Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Faith

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    A lot of people use the bible or the Koran as cover -- a fig leaf -- for their strictly political and utilitarian goals

That's not religion. That is a naked political or nationalistic agenda hiding behind a religious fig leaf
    Sure, but religion makes it easier to normalize and promote these goals. Religion is a powerful propaganda tool that conditions people to not think for themselves.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not think bible thumpers should berate atheists, and it is incomprehensible to me why some atheists get totally stressed out - even angry - on message boards about Christian spirituality.

Not everyone thinks all knowlege and truth are available to us through reason and direct observation.

Its fine if anyone wants to assume assume metaphysical questions are meaningless and the only ontological reality is accessed through direct observation. That kind of logical positivist approach is fine for those who are drawn to it

On the flip side, a lot of people feel there is a transcendent reality beyond the realm of experimentation and induction, and the metaphysical and existential questions of this life can be accessed through Christian theology, Confucian philosophy, Hindu Brahminism, native American religious traditions, Daoism, et al.

Outside of offensive proselytizing, I do not know why anyone gets stressed about any of it
    Can you say "Spanish Inquisition' ?

"One of the darker periods of Spanish history is the Spanish Inquisition, which shrouded Spain for over 350 years. This era of severe censorship, paranoia, torture, autos-da-fé, death, and the general persecution of heretics, or in other words pretty much anybody who deliberately disagreed with the principles of the Catholic church, began in 1478 and lasted until 1834. In both scope and intensity, the Spanish Inquisition far surpassed the Medieval Inquisition, from which the Catholic monarchs took the original idea."
    https://www.enforex.com/culture/span...quisition.html

Cypress. Did you know God would get a Boner watching Humans torture other Humans. A lot of people don't know this, but it's true.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Can you say "Spanish Inquisition' ?

"One of the darker periods of Spanish history is the Spanish Inquisition, which shrouded Spain for over 350 years. This era of severe censorship, paranoia, torture, autos-da-fé, death, and the general persecution of heretics, or in other words pretty much anybody who deliberately disagreed with the principles of the Catholic church, began in 1478 and lasted until 1834. In both scope and intensity, the Spanish Inquisition far surpassed the Medieval Inquisition, from which the Catholic monarchs took the original idea."
    https://www.enforex.com/culture/span...quisition.html

Cypress. Did you know God would get a Boner watching Humans torture other Humans. A lot of people don't know this, but it's true.
    Human cruelty knows no bounds, and crimes done in the name of religion deserve to be on any list of infamy.

But let's get the facts straight - the Spanish inquisition pales in comparison to the crimes, genocide, and ethic cleansing conducted under the purely secular agendas of nationalism, communism, fascism, totalitarianism, rightwing authoritarianism -- some of whom were proudly atheist. The contest isn't even remotely close.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mason? View Post
    Attachment 15437Straight

This is what Faith is all about
    If god knows what you are thinking, he is embarrassed for you.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    One of the questions I asked when I was a child was why god would need me to tell him what I needed when he is supposed to know everything, see everything, and be all powerful?

Another I asked is why would this god want us to worship them, my mother doesn't want me to worship her, why would this person that I am supposed to see as a dad want my worship?
    You're trying to equate God with human qualities. In comparison to Him, we humans are mere insects. Would you expect an insect to have the qualities of a human?

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Human cruelty knows no bounds, and crimes done in the name of religion deserve to be on any list of infamy.

But let's get the facts straight - the Spanish inquisition pales in comparison to the crimes, genocide, and ethic cleansing conducted under the purely secular agendas of nationalism, communism, fascism, totalitarianism, rightwing authoritarianism -- some of whom were proudly atheist. The contest isn't even remotely close.
    "Thirty Years' War
    The Thirty Years' War was a war fought primarily in Central Europe between 1618 and 1648. It resulted in the deaths of over 8 million people, including 20 percent of the German population, making it one of the most destructive conflicts in human history, Initially a war between various Protestant and Catholic states in the fragmented Holy Roman Empire, it gradually developed into a more general conflict involving most of the European great powers.Wikipedia"

I don't know Cypress. You might be selling these religious assholes a little short. Let's give credit where credit is due.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    One of the questions I asked when I was a child was why god would need me to tell him what I needed when he is supposed to know everything, see everything, and be all powerful?

Another I asked is why would this god want us to worship them, my mother doesn't want me to worship her, why would this person that I am supposed to see as a dad want my worship?
    I was raised Presbyterian/mildly Calvinist. We had the same question; why would an all-knowing god need to keep records of our decisions?

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    Thanks C.O.
    A little levity was needed here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (05-28-2020)

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Sure, but religion makes it easier to normalize and promote these goals. Religion is a powerful propaganda tool that conditions people to not think for themselves.
    Religious fundamentalists and secular totalitarianism ever seek to undermine human freedom.

The proudly atheist and secular communists are the 20th century's most notorious example of a system which sought to control human thought and vigorously exterminate religious spirituality

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Religious fundamentalists and secular totalitarianism ever seek to undermine human freedom.

The proudly atheist and secular communists are the 20th century's most notorious example of a system which sought to control human thought and vigorously exterminate religious spirituality
    Don't get me wrong, Atheists can do bad things too. But Atheism doesn't help people to do bad things. It's not a propaganda tool like Communism or religions.

Some of the top Nazis pretended to be Christian because they knew they could use Christianity to manipulate people. The Bolsheviks couldn't really do that with Atheism, because it's not a philosophy. They had to use Communism to manipulate people.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

People confuse Faith in God,in a one on one relationship.
    With organized religion ,which has little to do with God.
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone"
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mason? View Post
    "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone"
    Such irony. I am a Taoist.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Atheists can do bad things too. But Atheism doesn't help people to do bad things. It's not a propaganda tool like Communism or religions.

Some of the top Nazis pretended to be Christian because they knew they could use Christianity to manipulate people. The Bolsheviks couldn't really do that with Atheism, because it's not a philosophy. They had to use Communism to manipulate people.
    The militant atheists of communist and left wing totalitarian movements made non-belief a foundation of their agenda, and went to extraordinary measures to exterminate religion, to oppress people of faith, imprison them, and even murder them.

I think its always worth remembering that, in the face of caricatures that atheism is morally superior to religion

The opponents of human freedom runs the range of Christian and Muslim fundamentalists, authoritarians, the militant atheists of leftist totalitarianism. I pledge eternal hostility to all of them.. I do not see any reason only pointing out the history of crimes committed in the name of religion.

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The militant atheists of communist and left wing totalitarian movements made non-belief a foundation of their agenda, and went to extraordinary measures to exterminate religion, to oppress people of faith, imprison them, and even murder them.

I think its always worth remembering that, in the face of caricatures that atheism is morally superior to religion
    But the reason they did that is because they saw religion as a threat to Communism. Communism was the tool that they used to manipulate the masses, not Atheism. In fact, when WWII started, and the Bolsheviks needed to amp the Russians up for war, they eased up on the Eastern Orthodox Church so they can use it in pro-war propaganda.