Thread: Trump crafts executive order on social media, weighs commission to probe bias

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default Trump crafts executive order on social media, weighs commission to probe bias

Fox News has confirmed that drafts of the executive order on social media would seek to curtail legal protections that shield social media companies from liability regarding what people post on their sites -- though the language is still in the works.

TRUMP WARNS SOCIAL MEDIA GIANTS THAT FEDS CAN 'REGULATE' OR 'CLOSE THEM DOWN' AMID FIGHT WITH TWITTER

According to the drafts, the executive order would apply, at least in part, to section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, which states that: “No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.”

Section 230, according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, essentially protects online platforms against a range of laws that may otherwise be used to hold them legally responsible for what others say and do. The provision of the law created broad protection and allows for free speech on platforms.

It lets companies like Facebook and Twitter moderate content on their platforms as they see fit, while protecting them from lawsuits over content shared on them. An executive order, though, likely could not amend or repeal the section on its own.

The president is not alone in his criticism of Section 230
    . Former Vice President Biden, in a January interview with The New York Times, said that Section 230 “should be revoked, immediately should be revoked” because Facebook “is propagating falsehoods they know to be false, and we should be setting standards not unlike the Europeans are doing relative to privacy.

Meanwhile, Fox News has learned that the Trump administration has begun to develop a formal government commission to investigate anti-conservative bias among big social media platforms.

Sources told Fox News that appointees on the commission will come from within the federal government only, and would likely include representatives from the White House, Justice Department and Federal Communications Commission, and could also include representatives from the private sector.

Those officials from within the government, according to sources, could investigate alleged abuses, while private sector representatives could help to identify regulatory solutions to problems of political bias.

Twitter’s new warning label was issued even though a Twitter spokesperson acknowledged to Fox News that Trump’s tweet had not broken any of the platform’s rules, and even though some other experts have raised fraud concerns surrounding mail-in voting.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...-twitter-fight

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Former Vice President Biden, in a January interview with The New York Times, said that Section 230 “should be revoked, immediately should be revoked” because Facebook “is propagating falsehoods they know to be false, and we should be setting standards not unlike the Europeans are doing relative to privacy.”
    Biden looks at it the other way -he wants aggressive fact checking by FB and is also questioning Section 203.

How about social media just do what it's there for? provide a platform and get rich off adds

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

So much for eliminating regulations.

Another promise down the drain.

Total liar.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    So much for eliminating regulations.

Another promise down the drain.

Total liar.
    lol..Section 203 IS a regulation!! Biden and Trump both question it albeit from opposite p.o.v's

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Government needs to work without deference to political bias.

Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people.

NOT of the rich, by the rich and for the rich.

It's not a left/right issue, but the rich are adept at redefining what they want into that.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Our Fuhrer Donald Trump is resorting to censor the news to keep his lies out of public view, just like any totalitarian dictator.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Government needs to work without deference to political bias.

Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people.

NOT of the rich, by the rich and for the rich.

It's not a left/right issue, but the rich are adept at redefining what they want into that.
    vapid.
    Section 203 limits liability to SM platforms- repealing that would leave them open.
    Twitter is exacerbating the problem with their bias

Even FB is criticizing Twitter for "fact checking"