Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masks as a talisman

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Do you really think you know more than the CDC?

You think that because people are called experts, they're infallible. Everyone has just been trying to react to a new virus, and make the best decisions they know how to make given the information they have at any given time.

And that's it. Because they made mistakes doesn't invalidate their knowledge & experience. Which I will still put my faith in every day of the week over anyone else's hunch, or an article they find.

And again - masks have worked wherever there has been near uniform compliance. No one is talking about wearing them forever. The war on masks will not be viewed kindly in the history books.
    This debacle will take a whole chapter in the history books.

You keep saying ‘masks work’ when the leading medical journal—arguably in the world, says they are ineffective.

The NEJM is way more end-all-be-all than the CDC could ever hope to be. That only one of them has federal government employees [hint: they may have a political dog in the fight] is all one needs to know.

On this topic, if you’re on the wrong side of them, it’s time to tap out dude.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Stretch (05-28-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post

You keep saying ‘masks work’ when the leading medical journal—arguably in the world, says they are ineffective.

The NEJM is way more end-all-be-all than the CDC could ever hope to be. That only one of them has federal government employees [hint: they may have a poliodog in the fight] is all one needs to know.

The central question will be "How could the Elite have gotten so horrible in quality without hardly anyone sounding the alarm, over freakin decades?".
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Medical workers DON'T see a mask as a TALISMAN. I can assure you. Unlike these MAGICAL thinkers.

talisman - an object, typically an inscribed ring or stone, that is thought to have magic powers and to bring good luck.

WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 6,872 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

The NEJM is way more end-all-be-all than the CDC could ever hope to be. That only one of them has federal government employees [hint: they may have a poliodog in the fight] is all one needs to know.

Okay, dude.

It's hardly just the CDC saying that masks work.

I really don't get the big deal. Like I said, why not give it a month? I mean, the thing is only spread by RESPIRATORY DROPLETS. What could a mask possibly do?

Smh. I guess you guys are sticking to the story. Don't do anything then. Don't wear masks, don't distance, don't test. Let's just hope it gets tired & goes away.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Don’t let it.

I just came from my favorite spot and my only PPE was a ball cap lol.
    I am currently eating my first Mayan Mexican since early Feb...Take out though the restaurant just opened though no alcohol for some reason.

Its not by any measure great, but it is home.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    didn't the CDC send out COVID tests that didn't work to the state health dept as well? They are a joke.
    That’s your tax dollar funded bureaucracy at work.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

dukkha (05-28-2020)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I am currently eating my first Mayan Mexican since early Feb...Take out though the restaurant just opened though no alcohol for some reason.

Its not by any measure great, but it is home.
    Ugh, I’m sorry.

We can dine in here. With the requisite spacing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Hawkeye10 (05-28-2020)

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Okay, dude.

I really don't get the big deal. Like I said, why not give it a month? I mean, the thing is only spread by RESPIRATORY DROPLETS. What could a mask possibly do?

Smh. I guess you guys are sticking to the story. Don't do anything then. Don't wear masks, don't distance, don't test. Let's just hope it gets tired & goes away.
    you forgot dont touch your mask when its on which people do all the time

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

That’s your tax dollar funded bureaucracy at work.
    i hate them as well for the gross reduction in pain management. I've had sciatica for a couple days..a couple of codeine would work wonder.
    I can't have them now thanks to CDC..I won't even go into chronic pain suffering

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay, dude.

If you want to wear one, go ahead. I just wish the waitresses would lose them.

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 6,872 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    you forgot dont touch your mask when its on which people do all the time
    Again - same logic applies to the speed limit. Why have it if so many people go faster anyway?

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ugh, I’m sorry.

We can dine in here. With the requisite spacing.
    Pretty surely it is because of the Gov Office that there are no drinks......these people are fucked in the head.

They lost several hundred million dollars in unemployment fraud so far (they dont know how many hundreds of millions yet) through sear negligence with not so much as a "Sorry, we fucked up"......, yet I cant get a beer with my taco, "because science" this lying fucker constantly says.

DARK AGES SUCK!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-28-2020)

17. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    Medical workers DON'T see a mask as a TALISMAN. I can assure you. Unlike these MAGICAL thinkers.
    [SIZE=4]
    talisman - [FONT=Roboto]an object, typically an inscribed ring or stone, that is thought to have magic powers and to bring good luck.

Just the New England Journal of Medicine lol.

Talisman was their word. Read the link. Do you type with your talisman on?

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Okay, dude.

Then you touch your mask, then you touch your face, and bingo bongo...........
    Dr. Birx has shown disagreement with the CDC. She also said that when you are outside masks are
    only needed when you can not social distance 6 feet.

Also, about .62% Americans living in nursing homes/assisted living facilities account for 42% of WuFlu deaths.
    https://freopp.org/

Let that sink in: 42% of all COVID-19 deaths are taking place in facilities that house 0.62% of the U.S. population.

