Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: IF ONE OF THESE PICTURES OFFENDS YOU...

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If by "parasite" mentality you mean welfare, it's not a Left/Right thing; it's an income/job thing.
    I did not bring up the "parasite" thing...someone else did.

In any case, you have a point. The "takers" are parasites...and the "givers" are not.

New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts are the most "giver" states...and are blue states.

Montana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas are the most "taker" states...and are all red.

The parasites are not what many right-wingers want to suppose.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post

In any case, you have a point. The "takers" are parasites...and the "givers" are not.

New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts are the most "giver" states...and are blue states.

Montana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas are the most "taker" states...and are all red.

A slight disagreement: a parasite sucks off others by choice; a person who is unemployed in a poverty-stricken area isn't a parasite, they are a victim of circumstances. It doesn't matter if it's an inner city shithole or the Appalachians.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,527 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

But for some strange reason people in red states enlist in the military in greater numbers than blue. Could it be that you have it ass backward Red states pay their way in blood while blue states reap the rewards?

4. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    But for some strange reason people in red states enlist in the military in greater numbers than blue. Could it be that you have it ass backward Red states pay their way in blood while blue states reap the rewards?
    No, I do not have it wrong.

Read what I wrote...and comment on that, rather than introducing a diversion.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

5. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It's amusing when RWers assume that we lefties don't own or know how to use guns. We just have a bit of trouble trying to decide which wine goes with which firearm.
    My papa taught to use and maintain his collection of vintage surplus military firearms, even bought me my own 22 cal bolt action rifle when I was only about ten.

But I never felt a need to dress in camo and parade around in public, living out some Rambo fantasy.

I also do not understand why anyone needs a 30 round capacity ammo magazine. Short of a zombie apocalypse, there is simply no need for that in hunting, target shooting, or personal defense

If you need that many bullets to shoot at a deer it tells me you are a terrible shot, possibly a danger to other hunters -- and need to spend way more time on the target practice range before unleashing a hailstorm of lead against some unsuspecting stag.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-31-2020)

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, I do not have it wrong.

Read what I wrote...and comment on that, rather than introducing a diversion.
    Oh I read what you wrote and you are wrong. You cannot put a monetary value on what states receive to determine givers and takers. Each state contributes to this nation in different ways and only a total ass would try. The fucking Civil War ended 155 years ago give it a rest.

8. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh I read what you wrote and you are wrong. You cannot put a monetary value on what states receive to determine givers and takers. Each state contributes to this nation in different ways and only a total ass would try. The fucking Civil War ended 155 years ago give it a rest.
    There are states known as taker states...and states known as giver states.

If you want to pretend that is not the case, not much I can do about that. Lots of people live in denial in order to pretend that what is being said is wrong.

The states I mentioned as giver states ARE giver states...and the ones I mentioned as taker states ARE taker states.

I am not fighting the Civil War.

I have no idea of what you were trying to say with your, "...and only a total ass would try."

9. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There are states known as taker states...and states known as giver states.

If you want to pretend that is not the case, not much I can do about that. Lots of people live in denial in order to pretend that what is being said is wrong.

The states I mentioned as giver states ARE giver states...and the ones I mentioned as taker states ARE taker states.

I am not fighting the Civil War.

I have no idea of what you were trying to say with your, "...and only a total ass would try."
    If you want to continue to be in denial that this is one country and every state contributes to it's success then I suggest you move to a country that is more in line with your beliefs. Canada comes to mind.

I an saying outright you are being a total ass and showing a disrespect for the nation as a whole. You would have made a perfect Carpet Bagger. LOL

10. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If by "parasite" mentality you mean welfare, it's not a Left/Right thing; it's an income/job thing.
    Absolutely true. But for decades, the RW has painted all recipients of any sort of public aid as usually black, inner city, (D)-voting moochers. Even sometimes when they themselves are recipients!

Case in point: Mr. Owl's nephew grew up and still lives in rural downstate Illinois. He has had multiple felonies, including gun and drug violations. To his credit, he managed to somehow graduate from college. He has held multiple jobs. Losing them is never his own fault, of course. During one lay-off, he and his buddies were snarking it up on Facebook on how to game the unemployment system and stay on it. One day he bitched on FB about how his wife finally got a PT job and "Obama cut our food stamps just because she got a job!" His unemployment finally ran out so he got another job. Then he bitched about all the taxes coming out of his check "for those lazy welfare n-words up in Chicago." He's not alone in this, of course. I've seen dozens of similar comments from other RWNJs over the years.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My papa taught to use and maintain his collection of vintage surplus military firearms, even bought me my own 22 cal bolt action rifle when I was only about ten.

