Thread: Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have never been that interested in cruise ships. If I had to do it, river cruises would be the way to go for me. My top choices would be Volga-Baltic waterway, eastern Europe Danube, Amazon, and I would have to research it but I think there are river trips on the Yangtze.
    Agree with that. We once drove down (up?) the Moselle. The towns looked like drawings from a book of fairy tales and the Rieslings we tasted along the way were better than anything I get here.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 05-30-2020 at 10:39 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Cypress (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

There are many things in this life that can kill you, so it is not shipwrecks which concern me. Although I confess to an irrational fear of a potential zombie apocalypse!

Being stuck on the ocean on a crowded boat just doesn't sound that appealing to me.
    Hey, she lived to be 89, so she must have known something

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have never been that interested in cruise ships. If I had to do it, river cruises would be the way to go for me. My top choices would be Volga-Baltic waterway, eastern Europe Danube, Amazon, and I would have to research it but I think there are river trips on the Yangtze.
    Ditto.

We've only been on one "cruise" which wasn't really a cruise at all, but a trip from Washington up through the Inner Passage to Alaska on the Alaska Marine Highway System on MV Columbia in 2013. The trip took three days. It was absolutely wonderful. You could bring your own food, or buy it on board. You could choose from a berth/cabin, or camp out on deck. You could even bring your pets but they had to stay below decks in the ferry's vehicle hold. It was just regular every day people, some going up for jobs, some returning home after visiting Outside, some just tourists like us who wanted the experience. Everyone had a story. If you wandered around and said hi, you met some really cool ppl.

Couple of pics:

Camping on deck:

The Columbia is undergoing overhaul now, and the whole AMHS is in financial trouble and cutting routes.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-30-2020), Cypress (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    That does represent a lot less risk. Smaller vessel, closer to shore. I never really considered doing one of those. I'd be inclined not to at this point. Might be fun to get one of those drive-it-yourself canal barge thingies. That looks fun. Plod along through the countryside in wine country, bike paths alongside the canal, calm water all the way. Tied fast at night. Yeah. That sounds good. Probably costs more than I would want to spend for a week of fun, though. Might have to get one with a few bedrooms and gang up with some friends to afford it.
    Mr. Owl has been watching videos of that. Are you talking about the narrow boats in the canals in England?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Floating coffins...........

(That is what they called the floating landing craft Americans used during the [Spanish] flu WW1)
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Yes, they do move. I was lucky to have smooth seas for my memories. Had great times, but figured OK, no way it's ever getting any better than that so leave it at that before it ever has a chance to go downhill. I also heard some horror stories from friends. Part of the problem is you have to book in advance before you know what the weather is going to be. It would have to be a whole different experience in bad weather.
    Cruises are for brain dead imbeciles, pretty much like you to be honest!

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Ditto.

We've only been on one "cruise" which wasn't really a cruise at all, but a trip from Washington up through the Inner Passage to Alaska on the Alaska Marine Highway System on MV Columbia in 2013. The trip took three days. It was absolutely wonderful. You could bring your own food, or buy it on board. You could choose from a berth/cabin, or camp out on deck. You could even bring your pets but they had to stay below decks in the ferry's vehicle hold. It was just regular every day people, some going up for jobs, some returning home after visiting Outside, some just tourists like us who wanted the experience. Everyone had a story. If you wandered around and said hi, you met some really cool ppl.

Couple of pics:

Camping on deck:

The Columbia is undergoing overhaul now, and the whole AMHS is in financial trouble and cutting routes.
    Holy smoke, it sounds remarkable! Thank you for sharing

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I love visiting wine country!
    You misspelled "whine". Lol.

You never realize just how vast the vineyards of Napa Valley are until you see them in person, some literally stretch as far as the eye can see. I'm guessing you are a white wine person. I like a good Cab, or Merlot. We have some very good sweet wines here locally. This is one of my faves, plus the graphics are a hoot. https://www.maizevalley.com/shop/hanky-panky/
    Every life matters

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    You misspelled "whine". Lol.

You never realize just how vast the vineyards of Napa Valley are until you see them in person, some literally stretch as far as the eye can see. I'm guessing you are a white wine person. I like a good Cab, or Merlot. We have some very good sweet wines here locally. This is one of my faves, plus the graphics are a hoot. https://www.maizevalley.com/shop/hanky-panky/
    I’ve seen them, my girlfriends and I did a trip down the West Coast from Washington to California! It was a lovely trip, so much fun!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

countryboy (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

16. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Mr. Owl has been watching videos of that. Are you talking about the narrow boats in the canals in England?
    That could work. They've got them in Europe and in the States. You could get two couples and a boat with bikes included. Or bring your own bikes if you like. One couple drives the boat while the other goes biking along the trail by the shore. And you know since it's a canal there are no hills to pedal up. Plenty of places to pull over and swap out driving or riding. Sounds cool. I think you can get them with more cabins but then you need more couples. That could get 'interesting.' It's enough of a challenge to get 2 people to want to do the same things at an agreed time, let alone 4 - 6 - 8 people. But I guess if you're in a canal the options are limited. You can go forward or back where you came from. Or you can stay where you are for a day. And then there's always the weather factor. It would be good to be flexible.

All in good time. Maybe after we get done with this pandemic in a year or two.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Floating coffins...........

(That is what they called the floating landing craft Americans used during the [Spanish] flu WW1)
    A far cry from a cruise ship...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Glad I didn't own any cruise line stock. Who knows if that will ever come back.

20. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

I Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships for me.

I loved taking cruises. It was fabulous fun. Great food, partying, drinks, visiting interesting destinations...

Really was a special experience.
    I never cared for cruises, but mine were on Carnival. If I do it again I will choose a more luxury line.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

22. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

A far cry from a cruise ship...
    Not during a pandemic...........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

23. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Cruises are for brain dead imbeciles, pretty much like you to be honest!
    I have actually never been on one either, never really had a desire........

Closes I have come in the Ferry rides out of Vancouver, up the San Juan islands etc...