Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: And they don’t understand why Kapernick took a knee.

1. #346 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

The British East India Company was a privately owned company which was established to create profitable trade with countries in the region of Asia called the "East Indies".

web.utk.edu › romanticpolitics › bri...

Very true but it was an direct agent of the British Crown and subsidized the Crown until it was nationalized by the British government. Private ownership was a convoluted thing in the 1700s Britain.
    The Boston Tea Party was a political protest that occurred on December 16, 1773, at Griffin’s Wharf in Boston, Massachusetts. American colonists, frustrated and angry at Britain for imposing “taxation without representation,” dumped 342 chests of tea, imported by the British East India Company into the harbor. The event was the first major act of defiance to British rule over the colonists. It showed Great Britain that Americans wouldn’t take taxation and tyranny sitting down, and rallied American patriots across the 13 colonies to fight for independence.

2. #347 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Actually it was indeed a private company. Sorry.

"By 1803, at the height of its rule in India, the East India company had a private army of about 260,000—twice the size of the British Army, with Indian revenues of £13,464,561 (equivalent to £229.9 million in 2019) and expenses of £14,017,473 (equivalent to £239.3 million in 2019).[14][15] The company eventually came to rule large areas of India with its private armies, exercising military power and seizing administrative functions.[16] Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 and lasted until 1858, when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the Government of India Act 1858 led to the British Crown's assuming direct control of the Indian subcontinent in the form of the new British Raj." (wikipedia)

"THINK GOOGLE OR Apple are powerful? Then you’ve never heard of the East India Company, a profit-making enterprise so mighty, it once ruled nearly all of the Indian subcontinent. Between 1600 and 1874, it built the most powerful corporation the world had ever known, complete with its own army, its own territory, and a near-total hold on trade of a product now seen as quintessentially British: Tea." (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/c...rful-business/)

If you need any more history lessons, just ask.
    Read my reply to Phantasmal. Private ownership in 1700 Britain is a long way from what it is today. But if it makes you feel better I'll say I misspoke.

3. #348 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Read my reply to Phantasmal. Private ownership in 1700 Britain is a long way from what it is today. But if it makes you feel better I'll say I misspoke.
    That's good, because you did. The Tea Party participants did not own the tea that they dumped, yet they destroyed it anyways. If you want to pretend that the tea belonged to the British government rather than to the BEIC, that's okay -- they still destroyed something that did not belong to them, just like the rioters burned down the police station in Minneapolis that belonged to the govt.

Not much changed after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed, for black citizens in America. It wasn't until the riots of the later 1960s that white ppl woke up. Revolutions come at cost to the establishment.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-29-2020), Mott the Hoople (05-29-2020)

5. #349 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go lick Toxic's ass some more, pEarl. Still not interested in your obsession.

Today, 10:46 AM
    Earl
    Verified User

This message is hidden because Earl is on your ignore list.
    That was ugly, Mujer de Buho.

Take it back.

You read my posts, you know you do. Admit it.

6. #350 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In space and on my ignore list, no one can hear you scream.

Today, 11:02 AM
    Earl
    Verified User

This message is hidden because Earl is on your ignore list.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #351 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's good, because you did. The Tea Party participants did not own the tea that they dumped, yet they destroyed it anyways. If you want to pretend that the tea belonged to the British government rather than to the BEIC, that's okay -- they still destroyed something that did not belong to them, just like the rioters burned down the police station in Minneapolis that belonged to the govt.

Not much changed after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed, for black citizens in America. It wasn't until the riots of the later 1960s that white ppl woke up. Revolutions come at cost to the establishment.
    The Tea Party participants did not burn, loot and riot, Mujer de Buho.

They did not steal cell phones either.

Your comparison to the thugs burning and looting is ridiculous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

TOP (05-29-2020)

9. #352 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Althea referenced Kaepernick not being black. I've never heard that before. He was raised by a white family but his (biological) dad was black. Not sure how that makes him not black.