But I never felt a need to dress in camo and parade around in public, living out some Rambo fantasy.

I also do not understand why anyone needs a 30 round capacity ammo magazine. Short of a zombie apocalypse, there is simply no need for that in hunting, target shooting, or personal defense

If you need that many bullets to shoot at a deer it tells me you are a terrible shot, possibly a danger to other hunters -- and need to spend way more time on the target practice range before unleashing a hailstorm of lead against some unsuspecting stag.
    How true!

I think though that the proper weapon of choice in a zombie apocalypse is the shotgun, am I right? lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you want to continue to be in denial that this is one country and every state contributes to it's success then I suggest you move to a country that is more in line with your beliefs. Canada comes to mind.

I an saying outright you are being a total ass and showing a disrespect for the nation as a whole. You would have made a perfect Carpet Bagger. LOL
    I am not in denial, EE...and I am not trashing the South...which you seem to think I am doing.

I am responding to a comment about the left being parasites.

Now get your shit in order. If you think I am not permitted to tell the truth about that parasite crap...YOU MOVE!

13. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Most people who enlist now days do so for economic reasons. So your statement just confirmed Frank's assertion that red states tend to be "takers" because of poverty.

14. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

How true!

I think though that the proper weapon of choice in a zombie apocalypse is the shotgun, am I right? lol
    My weapon of choice for the imminent zombie apocalypse is a 12 gauge combat shotgun. The gunhumpers' AR-15 is basically going to be ineffective against the undead, short of a clean headshot

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-31-2020)

16. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My weapon of choice for the imminent zombie apocalypse is a 12 gauge combat shotgun. The gunhumpers' AR-15 is basically going to be ineffective against the undead, short of a clean headshot
    I think they'll be too busy peeing themselves to unload the clip with any accuracy. lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (05-31-2020)

18. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Most people who enlist now days do so for economic reasons. So your statement just confirmed Frank's assertion that red states tend to be "takers" because of poverty.
    Sorry but you are wrong. The Rand company did a survey of Army personnel only. Occupational (not economic) reasons were the main reason but occupational included a host of other things as the following chart shows.

According to the RAND study, the primary motivations for enlisting include:

Adventure and travel: Perhaps Matthew Modine was onto something in Full Metal Jacket when he commented that he "wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them." 42% of soldiers joined up to get the hell out of Dodge. “I've been in Kansas the majority of my life, so I figured if I joined , I'd have a greater chance to go out and visit new states and new countries," one soldier told the RAND researchers.
    Benefits: A significant number of soldiers (32%) called military benefits a major motivation for enlisting: health care, active-duty tuition assistance, and post-service support structures like the GI Bill. Military service is a "lifeline" for some Americans, the researchers note, citing one single mother who joined "just because I had my son and I needed the benefits, I guess you could say."
    Job stability and pay: Nearly a quarter of soldiers had a simple explanation for their decision to enlist: They “needed to make money," especially given the economic turmoil the country's faced in recent years. "The Army can provide me with great education benefits, great career benefits later on," one soldier told the researchers. "So... why not start that and do that, instead of just working at some dead-end job that's only paying minimum wage, maybe $10 an hour when I can go and get fantastic benefits?"After weighing the factors, another added, "I was like, well, why not, and if I stay in for 20-plus years [I can] retire at 40. So it seemed like a good deal to me, especially in the economy we're in."
    Escaping a negative environment: For many, the military isn't just an economic lifeline — it's a sociopolitical one. "I guess I just joined to get out of the situation I was in, didn't really see myself going anywhere," one soldier told the RAND researchers. "Yeah, [I feel like the Army has provided that for me]. The kids that I grew up with, out of the group that I hung out with, two of them are in jail and then the three either passed away or disappeared."
    Job training: Many of the enlisted soldiers chose the Army over other service branches "because it allows enlisteesto choose their MOS before enlisting," providing an extra incentive for those who see the military primarily as an economic vehicle, according to RAND: "Participants stated that this provided them a bit of autonomy and allowed them some idea of the role they would be expected to play once their terms of service began."
    Ironically, those soldiers who cited occupational incentives for enlisting over sacred ideals tended to stick with military service in the long haul, though soldiers who saw the Army as a career "tended to cite institutional motives with more frequency than those who did not," the researchers write. Just because the military service is a job and not a calling doesn't mean enlisted soldiers aren't planning on kicking ass at their job.
    As you can see Frank is FOS and your distaste for anything military is showing.