Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does/how does wearing a medical mask out bother/affect you? Physically/socially/other

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I currently have a job in only a technical sense since some genius decided elective surgeries should be put on hold ‘in case the hospital fills up with covid patients’ and that was 8 weeks ago.

Now the hospital can’t afford to call me back because some genius effectively put them on the brink of bankruptcy. So, the government is paying me not to work. So I get to live the irony of a laid off healthcare worker—in a pandemic.

No complaints but it wasn’t my idea. It was some genius ‘expert’.
    No one was going to go to a hospital to do elective surgeries. So why do surgeons wear a mask?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    I'm sorry your job at McDonalds is more difficult with a mask. That wasn't really the question.
    OUCH!

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,238 Times in 6,870 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

No one was going to go to a hospital to do elective surgeries. So why do surgeons wear a mask?
    Beyond that, why do emergency room workers somehow have a lower rate of infection, though they have so much more exposure? Why do Hong Kong and other areas that have had much more mask compliance have plummeting mortality rates now?

A lot of people are going to look really silly when it comes out definitively that yeah, masks work. And I don't know how Trump garners even one vote when that happens.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-26-2020)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I currently have a job in only a technical sense since some genius decided elective surgeries should be put on hold ‘in case the hospital fills up with covid patients’ and that was 8 weeks ago.

Now the hospital can’t afford to call me back because some genius effectively put them on the brink of bankruptcy. So, the government is paying me not to work. So I get to live the irony of a laid off healthcare worker—in a pandemic.

No complaints but it wasn’t my idea. It was some genius ‘expert’.
    STFU and be happy you're alive.......because I personally wish you were exposed and took a turn for the worse.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Wearing masks is the tiniest ask in the world to try to mitigate a pandemic.

I can't believe the issue it has become, and how it is now a right/left thing. And Trump has taken to mask-shaming his opponent, which will have enormous ripple effects.

People are so sure that masks don't work. I hope they're 100% on that, because if they're not, they might want to be reminded that people are dying, and that we're trying to responsibly re-open an economy.

And all of those challenges with absolutely ZERO leadership from our executive branch.
    Ok, here’s the deal.

Masks stop droplets. No one argues that. The problem is so much of the public either doesn’t know to not touch the mask; or they forget and touch it; or it’s 85° outside and they say F* it, this thing is coming off my face.

So, what happens to all those *theoretical* COVID bugs that are transmitted to the person’s hand after they pull their mask down over their chin?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Beyond that, why do emergency room workers somehow have a lower rate of infection, though they have so much more exposure? Why do Hong Kong and other areas that have had much more mask compliance have plummeting mortality rates now?

A lot of people are going to look really silly when it comes out definitively that yeah, masks work. And I don't know how Trump garners even one vote when that happens.
    the republicans will steal the election for dump as they have all the past republican presidents.

the republicans and right wing radio labeled the virus a hoax so they could profit off the destruction it would cause.

the republicans and their supporters are way more calculated than people give them credit for.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ok, here’s the deal.

Masks stop droplets. No one argues that. The problem is so much of the public either doesn’t know to not touch the mask; or they forget and touch it; or it’s 85° outside and they say F* it, this thing is coming off my face.

So, what happens to all those *theoretical* COVID bugs that are transmitted to the person’s hand after they pull their mask down over their chin?
    STAY THE FUCK AT HOME. That solves the problem.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ok, here’s the deal.

That's like saying we shouldn't have speed limits on the roads, because people will drive faster anyway.

Where people are consistently wearing masks, infection & mortality are down.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    The things Libtardians think about......
    Libtardians =Libertarian

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Its difficult for those with breathing issues (im not one but i know others with copd and the like who need it more than most).
    It doesnt trouble me.
    What kills me are those with gloves, hazmat suits and such.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How do you know that?

Primarily, to keep from getting droplets into the surgical site. Post op wound infections increase patient morbidity, increases time in the hospital increases costs and etc. In orthopedics, it can lead to osteomyelitis, which can be very difficult to treat. And in the case of total joint arthroplasty, wound infections necessitate the removal of implants and placement of antibiotic spacers [implants are typically 10k ish a piece], so that’s when we/they don the fancy space suits. Which look neat, but they actually suck if you have to wear one 3-4 hours for a slow surgeon.

Any other questions? Maybe something about flipping burgers?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

I wear it in public,avoid everyone,treat unmasked people like lepers!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mason? View Post
    I wear it in public,avoid everyone,treat unmasked people like lepers!
    That’s the spirit! Lol

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Its difficult for those with breathing issues (im not one but i know others with copd and the like who need it more than most).
    It doesnt trouble me.
    What kills me are those with gloves, hazmat suits and such.
    If people actually have challenges, I get it.

But vanity? Trump's mask-shaming people because of how it looks?

Absolutely shameful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-26-2020)

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,396 Times in 53,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    Serious question. Not a judgement. "Bother" is used in the context of comfort, breathing, or appearance.

It's all anonymous, go for it but. It's a legitimate question in the most CURRENT context and worth asking and understanding!

(No need to trash the thread).
    I need to wear glasses to read. They tend to get fogged up from the mask, depending on how warm/humid it. I prefer the tie kind of ties because the over-the-ears kind gets painful after a while.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain