Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: And they don’t understand why Kapernick took a knee.

1. #361 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Actually my black friends are more frustrated by white moderates who they feel are even more culpable than conservatives in that they compromise with conservatives on maintaining the status quo and are greater in numbers by far than conservatives. They consider them enablers. That’s not to let white liberals off the hook as I’ve seen white liberals guilty of some pretty egregious soft racism without even being conscious of it.
    You win the internet today.

And Biden is one of them. A moderate.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-31-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-29-2020)

3. #362 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 11,568 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Your token nod to the naughty policeman is noted. Too bad you had to ruin it with bashing the protesters. Sometimes it's a good time to STFU.
    Just had a half-century-ago flashback. My parents and some other adults in my life said the exact same shit about the civil rights and anti-war protests/riots in the 1960s.

Just like it did in the 1770s, sometimes liberty and freedom come at a price.

21st Century "conservatives" = 18th Century Tories.
    Just like in Ferguson almost six years ago, a lot of the destruction is being caused by outside agitators. Whenever there is unrest and anger, there are those more than happy to rush in and light the matches.
    Oh dear, the hyperbole is out again. Kindly show me where I've condoned any rioting and property destruction. I merely pointed out that revolutions come at a cost, and countered your assertion that the 1770s colonists did not destroy private property too.

People do that all over, Ancient Bird. People also sometimes treat other people like shit all over.

Apparently I missed your point. What was it again?
    Oh dear, the hyperbole is out again. Kindly show me where I've condoned any rioting and property destruction. I merely pointed out that revolutions come at a cost, and countered your assertion that the 1770s colonists did not destroy private property too.
    We aren't talking revolutions. We are talking violent protests that you seem to indirectly endorse. (oh you are clever enough not to come out and say you endorse riots as a form of protest but that doesn't mean you don't.) Have you once condemned the rioters? Does this sound familiar?

Your token nod to the naughty policeman is noted. Too bad you had to ruin it with bashing the protesters. Sometimes it's a good time to STFU.
    That sure sound like you are not only supporting but endorsing the rioters.

People do that all over, Ancient Bird. People also sometimes treat other people like shit all over.
    Oh Oh sparky looks like we are devolving to name calling again.

I'm confused, let me get this straight. All over means everywhere. If that is true how can you have two diametrically opposing actions happening at the same time and same place. I believe you mean certain areas of the country have good race relations while some areas have bad race relations.

Apparently I missed your point.
    Oh I believe you got the point but choose to ignore it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Life is Golden (05-29-2020)

5. #363 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,363 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Hey you're preaching to the choir sport I'm half native American. But that was then this is now.
    That's interesting. Probably a discussion for a different time but how did that background color your viewpoints growing up? At the end of the day we're all just people but the Native American experience in this country and on this land is definitely a unique one.

6. #364 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

He wasn't allowed to take a knee because he was only half black.
    He was allowed to only take a 'half' a knee (maybe like a genuflect) since he was only half black.
    He wasn't ALLOWED to do shit. After all, what's the problem?

Pick one.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

7. #365 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 14,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    That’s not true. Only a few do. For the sake of discussion though let’s just limit our discussion to modern industrialized nations that are liberal democracies in one form or the other.

The same would still apply in that they have lower crime rates, lower incarceration rates, fewer persons in prison, fewer prisons AND fewer or no executions of criminals. What are they doing right that we are not?
    A couple of things. They don't view prison as a money making venture. They don't jail people for low level drug crimes.

But...it's easy to forget that our 'melting pot' theory is falling apart. Most other nations aren't an amalgam of different nationalities. Humans hate 'others'. Been happening since before the Mayflower got here. Even indigenous people used to fight among tribes. I think we have more violence here.

Humans are defective.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-31-2020)

9. #366 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 14,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    He wasn't allowed to take a knee because he was only half black.
    He was allowed to only take a 'half' a knee (maybe like a genuflect) since he was only half black.
    He wasn't ALLOWED to do shit. After all, what's the problem?

