation will continue until we can purge ourselves of the vile filth that is IMPOTUS.
    If I had any doubts about Trump you just removed them.