Members banned from this thread: Truth Detector and Dutch Uncle


Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 158

Thread: Faith

  1. #46 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19,732
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 3,545 Times in 2,832 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 1,363 Times in 1,248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    A lot of people use the bible or the Koran as cover -- a fig leaf -- for their strictly political and utilitarian goals

    That's not religion. That is a naked political or nationalistic agenda hiding behind a religious fig leaf
    Sure, but religion makes it easier to normalize and promote these goals. Religion is a powerful propaganda tool that conditions people to not think for themselves.

  2. #47 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25,820
    Thanks
    10,677
    Thanked 7,164 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Groans
    370
    Groaned 1,604 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I do not think bible thumpers should berate atheists, and it is incomprehensible to me why some atheists get totally stressed out - even angry - on message boards about Christian spirituality.

    Not everyone thinks all knowlege and truth are available to us through reason and direct observation.

    Its fine if anyone wants to assume assume metaphysical questions are meaningless and the only ontological reality is accessed through direct observation. That kind of logical positivist approach is fine for those who are drawn to it

    On the flip side, a lot of people feel there is a transcendent reality beyond the realm of experimentation and induction, and the metaphysical and existential questions of this life can be accessed through Christian theology, Confucian philosophy, Hindu Brahminism, native American religious traditions, Daoism, et al.

    Outside of offensive proselytizing, I do not know why anyone gets stressed about any of it
    Can you say "Spanish Inquisition' ?

    "One of the darker periods of Spanish history is the Spanish Inquisition, which shrouded Spain for over 350 years. This era of severe censorship, paranoia, torture, autos-da-fé, death, and the general persecution of heretics, or in other words pretty much anybody who deliberately disagreed with the principles of the Catholic church, began in 1478 and lasted until 1834. In both scope and intensity, the Spanish Inquisition far surpassed the Medieval Inquisition, from which the Catholic monarchs took the original idea."
    https://www.enforex.com/culture/span...quisition.html

    Cypress. Did you know God would get a Boner watching Humans torture other Humans. A lot of people don't know this, but it's true.

  3. #48 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    28,977
    Thanks
    12,632
    Thanked 16,549 Times in 8,529 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 1,726 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Can you say "Spanish Inquisition' ?

    "One of the darker periods of Spanish history is the Spanish Inquisition, which shrouded Spain for over 350 years. This era of severe censorship, paranoia, torture, autos-da-fé, death, and the general persecution of heretics, or in other words pretty much anybody who deliberately disagreed with the principles of the Catholic church, began in 1478 and lasted until 1834. In both scope and intensity, the Spanish Inquisition far surpassed the Medieval Inquisition, from which the Catholic monarchs took the original idea."
    https://www.enforex.com/culture/span...quisition.html

    Cypress. Did you know God would get a Boner watching Humans torture other Humans. A lot of people don't know this, but it's true.
    Human cruelty knows no bounds, and crimes done in the name of religion deserve to be on any list of infamy.

    But let's get the facts straight - the Spanish inquisition pales in comparison to the crimes, genocide, and ethic cleansing conducted under the purely secular agendas of nationalism, communism, fascism, totalitarianism, rightwing authoritarianism -- some of whom were proudly atheist. The contest isn't even remotely close.

  4. #49 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5,335
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked 2,731 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Groans
    46
    Groaned 113 Times in 109 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason? View Post
    Attachment 15437Straight

    This is what Faith is all about
    If god knows what you are thinking, he is embarrassed for you.
    A non-attorney spokesperson.

  5. #50 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    30,282
    Thanks
    19,100
    Thanked 10,280 Times in 7,950 Posts
    Groans
    3,690
    Groaned 1,112 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    One of the questions I asked when I was a child was why god would need me to tell him what I needed when he is supposed to know everything, see everything, and be all powerful?

    Another I asked is why would this god want us to worship them, my mother doesn't want me to worship her, why would this person that I am supposed to see as a dad want my worship?
    You're trying to equate God with human qualities. In comparison to Him, we humans are mere insects. Would you expect an insect to have the qualities of a human?

  6. #51 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25,820
    Thanks
    10,677
    Thanked 7,164 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Groans
    370
    Groaned 1,604 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Human cruelty knows no bounds, and crimes done in the name of religion deserve to be on any list of infamy.

    But let's get the facts straight - the Spanish inquisition pales in comparison to the crimes, genocide, and ethic cleansing conducted under the purely secular agendas of nationalism, communism, fascism, totalitarianism, rightwing authoritarianism -- some of whom were proudly atheist. The contest isn't even remotely close.
    "Thirty Years' War
    The Thirty Years' War was a war fought primarily in Central Europe between 1618 and 1648. It resulted in the deaths of over 8 million people, including 20 percent of the German population, making it one of the most destructive conflicts in human history, Initially a war between various Protestant and Catholic states in the fragmented Holy Roman Empire, it gradually developed into a more general conflict involving most of the European great powers.Wikipedia"

    I don't know Cypress. You might be selling these religious assholes a little short. Let's give credit where credit is due.