Pick one.
    Funny...if he put his head on his fist, he would be 'Tebowing'.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-29-2020)

11. #367 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

12. #368 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,564 Times in 52,769 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm confused, let me get this straight. All over means everywhere. If that is true how can you have two diametrically opposing actions happening at the same time and same place. I believe you mean certain areas of the country have good race relations while some areas have bad race relations.
    Um no, that was your contention when you said that you were glad you didn't live here because where you are everyone gets along, supposedly. I merely pointed out that people are the same all over.

As for praising or condemning the rioters (who are not necessarily the same as the protesters), I made no statements either way. I merely explained that there are parallels between the anger, destruction, and desire for change happening in the U.S. and elsewhere, with revolutions throughout history, including the American Revolution.

If it makes you happy, I will go on record as saying that I believe that looting, burning, and hurting others' property and bodies is abhorrent. I wish it was not happening. I wish that cops would stop killing unarmed human beings, too.

Nothing like civil unrest caused by racial disparities to bring out the frothing racist, hateful, wannabe tough guys and all-star dicks, is there? I'm sure you've seen the filth being spewed here by some of the Reichwingers. Thankfully I have most of them on ignore, but enough slips through via quoting to get the gist of how pleased they are to shrug off the polite robes and let their inner KKK come out. Truly deplorable, and the reason why we have shit like this happening. (See the post right above this one for an example.)
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

13. #369 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt View Post
    I'm cool with downtown areas getting torched. It's entertaining, and it can be embarrassing for progressive politicians.
    And you wonder why we call you filth "Deplorables."
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

14. #370 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Um no, that was your contention when you said that you were glad you didn't live here because where you are everyone gets along, supposedly. I merely pointed out that people are the same all over.

As for praising or condemning the rioters (who are not necessarily the same as the protesters), I made no statements either way. I merely explained that there are parallels between the anger, destruction, and desire for change happening in the U.S. and elsewhere, with revolutions throughout history, including the American Revolution.

If it makes you happy, I will go on record as saying that I believe that looting, burning, and hurting others' property and bodies is abhorrent. I wish it was not happening. I wish that cops would stop killing unarmed human beings, too.

Nothing like civil unrest caused by racial disparities to bring out the frothing racist, hateful, wannabe tough guys and all-star dicks, is there? I'm sure you've seen the filth being spewed here by some of the Reichwingers. Thankfully I have most of them on ignore, but enough slips through via quoting to get the gist of how pleased they are to shrug off the polite robes and let their inner KKK come out. Truly deplorable, and the reason why we have shit like this happening. (See the post right above this one for an example.)
    Then we are in agreement. Demonstrating is a constitution right but rioting and looting are crimes.

The only way we will stop cops from killing unarmed people is to hold the cop and everyone above strictly accountable. Plus mental screens of police recruits and proper training of new police officers.
    Next is to educate the public not to resist a cop and follow his orders. There will be plenty of time to sue if they are wrong but no time if you are laying in the street bleeding out.

The FBI has an academy that trains new agents. It seems to me that the same could be done at the state level.
    We will never stop all shootings but with proper background checks, mental screening, and proper training we can put a huge dent in it.

15. #371 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Then we are in agreement. Demonstrating is a constitution right but rioting and looting are crimes.

The only way we will stop cops from killing unarmed people is to hold the cop and everyone above strictly accountable. Plus mental screens of police recruits and proper training of new police officers.
    Next is to educate the public not to resist a cop and follow his orders. There will be plenty of time to sue if they are wrong but no time if you are laying in the street bleeding out.

The FBI has an academy that trains new agents. It seems to me that the same could be done at the state level.
    We will never stop all shootings but with proper background checks, mental screening, and proper training we can put a huge dent in it.
    Smartest thing said about this whole fiasco.

16. #372 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Smartest thing said about this whole fiasco.
    Because of course it is always the suspect's fault and not the cop's.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (05-29-2020)

18. #373 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Try reading it again. Maybe it will get through your stupidity.

19. #374 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

20. #375 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That isn't what was said. Does it matter who is right when you are dead. Always remember the cop is armed.