Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRUMP can be sued for DEFAMATION by Scarborough pay punitive $$$----BARR, HURRY!!!!!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    I'm not being obtuse. In order for a public figure to sue for defamation, they need to prove the following:

1. The statement was false.
    2. The statement was made with the knowledge that it was false.
    3. The statement must be intentionally malicious (this is where the standard is much higher)
    4. The statement damages the subject.

Those are all true for Trumps statement about Scarborough. I'd be happy to have you show me an example in which someone did that to Trump. I'm interested in hearing about this one.
    Trump didn't make a statement you dumbass; he asked a series of QUESTIONS.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not being obtuse. In order for a public figure to sue for defamation, they need to prove the following:

1. The statement was false.
    2. The statement was made with the knowledge that it was false.
    3. The statement must be intentionally malicious (this is where the standard is much higher)
    4. The statement damages the subject.

Those are all true for Trumps statement about Scarborough. I'd be happy to have you show me an example in which someone did that to Trump. I'm interested in hearing about this one.
    I don't believe you or he can demonstrate "reputational damage" (from the story) nor prove that it was the President's innuendo that caused that damage. Can you show that because of these statements and no other reason, not because of statements they have made themselves that folks stopped watching his show but only because his reputation was damaged solely from those remarks and not because they didn't like the show?

I don't believe he (or you) will reach this level... Nor will you be able to reach intentionally malicious in regard to emotional distress from Scarborough, nor reputational distress as the viewers they work to obtain for any show on MSDNC are not ones that would be affected in that fashion by Trump's negative opinion of any subject.

Now, you may have a better chance at emotional distress from the widower... but I think this argument for a Scarborough lawsuit is specious, and notably so.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Truth Detector (05-28-2020)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    I can joke about anything I want. A jury will decide if is relevant. This won't be a criminal case. Surely EVEN you can understand the difference
    Let Joe sue then. I encourage it

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I don't believe you or he can demonstrate "reputational damage" (from the story) nor prove that it was the President's innuendo that caused that damage. Can you show that because of these statements and no other reason, not because of statements they have made themselves that folks stopped watching his show but only because his reputation was damaged solely from those remarks and not because they didn't like the show?

I don't believe he (or you) will reach this level... Nor will you be able to reach intentionally malicious in regard to emotional distress from Scarborough, nor reputational distress as the viewers they work to obtain for any show on MSDNC are not ones that would be affected in that fashion by Trump's negative opinion of any subject.

Now, you may have a better chance at emotional distress from the widower... but I think this argument for a Scarborough lawsuit is specious, and notably so.
    That might be the most difficult thing to prove, but given the wide audience that Trump has and the proclivity for his supporters to believe anything he says, I'm pretty sure that damages would be assumed. That is a thing. It's called prima facie damage, and it applies when the statement is so outrageous that damages are assumed.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

That might be the most difficult thing to prove, but given the wide audience that Trump has and the proclivity for his supporters to believe anything he says, I'm pretty sure that damages would be assumed. That is a thing. It's called prima facie damage, and it applies when the statement is so outrageous that damages are assumed.
    You cannot assume, this is where that "high bar" happens. You will need to show that it was what he said and no other thing that caused folks to stop watching that show, and that will become an absurdity, it is clear that MSDNC does not care to attract anybody who would stop watching anything because of what Trump has said it is simply not their targeted audience. In fact, their audience would be more likely to watch a show that Trump disliked.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    You cannot assume, this is where that "high bar" happens. You will need to show that it was what he said and no other thing that caused folks to stop watching that show, and that will become an absurdity, it is clear that MSDNC does not care to attract anybody who would stop watching anything because of what Trump has said it is simply not their targeted audience. In fact, their audience would be more likely to watch a show that Trump disliked.
    Here is a relevant statute. It does not require that you prove actual damages. It only requires that the statement accuses someone of a 'infamous crime'. Murder is included.

https://www.mccaberabin.com/claim-fo...mation-per-se/

Defamation per se is a type of cause of action in which the content of the alleged false statement is so inherently damaging, damages are presumed to exist from the mere fact the statement was made.

Examples of per se defamation include the following:

When the statement charges that a person has committed an infamous crime;
    When the statement charges a person with having an infectious disease (or mental illness);
    When the statement tends to subject one to hatred, distrust, ridicule, contempt or disgrace; or
    The statement tends to injure one in his trade or profession.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Scarboro is a public figure. Also, there is audio of him joking about it with Imus
    trump is not allowed to make up lies about Scarborough(even if he is famous), and making a joke a related subject is not a defense either.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Trump setting himself for a possibility lawsuit, demonstrates just how disconnected he is. This is just plain stupid on Trump's part, which causes me to wonder about Trump's mental health.
    The IMPOTUS has a lifetime of experience buying his way out of self-created problems. This is just another one.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Trumpet (05-28-2020)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    trump is not allowed to make up lies about Scarborough(even if he is famous), and making a joke a related subject is not a defense either.
    The courts have given some leeway in defamation lawsuits when it comes to public figures. But the line stops when they are wrongfully accused of crimes or their reputations are damaged by false statements.

Not the best-written article, but some examples:

https://www.jdjournal.com/2017/10/01...-surprise-you/
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Scarboro is a public figure
    its possible that since so few people watch his show he doesn't fall under the public figure standard.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    The IMPOTUS has a lifetime of experience buying his way out of self-created problems. This is just another one.
    We don't know just how good his financial situation is these days.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    good to know. Trump can then sue all those who have defamed him for the last 4 years.
    Incorrect. If it's true, it isn't defamation.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Scarborough can make up lies about the President?

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Scarborough can make up lies about the President?
    If only trump could find some proof... If only.