  7. #52 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5,335
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked 2,731 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Groans
    46
    Groaned 113 Times in 109 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    One of the questions I asked when I was a child was why god would need me to tell him what I needed when he is supposed to know everything, see everything, and be all powerful?

    Another I asked is why would this god want us to worship them, my mother doesn't want me to worship her, why would this person that I am supposed to see as a dad want my worship?
    I was raised Presbyterian/mildly Calvinist. We had the same question; why would an all-knowing god need to keep records of our decisions?

  8. #53 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25,820
    Thanks
    10,677
    Thanked 7,164 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Groans
    370
    Groaned 1,604 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    If god knows what you are thinking, he is embarrassed for you.
    Thanks C.O.
    A little levity was needed here.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    Controlled Opposition (05-28-2020)

  10. #54 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    28,977
    Thanks
    12,632
    Thanked 16,549 Times in 8,529 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 1,726 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Sure, but religion makes it easier to normalize and promote these goals. Religion is a powerful propaganda tool that conditions people to not think for themselves.
    Religious fundamentalists and secular totalitarianism ever seek to undermine human freedom.

    The proudly atheist and secular communists are the 20th century's most notorious example of a system which sought to control human thought and vigorously exterminate religious spirituality

  11. #55 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19,732
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 3,545 Times in 2,832 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 1,363 Times in 1,248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Religious fundamentalists and secular totalitarianism ever seek to undermine human freedom.

    The proudly atheist and secular communists are the 20th century's most notorious example of a system which sought to control human thought and vigorously exterminate religious spirituality
    Don't get me wrong, Atheists can do bad things too. But Atheism doesn't help people to do bad things. It's not a propaganda tool like Communism or religions.

    Some of the top Nazis pretended to be Christian because they knew they could use Christianity to manipulate people. The Bolsheviks couldn't really do that with Atheism, because it's not a philosophy. They had to use Communism to manipulate people.

  12. #56 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    5,147
    Thanks
    563
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    58
    Groaned 371 Times in 344 Posts

    Default

    People confuse Faith in God,in a one on one relationship.
    With organized religion ,which has little to do with God.
    Nosam

  13. #57 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    5,147
    Thanks
    563
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    58
    Groaned 371 Times in 344 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    If god knows what you are thinking, he is embarrassed for you.
    "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone"
    Nosam

  14. #58 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5,335
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked 2,731 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Groans
    46
    Groaned 113 Times in 109 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason? View Post
    "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone"
    Such irony. I am a Taoist.
    A non-attorney spokesperson.

  15. #59 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    28,977
    Thanks
    12,632
    Thanked 16,549 Times in 8,529 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 1,726 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Atheists can do bad things too. But Atheism doesn't help people to do bad things. It's not a propaganda tool like Communism or religions.

    Some of the top Nazis pretended to be Christian because they knew they could use Christianity to manipulate people. The Bolsheviks couldn't really do that with Atheism, because it's not a philosophy. They had to use Communism to manipulate people.
    The militant atheists of communist and left wing totalitarian movements made non-belief a foundation of their agenda, and went to extraordinary measures to exterminate religion, to oppress people of faith, imprison them, and even murder them.

    I think its always worth remembering that, in the face of caricatures that atheism is morally superior to religion

    The opponents of human freedom runs the range of Christian and Muslim fundamentalists, authoritarians, the militant atheists of leftist totalitarianism. I pledge eternal hostility to all of them.. I do not see any reason only pointing out the history of crimes committed in the name of religion.

  16. #60 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19,732
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 3,545 Times in 2,832 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 1,363 Times in 1,248 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The militant atheists of communist and left wing totalitarian movements made non-belief a foundation of their agenda, and went to extraordinary measures to exterminate religion, to oppress people of faith, imprison them, and even murder them.

    I think its always worth remembering that, in the face of caricatures that atheism is morally superior to religion
    But the reason they did that is because they saw religion as a threat to Communism. Communism was the tool that they used to manipulate the masses, not Atheism. In fact, when WWII started, and the Bolsheviks needed to amp the Russians up for war, they eased up on the Eastern Orthodox Church so they can use it in pro-war propaganda.

Similar Threads

  1. Faith-Based RE-SET!!!!
    By Mr. Shaman in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2016, 09:38 AM
  2. Departure from faith
    By Granule in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM
  3. My Muslim faith
    By theMAJORITY in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
  4. The Faith Trap
    By Dixie - In Memoriam in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 07:25 AM
  5. Who has more faith
    By Timshel in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •