Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the companies who own websites have a right to determine content?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Trump threatens to shut down Twitter for pointing out that his Tweets are lies, does he have that power?

Republicans, how do you feel about that?
    Some bakers found out that they did not.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

If bama had made such a threat you would be going ape shit.
    no way.
    I am an originalist when it comes to the Constitution
    if i had to qualify it further, put me down as a populist with a libertarian bent

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Bad words are whatever the company hosting the site decides. It could be the name of a competitor for that matter.

Links are often removed in forums and other sites where people post. It is done all the time. Usually when the TOS state links are not allowed.
    I've never seen any public message board that does not allow links.
    I have one at work that does that -but it's an internal self help forum.

Nor have I seen any forum that doesn't allow naming another forum;
    but we are talking social media big player like FB and Twitter

bad words are obscenites -already answered

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,571 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The sites are owned by billionaires who are trying to attract viewers. They are not thinking in constitutional terms, just financial and political. We are actually talking about censorship. It is their jobs to censor the platforms they provide? Is it unlawful to lie on their sites?

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,300 Times in 27,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    your thread title is misleading/inexact.
    Social media is more then a common website.
    It replaces the old public square -but you are correct in that it is privately held.

The question then does social media platforms have the right to censor free (political) speech.
    Thy rely on "it's a private corp and we can arbitrarily do as we please"

That has to change. fact checking by itself is often biased as well; leave it in the "marketplace of ideas" to decide instead
    or Congress has to pass regs that do not allow for corporate interference of political speech
    Twitter is private property, and they are under no obligation to host Donald Trump's blatant lies, libel, and misrepresentation.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020), Jarod (05-27-2020)

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

got it. modify seems to be the only element in play here and i read that as a redaction -not changing content.

But whatever the lawyering - i've made the point that if social media continues to interfere in the free expression of political speech, then regs are the only recourse. Basically what Trump was saying

Hopefully you aren't defending their practices, but you are/act as a Dem who are without principles when it comes to politics
    It doesn't matter what you think. "Modify" gives them the right to do anything they want to it. If they change too much they will lose their customers but they have the legal right agreed to by anyone that posts to make any and all modifications they desire. This is about the legal contract you agree to when you use a media platform. Just because you don't like the contract doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is legally enforceable and Trump would lose so fast in court it would make his head spin because he would also have to pay all court costs for Twitter's lawyers when he loses. There is no legal basis for your argument because Trump agreed to that contract.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

According to Trump the Fuhrer, he has got the right to censor when it suits his purpose.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump threatens to shut down Twitter for pointing out that his Tweets are lies, does he have that power?

Republicans, how do you feel about that?
    This would be much like somebody refusing to create a wedding cake for somebody else in a storefront open to the public solely for political purposes. Do you think they have the right to refuse service?

Social Media at the Facebook level is IMHO public accommodation, and will lose lawsuits where they try to censor folks due to that particular status, they've become so successful that they are now a necessity. Now this particular website, not so much... should I obtain that kind of success with this website (unlikely considering I don't even advertise and teens will never sign up here to avoid their folks on Facebook) I will have that same issue.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But whatever the lawyering - i've made the point that if social media continues to interfere in the free expression of political speech, then regs are the only recourse. Basically what Trump was saying

Hopefully you aren't defending their practices, but you are/act as a Dem who are without principles when it comes to politics
    If social media interferes with the content of its posters, those posters are free to leave the platform and likely will. Facebook and Twitter only work because of the number of people willing to use it. We have seen movement from one social media platform to another over and over since the internet started. From BBS's, to AOL to Myspace to Facebook to Twitter to Snapchat and on and on. Trump is free to leave Twitter any time and move to another platform. Perhaps you can get investors and start one he would want to move to.

Their practices are the same ones that most social media have used over the years. They get to control who is on it and what they can post. When posters no longer like a platform they move on to something else.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Jarod (05-27-2020)

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,604 Times in 2,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 92 Times in 88 Posts

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    This would be much like somebody refusing to create a wedding cake for somebody else in a storefront open to the public solely for political purposes. Do you think they have the right to refuse service?
    Actually, it's nothing like that. Trump isn't being prevented from posting on Twitter. Rather he is being told they won't make a cake with the Nazi flag on it.

If anything Trump is being given special treatment by being allowed to make posts that would get anyone else banned from Twitter. The stronger lawsuit would be anyone else banned for doing what Trump does since they can show special treatment not being afforded to them but given to Trump.

Social Media at the Facebook level is IMHO public accommodation, and will lose lawsuits where they try to censor folks due to that particular status, they've become so successful that they are now a necessity. Now this particular website, not so much... should I obtain that kind of success with this website (unlikely considering I don't even advertise and teens will never sign up here to avoid their folks on Facebook) I will have that same issue.
    Your belief doesn't override the legal contract agreed to by all users.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020)

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,632 Times in 21,491 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,633 Times in 5,141 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post

How is pointing out that Trumps Tweets are not factual akin to refusing to sell items to Gay people?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020)

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

would you want your comments to be attached for fact checking?
    comments need to stand alone to get their individuals idea across.

You can certainly debate it or counter it but attaching you opinion ( which by and large is what fact checking does in the political realm) diminishes the original comment as not being worthy of note. It's a chilling effect
    It is not relevant if I would want them fact checked, its only relevant if the owner of the cite wants to fact check them.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

defending free speech is originalism - it's even enumerated. nothing to do with lib/con
    The constitution only prohibits Congress from passing any law abridging the freedom of speech, if you want to discuss origionalism.

LOCK HIM UP!

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

got it. modify seems to be the only element in play here and i read that as a redaction -not changing content.

That may be what you wish he said, it is not what he said.

LOCK HIM UP!