Thread: Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships

I Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships for me.

I loved taking cruises. It was fabulous fun. Great food, partying, drinks, visiting interesting destinations...

Really was a special experience.

But despite how much fun it was I decided no more.

Two big concerns:

1. Fire

2. Disease / pandemic

You are in a confined space with thousands of other people and no way out. All it took was a few news reports with distressing video showing fires on ships, and hearing stories of disease outbreak on cruise ships and that did it for me.

No more!

I've had some great cruises, really. All the cruises I took were loads of fun, very memorable.

And those memories are enough to last a lifetime.

A lifetime which will not be cut short by having a bad experience on a cruise ship because I am never setting foot on one again.

And now we have Coronavirus!

If *EVER* there was something to confirm a decision, this did it.

Never again.

I'm good with the memories...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Once I was on a cruise and was up on deck with a friend just checking out the ocean. We noticed up ahead there was a rain storm. Not real big. Very dark. You could see a clear path on either side of it. There was a huge party going on around the main pool with a band and dancing. No roof over most of that area, and it was as crowded those cruise ships usually are.

We sort of expected the ship to make a turn to bypass the storm. Why let the party get rained out?

But no. We realized there was no turn coming. We were headed right for the storm. And then we realized that the deck with the party was surrounded by walls so that nobody there could see what was coming.

We made our way to a covered upstairs balcony overlooking the party.

Next, we wondered if there would be some sort of announcement to warn people what was about to happen.

Nope!

Ship plows right into the storm. All of a sudden, no warning at all, right in the middle of a song, the whole dance floor is getting heavy downpour.

What a great show! Women shrieking, people scrambling, everybody trying to crowd under the limited roof areas, getting totally soaked. It was like the fire sprinklers got turned on at a wedding reception.

Talk about a sudden end to a rip-snorting party...

I'll never forget the sight.

Great memories.

Glad I had the fun and got away with a good time.

Woulda been horrible to be stuck on that ship DT refused to allow to land because he didn't want 'his numbers' to look bad.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I have never been that interested in cruise ships. If I had to do it, river cruises would be the way to go for me. My top choices would be Volga-Baltic waterway, eastern Europe Danube, Amazon, and I would have to research it but I think there are river trips on the Yangtze.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-30-2020), Phantasmal (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships for me.

I loved taking cruises. It was fabulous fun. Great food, partying, drinks, visiting interesting destinations...

Really was a special experience.

But despite how much fun it was I decided no more.

Two big concerns:

1. Fire

2. Disease / pandemic

You are in a confined space with thousands of other people and no way out. All it took was a few news reports with distressing video showing fires on ships, and hearing stories of disease outbreak on cruise ships and that did it for me.

No more!

I've had some great cruises, really. All the cruises I took were loads of fun, very memorable.

And those memories are enough to last a lifetime.

A lifetime which will not be cut short by having a bad experience on a cruise ship because I am never setting foot on one again.

And now we have Coronavirus!

If *EVER* there was something to confirm a decision, this did it.

Never again.

I'm good with the memories...
    Yet, you probably hop in your Prius every day, which is 10 times more dangerous.
    Every life matters

6. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-30-2020)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,766 Times in 33,631 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have never been that interested in cruise ships. If I had to do it, river cruises would be the way to go for me. My top choices would be Volga-Baltic waterway, eastern Europe Danube, Amazon, and I would have to research it but I think there are river trips on the Yangtze
    I went on one cruise, never, again, unless, like you, it’s a river cruise.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Great minds think alike!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-30-2020)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

I have never been that interested in cruise ships. If I had to do it, river cruises would be the way to go for me. My top choices would be Volga-Baltic waterway, eastern Europe Danube, Amazon, and I would have to research it but I think there are river trips on the Yangtze.
    That does represent a lot less risk. Smaller vessel, closer to shore. I never really considered doing one of those. I'd be inclined not to at this point. Might be fun to get one of those drive-it-yourself canal barge thingies. That looks fun. Plod along through the countryside in wine country, bike paths alongside the canal, calm water all the way. Tied fast at night. Yeah. That sounds good. Probably costs more than I would want to spend for a week of fun, though. Might have to get one with a few bedrooms and gang up with some friends to afford it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (05-30-2020), Phantasmal (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Had a bad time?

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Great minds think alike!
    I want to do the one in Portugal, the River of Gold, the Douro.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-30-2020)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Phantasmal,

Had a bad time?
    I did fine on the slow trek down, stopping at ports, but full speed ahead, I got extremely sea sick. I also didn’t like the very crowded deck and the pool, etc. being taken over by the drunks. The food was amazing as was the service, but just too many crazy people.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020), signalmankenneth (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I want to do the one in Portugal, the River of Gold, the Douro.
    It sounds great!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-30-2020)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It sounds great!
    I love visiting wine country!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

countryboy (05-30-2020), Cypress (05-30-2020)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

I did fine on the slow trek down, stopping at ports, but full speed ahead, I got extremely sea sick. I also didn’t like the very crowded deck and the pool, etc. being taken over by the drunks. The food was amazing as was the service, but just too many crazy people.
    Yes, they do move. I was lucky to have smooth seas for my memories. Had great times, but figured OK, no way it's ever getting any better than that so leave it at that before it ever has a chance to go downhill. I also heard some horror stories from friends. Part of the problem is you have to book in advance before you know what the weather is going to be. It would have to be a whole different experience in bad weather.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-30-2020)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

I had a wise grandmother in Ireland who gave me a sound piece of advice years ago, never go out in a boat any further than you can swim back, so a cruise was never on my radar

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    I had a wise grandmother in Ireland who gave me a sound piece of advice years ago, never go out in a boat any further than you can swim back, so a cruise was never on my radar
    There are many things in this life that can kill you, so it is not shipwrecks which concern me. Although I confess to an irrational fear of a potential zombie apocalypse!

Being stuck on the ocean on a crowded boat just doesn't sound that appealing to me.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)