And voting is important. But I do get the position that the mistreatment by cops has been going on for decades in Republican and Democratic areas and under Republican and Democratic administrations and nothing changes. And thus voting has done little in that regard.
    Actually my black friends are more frustrated by white moderates who they feel are even more culpable than conservatives in that they compromise with conservatives on maintaining the status quo and are greater in numbers by far than conservatives. They consider them enablers. That’s not to let white liberals off the hook as I’ve seen white liberals guilty of some pretty egregious soft racism without even being conscious of it.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-29-2020)

11. #353 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,277 Times in 27,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Sorry but I disagree. Protesting injustice is one thing destroying private property and looting is and entirely different matter. And is in fact it is against federal law.

I cannot recall one act of private party destruction in the 1770s.

21st Century "liberals" = 18th Century privateers.
    As my Canadian relatives are quick to remind me, the American rebels confiscated loyalist tory property in the 1770s, and threatened and assaulted tories even if they were not actively aiding the British army

And that does not even account for the amount of Indian property and land the colonists confiscated, destroyed, stole

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-29-2020)

13. #354 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And I agree with you but that doesn't excuse your condoning the rioting going on in Minneapolis and other cities. Are you saying that race relations only get better when there is rioting and property destruction? I guess you think a race war would be good for America, hell what's a little blood spilled in the name of the greater good? Race relations = revolution, in the liberal world.

I thank God that I don't live in your area, at least in this southern area race doesn't matter with a few minor exceptions. People respect and help one another without regard to race.
    I know why! We have several military bases in north Florida so that makes us special.
    At least that was your earlier charge.

The entire above was sarcasm to make a point.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

TOP (05-29-2020)

15. #355 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    As my Canadian relatives are quick to remind me, the American rebels confiscated loyalist tory property in the 1770s, and threatened and assaulted tories even if they were not actively aiding the British army

And that does not even account for the amount of Indian property and land the colonists confiscated, destroyed, stole
    Reminds me of that old saying about "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (05-29-2020)

17. #356 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

Hey you're preaching to the choir sport I'm half native American. But that was then this is now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Cypress (05-29-2020)

19. #357 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,416 Times in 16,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Without any doubt

20. #358 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And I agree with you but that doesn't excuse your condoning the rioting going on in Minneapolis and other cities. Are you saying that race relations only get better when there is rioting and property destruction? I guess you think a race war would be good for America, hell what's a little blood spilled in the name of the greater good? Race relations = revolution, in the liberal world.
    Oh dear, the hyperbole is out again. Kindly show me where I've condoned any rioting and property destruction. I merely pointed out that revolutions come at a cost, and countered your assertion that the 1770s colonists did not destroy private property too.

I thank God that I don't live in your area, at least in this southern area race doesn't matter with a few minor exceptions. People respect and help one another without regard to race. At least that was your earlier charge.
    People do that all over, Ancient Bird. People also sometimes treat other people like shit all over.

The entire above was sarcasm to make a point.
    Apparently I missed your point. What was it again?

21. #359 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Just like in Ferguson almost six years ago, a lot of the destruction is being caused by outside agitators. Whenever there is unrest and anger, there are those more than happy to rush in and light the matches.
    How do you know those doing this are not residents?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

TOP (05-29-2020)

23. #360 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Actually my black friends are more frustrated by white moderates who they feel are even more culpable than conservatives in that they compromise with conservatives on maintaining the status quo and are greater in numbers by far than conservatives. They consider them enablers. That’s not to let white liberals off the hook as I’ve seen white liberals guilty of some pretty egregious soft racism without even being conscious of it.
    You can go back to that old Malcolm X quote where he rails on white liberals. The essence of his statement was at least with white racists you knew where you stood and they were open about it. He said white liberals claimed to be friends to black people but would stab them in the back and weren't really allies. One can debate his comment for sure but it's a thought that's been around.