Thread: Made The Decision Years Ago: No More Cruise Ships

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I’ve seen them, my girlfriends and I did a trip down the West Coast from Washington to California! It was a lovely trip, so much fun!
    It's an awesome sight to behold.
    Every life matters

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Once I was on a cruise and was up on deck with a friend just checking out the ocean. We noticed up ahead there was a rain storm. Not real big. Very dark. You could see a clear path on either side of it. There was a huge party going on around the main pool with a band and dancing. No roof over most of that area, and it was as crowded those cruise ships usually are.

We sort of expected the ship to make a turn to bypass the storm. Why let the party get rained out?

But no. We realized there was no turn coming. We were headed right for the storm. And then we realized that the deck with the party was surrounded by walls so that nobody there could see what was coming.

We made our way to a covered upstairs balcony overlooking the party.

Next, we wondered if there would be some sort of announcement to warn people what was about to happen.

Nope!

Ship plows right into the storm. All of a sudden, no warning at all, right in the middle of a song, the whole dance floor is getting heavy downpour.

What a great show! Women shrieking, people scrambling, everybody trying to crowd under the limited roof areas, getting totally soaked. It was like the fire sprinklers got turned on at a wedding reception.

Talk about a sudden end to a rip-snorting party...

I'll never forget the sight.

Great memories.

Glad I had the fun and got away with a good time.

Woulda been horrible to be stuck on that ship DT refused to allow to land because he didn't want 'his numbers' to look bad.
    I've never taken a cruise, and when reports started about outbreaks of norovirus on the ships, I decided I never will.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    There are many things in this life that can kill you, so it is not shipwrecks which concern me. Although I confess to an irrational fear of a potential zombie apocalypse!

Being stuck on the ocean on a crowded boat just doesn't sound that appealing to me.
    I like to sight see different places, not people on ships. Going to bed exhausted after a day of touring is my idea of a restful vacation.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not during a pandemic...........
    Oh, but of COURSE!

I wouldn't go anywhere near ANYTHING like that until post pandemic, and we ain't there yet. Long way to go, apparently.

DT says trust him, go ahead and vote for him, he'll come through with the COVID victory later. I have to laugh.

Yeah, right.

When donkeys FLY.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I like to sight see different places, not people on ships. Going to bed exhausted after a day of touring is my idea of a restful vacation.
    Cheers, and me too
    I am interested in culture, history, art, ecology, and the aesthetics of people, food, and scenery.

Drinking alcohol and partying on a cruise ship does not hold much appeal for me, but to each their own!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 9,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

I wanted to take a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, from Southampton England to New York?!! Maybe someday when the pandemic has been declared over? I find the ocean fascinating, but also fearful too?!!

"The only way to cross". The QM2

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-30-2020), Cypress (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-30-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

11. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello signalmankenneth,

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    I wanted to take a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, from Southampton England to New York?!! Maybe someday when the pandemic has been declared over? I find the ocean fascinating, but also fearful too?!!

"The only way to cross". The QM2
    It will probably be fine. Pick a good time of year for weather. Tell us about it. I won't be there.

One thing is the breeze. If the ship is going 20, and you have a 20 mph headwind, then you've got 40 miles an hour of wind coming across the deck. You need to hang onto things that might blow away. Hats, towels, napkins, etc. It's also enough to blow the food off your fork so it makes eating out on deck a challenge. And if your beverage gets low ya gotta hang onto that, too. Full ones are OK.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

signalmankenneth (05-30-2020)

13. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Friend of mine took her daughter and herself on a cruise to Ireland ( she was born in Liverpool ) she loved it

This was pre-COVID -- I took a cruise down the Reine river (Germany) one time -but that was a day trip..

I'd rather jet, but it was neat looking at her pics of the atlantic

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-31-2020)

15. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I've never taken a cruise, and when reports started about outbreaks of norovirus on the ships, I decided I never will.
    Being trapped in your tiny cabin while rampant diarrhea rages around the ship does not sound like a good way to spend a vacation, does it?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-31-2020), PoliTalker (05-31-2020)

17. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Holy smoke, it sounds remarkable! Thank you for sharing
    We really enjoyed it. We opted for a cabin instead of on-deck camping because we brought along camera equipment and other stuff that we didn't want to leave unguarded. Theft is sometimes a problem. The cabin though was in the interior and super hot so other than sleeping we spent all our time up on deck. One night we woke up because the engines had stopped in the middle of the night. We went up to see what was going on. A fishing vessel had gotten stuck and was capsizing, so the ferry stopped to give aid and rescue the men. Eventually the CG showed up and took control of the situation. So that was pretty cool! We saw whales and eagles and otters and tiny settlements of ppl who waved as we went by. One of my favorite things was getting a cup of tea and parking nearby ppl and eavesdropping. A couple of elderly native women would sit in the cafe and do beadwork (which they sold on the boat) and gossip about ppl they knew. They were hilarious to listen to. Graphic descriptions of someone boinking with someone else, resulting fights from the boinking, then wise nods and "Kids these days." lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-31-2020), Cypress (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-31-2020)

19. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    We really enjoyed it. We opted for a cabin instead of on-deck camping because we brought along camera equipment and other stuff that we didn't want to leave unguarded. Theft is sometimes a problem. The cabin though was in the interior and super hot so other than sleeping we spent all our time up on deck. One night we woke up because the engines had stopped in the middle of the night. We went up to see what was going on. A fishing vessel had gotten stuck and was capsizing, so the ferry stopped to give aid and rescue the men. Eventually the CG showed up and took control of the situation. So that was pretty cool! We saw whales and eagles and otters and tiny settlements of ppl who waved as we went by. One of my favorite things was getting a cup of tea and parking nearby ppl and eavesdropping. A couple of elderly native women would sit in the cafe and do beadwork (which they sold on the boat) and gossip about ppl they knew. They were hilarious to listen to. Graphic descriptions of someone boinking with someone else, resulting fights from the boinking, then wise nods and "Kids these days." lol
    Sounds like good times!
    I have seen seen many species of whales, but I never have seen orcas in the wild - and I imagine those waters are teeming with orca.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-31-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

21. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sounds like good times!
    I have seen seen many species of whales, but I never have seen orcas in the wild - and I imagine those waters are teeming with orca.
    We saw both humpbacks and orcas. Those photos you see of them leaping out of the water? Incredibly hard to shoot!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (05-30-2020), PoliTalker (05-31-2020)

23. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We saw both humpbacks and orcas. Those photos you see of them leaping out of the water? Incredibly hard to shoot!
    That is a shot even trained professionals struggle to acquire!

Orcas are among my favorite marine mammals, I rank them up there with sea otters

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-31-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-30-2020)

25. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

They're not hard to shoot, you just need the right weapon... AK47 full auto you can shoot two or three @ a time....

"There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

26. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts