Thread: Faith

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    There is something unique with religion in that it trains people to put feels over reals. Any ideology can be used by dictators to gain power, but some ideologies make it easier. Communism is a bad ideology, but it still relies on trying to make logical arguments. With religion, the people have already accepted that logic doesn't matter. And this is extremely common with Fascism. We're seeing it now with "alternative facts."
    Being an atheist,you assume organized religion is
    Somehow related to Faith in a personal Epiphany with YHWH
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    but wouldn't he also know that you didn't care enough about it to ask?......if you don't care enough to want it you probably didn't need it as much as you thought you did.......
    Right, because breakfast isn't necessary unless you beg for it. A parent, as this god is supposed to be, doesn't need you to beg or worship them, unless they are seriously psychotic.

first of all, why presume he doesn't care as much for Dwapslab as he does Earth?.......if he cared enough to create them, it might follow that he cares enough to sustain them......and, I think it is presumptuous to take it as a given that all things would be the same to an entity of an all knowing power......he may well know, (being all knowing) that it isn't the same if we live or if we die......that it isn't the same if we ask or don't ask while it is us, who are not all knowing, that don't know the difference.......
    Because that is not what the book says, it says that humans were "created in his image" and therefore are more important.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

to be fair, there is actually no word Yahweh in any language......in Hebrew there is only YHWH.......and the earliest forms of written Hebrew had no vowels at all.......they came later as dots and marks beneath the consonants....
    Which was why I pointed out that in English you can actually write the vowels.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    You're trying to equate God with human qualities. In comparison to Him, we humans are mere insects. Would you expect an insect to have the qualities of a human?
    I expect it because the god says that he has those qualities. You either take the god at their word and believe or you think humans are idiots trying to explain the world around them and ignore it, but this "boy this god is awesome so we should just let them be psychotic and demand worship without question" stuff is inane. This god tells these folks they are important, what they think matters, and that they have the same feelings as the god...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    Being an atheist,you assume organized religion is
    Somehow related to Faith in a personal Epiphany with YHWH
    A "personal epiphany" can't be proven. The only evidence of such a thing would be feelings. Feelings aren't evidence.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A "personal epiphany" can't be proven. The only evidence of such a thing would be feelings. Feelings aren't evidence.
    I don't have to prove it to you,I have no problem with you wondering blindly through the world.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

I don't have to prove it to you,I have no problem with you wondering blindly through the world.
    You don't have to? Or you can't?

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You don't have to? Or you can't?
    Not my business to bring you to God
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    Such irony. I am a Taoist.
    Not familiar with that
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The militant atheists of communist and left wing totalitarian movements made non-belief a foundation of their agenda, and went to extraordinary measures to exterminate religion, to oppress people of faith, imprison them, and even murder them.

I think its always worth remembering that, in the face of caricatures that atheism is morally superior to religion

The opponents of human freedom runs the range of Christian and Muslim fundamentalists, authoritarians, the militant atheists of leftist totalitarianism. I pledge eternal hostility to all of them.. I do not see any reason only pointing out the history of crimes committed in the name of religion.
    Somehow you think organized religion has something to do with God.
    How so?
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not my business to bring you to God
    In this time of being alive as equally occupting space in reproductive positions of ancestrally displaced so far, when I am held accountable to be personally honest about life and start correcting my ancestry's compounding generations of repeating the same error one generation after another, why is it your business to sustain doubt now is universal point of being timed apart as reproductively centered as simultaneously living since conception to the ever changing shapea dn formed people present?

All the statistical averaging of facts done historically only intellectually misled every society trained to work at defying life is eternally displaced as kinetically positioned as proportionately here.

Event horizons that never stop taking place 24/7. When do cycles set apart so far stay same shape formed as arrived by fertilized cell?

Simple compounding results never duplicated regardless species time of inception to extinction cycle of generations took place or still taking place from now on. So simple people rather defy real than face natural position as reproductively here.

Pride before the downfall of agreeing to disagree about life in plain sight throughout history and current events.
    Every brain born has a lifetime conflict with ancestral displacement and intellectual social position within the population present. Why, life is a compounding connection between inception, conception, death, extinction life doesn't exceed what exists now.

12. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Because that is not what the book says, it says that humans were "created in his image" and therefore are more important.
    and you are assuming the Dwapslabians aren't?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Which was why I pointed out that in English you can actually write the vowels.
    if you want to write it in English, it's Jehovah.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Right, because breakfast isn't necessary unless you beg for it.
    if you thought God did catering, no wonder you were disappointed......

15. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

and you are assuming the Dwapslabians aren't?......
    I am indeed. Since I was their creator I fully know that they are not of the same image.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle