Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: And they don’t understand why Kapernick took a knee.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    First sport The cops involved are not from my town or state so one they don't represent me nor the United States! Unless you live in that jurisdiction they don't represent you either.

Kapernick was showing disrespect to every law abiding American citizen. We just had memorial day to remember the ultimate sacrifice so many made so people like Kapernick can make a complete ass of them selves you included. If he had wanted to protest police brutality why wasn't he demonstrating in front of the Mayors home where the brutality happened? I'll tell you why he worships the almighty dollar and used this venue to increase his exposure. What did he accomplish? He lost his job and most likely will never play again. I guess most Americans agree with me. Now just sit back and eat your crow.
    Such a small-scale protest wouldn't have garnered much chatter.

Kaepernick wanted to bring attention to an issue that had gone on for too long - what he did got an entire nation at least talking about it. I have to shake my head a little when people argue he should have been more polite about it.

What happened to this guy in MN has been going on for decades - and long before everyone had iPhones to capture it. 20 years ago, those cops likely would still be on the street, and no one would know what really happened.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020), Phantasmal (05-27-2020), TTQ64 (05-27-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Ok....maybe your not to quick on the uptake so I’ll explain it again. Kapernick was protesting police brutality not the Federal Government. So please spare us your illogical right wing straw man argument.
    Nope. He was protesting the country. He put the blame on the whole country, not the police brutality itself.
    "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,"
    This country does not oppress black people. He possibly could have a prosperous NFL career had he not insulted this
    country with his racist views. Glad to see him out of football, for good.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. The Following User Groans At RB 60 For This Awful Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Life is Golden (05-28-2020)

6. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    That technique is actually pretty common. And cops are taught that if you can talk you can breathe. That being said, if the guy was in cuffs, that knee shouldn’t have been on his neck. I would say wait for the official cause of death, but that’s a waste of time. Break out the “I can’t breathe” T-shirts and the Molotov cocktails
    Ok I’m telling you this as a professional in a safety related field with a graduate education in human biology. Under no circumstances whatsoever should a police officer (or anyone for that matter) ever, ever kneel and place their weight on someone’s neck. It can permanently cripple them or, as in this case, kill them.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-27-2020)

8. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

The reality is there's always going to be injustice in the world and this country. So from that perspective there's always reason to protest and in essence never stand for the national anthem. So if the national anthem was intended as a source of pride and unity, maybe we should just not have it.

Regarding the cops, there are a couple of arguments. The biggest one is officers would do things like this in past and get away with it (or get caught on video and still not found guilty; see King, Rodney). Hopefully these guys will be charged and found guilty. Cops need to able to do their job but if they cross the line they need to know they will be held accountable. That to me is the best way for things to change.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-27-2020)

10. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The reality is there's always going to be injustice in the world and this country. So from that perspective there's always reason to protest and in essence never stand for the national anthem. So if the national anthem was intended as a source of pride and unity, maybe we should just not have it.

Regarding the cops, there are a couple of arguments. The biggest one is officers would do things like this in past and get away with it (or get caught on video and still not found guilty; see King, Rodney). Hopefully these guys will be charged and found guilty. Cops need to able to do their job but if they cross the line they need to know they will be held accountable. That to me is the best way for things to change.
    I will never resign to “there will always be injustice towards me” ... NEVER, and I hope others will commit to the same. Then change will happen, by any means necessary. When you become a bystander, you’re part of the problem.
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

TTQ64 (05-27-2020)

12. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dude...your own source contradicts that. It was all over the National news.
    Yeh for a day, this one will run one will run for weeks!

13. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Damn that pesky constitution keeps getting in the way. States are responsible for policing their own law enforcement agencies NOT the federal government. The only exception is if federal laws are being broken. You bring up civil rights laws but it seems funny only when people of color are involved, why is that?
    Police brutality is an issue of national concern.

The savvy protestor will use a prominent medium to protest it. Like a nationally televised sporting event. Showing up in front of the Peoria police station to protest is a stupid and less effective way to shine a light on this issue.

What Colin did as a socially conscious protester was was smart.

Your attempt to caricature me as a Fox News stereotype of a leftist social justice warrior is of no consequence. I have a public record on this board of sticking up for any group, person, or ideology which merits it.

14. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-27-2020)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020), Mott the Hoople (05-27-2020), TTQ64 (05-27-2020)

16. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,526 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Such a small-scale protest wouldn't have garnered much chatter.

Kaepernick wanted to bring attention to an issue that had gone on for too long - what he did got an entire nation at least talking about it. I have to shake my head a little when people argue he should have been more polite about it.

What happened to this guy in MN has been going on for decades - and long before everyone had iPhones to capture it. 20 years ago, those cops likely would still be on the street, and no one would know what really happened.
    So you believe that showing complete disrespect to the nation that has given you so much freedom is perfectly ok if it is for a good cause? I suppose you would be ok with me burning the US flag on the steps of the Lincoln memorial to protest poverty in America. or any of the myriad of injustices in this country?

17. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    This guy was lucky not to die, the two black cops shot him in the back!

https://newsone.com/3906412/black-co...n-viral-video/
    I was wondering if this would get ignored, surprise surprise, it has been. The problem is it goes against the given narrative so can safely be ignored.

18. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    I was wondering if this would get ignored and surprise surprise it has been. The problem is it goes against the given narrative so can safely be ignored.
    I'm always amazed when people chime in w/ these kinds of false comparisons. Obviously, that's a terrible situation.

But are you denying that the black community doesn't have their own unique gripe based on how the justice system has treated them in general over the past century or so?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-27-2020), Mott the Hoople (05-27-2020), TTQ64 (05-27-2020)

20. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    I will never resign to “there will always be injustice towards me” ... NEVER, and I hope others will commit to the same. Then change will happen, by any means necessary. When you become a bystander, you’re part of the problem.
    I'm not saying we should accept injustice. Because it won't go away doesn't mean we should accept it. Just as violence is a part of the human condition doesn't mean we have to accept all violence. I was speaking to the national anthem. To my knowledge, the national anthem is sung as unity for us as Americans. We could change that in the future by never singing the national anthem, or no one stand, or we all turn our back to the flag or we all kneel for various forms of injustice. That's always an option but would that maintain its effectiveness in the long run?

21. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Simple! There is less respect for the police today. When I was a child I was taught that cops were my friend.
    yea, when the darkies knew they roll especially in the south, the good ole days , right?

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

22. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    I'm always amazed when people chime in w/ these kinds of false comparisons. Obviously, that's a terrible situation.

But are you denying that the black community doesn't have their own unique gripe based on how the justice system has treated them in general over the past century or so?
    Tom is your garden variety ignoramus who knows nothing about living in America
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

23. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-27-2020), PoliTalker (05-27-2020), signalmankenneth (05-27-2020)

25. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 93 Times in 82 Posts

This is why!

He broke the law then resisted arrest, play stupid games win stupid prizes.