Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: And they don’t understand why Kapernick took a knee.

1. #376 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    That isn't what was said. Does it matter who is right when you are dead. Always remember the cop is armed.
    I agree completely there is very little upside in resisting a cop. There are a couple of things that make this case so egregious and one of them is, from what know so far, this guy wasn’t resisting.

2. #377 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,732 Times in 14,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    And you wonder why we call you filth "Deplorables."
    Huh...who's the new asshole? Haven't seen any posts yet.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

3. #378 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I agree completely there is very little upside in resisting a cop. There are a couple of things that make this case so egregious and one of them is, from what know so far, this guy wasn’t resisting.
    And the city is known for having a racist police force (I don't remember where I read that.) The victims civil rights were definitely violated I expect to see the FBI investigating any day now. Hell these cops arrested a CNN news team covering the riots.

4. #379 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

That isn't what was said. Does it matter who is right when you are dead. Always remember the cop is armed.
    It reminds me too much of the attitude towards rape. Instead of teaching young men how not to rape, we are teaching women how not to be victims. It takes both to prevent the crime of rape. And it takes two in the LEO-suspect dance too. Yes, people should obey LEO orders. LEOs, in turn, need to be taught to use their words first instead of their weapons.

Have you ever watched any of those game warden reality shows? They often show an officer confronting a suspected violator/poacher, many of whom are armed. The officers that they show are unfailingly polite and use body language and non-threatening words to settle the situation down so no one is injured. Of course the producers carefully select events to show, and no doubt some wardens do get in people's faces and vice versa.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (05-31-2020)

6. #380 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And the city is known for having a racist police force (I don't remember where I read that.) The victims civil rights were definitely violated I expect to see the FBI investigating any day now. Hell these cops arrested a CNN news team covering the riots.
    Insane, isn't it?

Meanwhile, in Louisville KY, protesters were shot during a peaceful protest regarding the woman who was killed in her apartment by drug cops. The police claim that it wasn't them. Agent provocateur? Racist gunhumper hoping to blow off some steam?

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/86477...breonna-taylor
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-31-2020)

8. #381 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Huh...who's the new asshole? Haven't seen any posts yet.
    I've seen enough of him to know he's found a forever home here with the likes of TDAK, Legion, Earl, etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (05-30-2020)

10. #382 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    You win the internet today.

And Biden is one of them. A moderate.
    Another point that they make...and I’ve given this a lot of thought, as it is uncomfortably true, is that when they point this out to their white liberal and moderate friends is that it shuts down the dialogue.

It’s happened to me when confronted with some ugly facts about racial attitudes, that I myself may have been guilty of. I shut down too as I was confronted with some ugly facts that I hadn’t considered. I doubly shut down when it was pointed out to me that I had shut down and how frustrating that was to them.

Now I’m used to dealing with ugly facts , hell im professionally trained to deal with them. Not this time. I was completely flumaxed and speechless. The only thing I could lamely say to my black friend who’d rhetorically just bitch slapped me was “uhhhh...I hadn’t thought of that... I need to think about that.”.

My wife (who is a woman of color) started laughing and told my friend Jesse, “Holy cow! I never seen anyone shut him up before) and both had a good laugh at my expense and said nothing to ease my suffering. In fact my misses wouldn’t let me off the hook. She kept saying “So what have you got to say Mr. Smarty Pants?”. I thought I was going to die of embarrassment cause I didn’t have a damn thing to say. Guilty as charged. I had shut down.

Lessons learned. #1. I need to do a better job of listening to my friends. #2. Maybe I’m not as good at dealing with ugly facts as I thought I was. #3. To fight racism you have to be actively involved. If all you have is good intentions you’re part of the problem and not part of the solution.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. #383 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A couple of things. They don't view prison as a money making venture. They don't jail people for low level drug crimes.

But...it's easy to forget that our 'melting pot' theory is falling apart. Most other nations aren't an amalgam of different nationalities. Humans hate 'others'. Been happening since before the Mayflower got here. Even indigenous people used to fight among tribes. I think we have more violence here.

Humans are defective.
    Defective is a harsh term. We certainly are flawed and not perfect.

12. #384 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Smartest thing said about this whole fiasco.
    The fiasco where Floyd wasn't resisting?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. #385 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

BartenderElite (05-31-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-31-2020), Mott the Hoople (05-31-2020)

15. #386 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Actually my black friends are more frustrated by white moderates who they feel are even more culpable than conservatives in that they compromise with conservatives on maintaining the status quo and are greater in numbers by far than conservatives. They consider them enablers. That’s not to let white liberals off the hook as I’ve seen white liberals guilty of some pretty egregious soft racism without even being conscious of it.
    Are we talking about the prison system?

16. #387 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are we talking about the prison system?
    Not specifically no but they are certainly one of the systemic forms of institutional racism that needs to be reformed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-31-2020)

18. #388 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,068 Times in 6,779 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    That really sums it up well.

People kept saying that Kaepernick should have found a more "polite" way to protest - less offensive. It's never really good enough.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-31-2020)

20. #389 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    That really sums it up well.

People kept saying that Kaepernick should have found a more "polite" way to protest - less offensive. It's never really good enough.
    Nope, it never is unless you are the right skin tint.

I have to say I've enjoyed the spectacle of the Divider-in-Chief holed up in our WH while protesters mill around outside, worried that they'll get through and lynch his racist ass, and praising the SS for saving his vile hide.

21. #390 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,553 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The problem came from police abuse. The reason the other cops did nothing, is because that is the normal treatment of blacks. The cops were ho-hum about it Nothing to see here. Until he died.
    The entire police system needs to be retaught. Cops are abusive and departments are the refuge of aggressive nasty and defective people. They become a brotherhood of beaters and abusers. I suppose there are people who enter the force to do some good. They get beaten down and swallowed up by the power of the police ethos. They do not dare to speak up. You are with us, or you are the enemy.
    I think when a cop's actions cause the city to pay out for what they have done, the cop should pay part of the settlement. I think civilians panels should have the final say in officer discipline. They claim they are serving the people. Then they should answer to them.