70% of COVID-19 deaths in Ohio, 69% in Pennsylvania
    Nearly one-tenth of all New Jersey long-term care residents have died from COVID-19
    New York, New Jersey, Michigan forced nursing homes to accept infected patients

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#652f76e974cd
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Why Florida has performed better with vulnerable seniors

Contrast the decisions by governors like Cuomo with those of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. In Florida, all nursing home workers were required to be screened for COVID-19 symptoms before entering a facility. On March 15, before most states had locked down, DeSantis signed an executive order that banned nursing home visitations from friends and family, and also banned hospitals from discharging SARS-CoV-2-infected patients into long-term care facilities.

“Every day on these calls [with hospitals], I would hear the same comments and questions around, ‘We need to get these individuals returned back to the nursing home,’” said Mary Mayhew, who runs Florida’s Agency for Healthcare Administration. “We drew a hard line early on. I said repeatedly to the hospital, to the CEOs, to the discharge planners, to the chief medical officers, ‘I understand that for 20 years it’s been ingrained, especially through Medicare reimbursement policy, to get individuals in and out. That is not our focus today. I’m not going to send anyone back to a nursing home who has the slightest risk of being positive.’ What we said constantly is let’s not have two cases become 20 or five become 50. If you don’t manage this individual as you return them back, you will have far more being transferred back to the hospital.”

Florida also prioritized long-term care facilities for personal protective equipment, or PPE, with the understanding that it was just as important, if not more so, to protect workers at nursing homes and assisted living facilities. “If I can send PPE to the nursing homes, and they can prevent an outbreak there, that’s going to do more to lower the burden on hospitals than me just sending them another 500,000 N95 masks,” said DeSantis.

Learning from Florida’s example

While it is too late for thousands of nursing home residents who have already died, there is still time to protect the millions who remain, by learning from Florida’s example.

First, every state that has mandated that nursing homes accept actively infected COVID-19 patients should immediately rescind and reverse that mandate.

Second, as Florida has done, we must restrict visits to nursing homes by family and friends for at least the next several months, with the possible exception of those who can prove that they are not actively infected with the novel coronavirus.

Third, we must prioritize nursing homes and assisted living facilities for personal protective equipment, at an at least equal level of priority as hospitals and other first responders.

Fourth, we must test all nursing home workers and residents for active infections, using RT-PCR tests and other FDA-authorized methods of detection.

Fifth, we must strive wherever possible to ensure that nursing home staff are working at a single facility; it is likely that staff working at multiple facilities are helping to spread the infection. Infected nursing home workers and residents should be quarantined at an off-campus facility. States could contract with now-empty hotels to assist with this process.

Sixth, the seven states that thus far have refused to report COVID nursing home deaths—Hawaii, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Michigan, and Vermont—need to start reporting their death tolls in long-term care facilities. The federal government has instituted such a requirement for nursing home deaths occurring after May 5, but as Ohio teaches us, it is also important to get the data from the previous several months.

Michigan, in particular, has had a significant outbreak of COVID-19, and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer recently extended the state's economic lockdown through June 12. Transparency into fatalities at long-term care centers in Michigan is essential for assessing the wisdom of her policy.

The optimistic take: Those outside of nursing homes are at lower risk

There is one silver lining—or perhaps bronze lining—to the COVID long-term care tragedy. The fact that nearly half of all COVID-19 deaths have occurred in long-term care facilities means that the 99.4 percent of the country that doesn’t live in those places is roughly half as likely to die of the disease than we previously thought.
    Risk of death from COVID-19 is concentrated in the elderly.

Many European countries have struggled with the same nursing home problems that we have. But based on the mounting evidence that serious illness from COVID-19 is concentrated in the elderly, Switzerland and Germany have reopened their primary and secondary schools. Sweden, for the most part, never closed them to begin with. Germany has kept most of its factories in operation, and Sweden’s restaurants remain open. All of these countries have stable-to-declining rates of hospitalization and death from COVID-19.

The results in these countries should give us increased confidence that measured steps to reopen the economy can work here.

State governments bear much more of the responsibility for the depth of the COVID-19 pandemic than many Americans appreciate. But that also means that states have the opportunity to learn from their own mistakes and do the right thing: by protecting vulnerable seniors, and letting millions of Americans get back to work.

UPDATE 1: Utah and Kansas have begun reporting nursing home fatalities statewide, which brought our estimate of fatality share from 43% to 42%. The maps and text have been updated to reflect this new information.

UPDATE 2: A spokesman for Alaska Gov. Jeff Turner stated that Alaska has no COVID-19 deaths to report from nursing homes or assisted living facilities. A spokeswoman for the Wyoming Department of Health stated that Wyoming has experienced 4 such fatalities out of a total of 14 COVID-19 deaths. The maps and text have been updated to reflect this information.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#652f76e974cd
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.