Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Escape From New York

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Not true either, you are confusing PA with NY, NY is dominated by urban centers, and for the most part they are all blue, what is red is largely in the farm areas in the North and SouthWest
    Um...I live in a very red region of NY. Just look at the House Reps. from upstate. Mostly Republican.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WitoldPilecki View Post
    Not at all, Staten Island, Long Island, Mid-Husdon, and Upstate alll mostly leaned Trump.

It's where all the Blacks, Jews, Latinos, Asians etc. are like the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester & Rockland where you see collossal Hillary votes.
    Not true either, the cities in upstate New York are blue, Hillary carried nearly every county upstate that contained a metropolitian area

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Most of Upstate New York is more friendly & peaceful than Down State.

Too many Italians & Irish hotheads from the Bronx South of Pawling.

Although, North of Pawling you got those Scottish - Anglo inbred types in Oniontown.

But, most of Upstate isn't Oniontown.
    People aren't meant to be stacked 10-20 stories high. Urban humans are stressed to the max. That's why upstate, or the outer reaches of most states are much less violent.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Many moved to Florida, land of sunshine and no state income tax. While New York ranks first in overall taxation, Florida is 47, and now has two million more residents than the Empire State.

In spite of that, Florida will spend around $93 billion this year, while New York’s budget is an incredible $177 billion. So the question becomes do New Yorkers get more services than Floridians?

No, they don’t.

Do New York kids get a better education?

No, they don’t.

Do New York drivers have better roads?

Nope.

And then there is the Covid invasion which could seal New York’s fate, at least short term. A significant number of businesses and workers may flee, having experienced hell for months. That means tax revenue will plummet. So Governor Cuomo and his fun bunch of democrat legislators will have to raise taxes even higher or risk default. New York currently runs a six billion dollar yearly deficit despite bleeding it’s workers for every cent.

After Covid, some folks will no longer use the squalid subway system so it will fall deeper into debt. Already the state has approved a new, punitive toll for driving into midtown. When does enough become enough? New York City is a tremendous cultural bastion but, for some, it has become painful to live and work there.

With so many residents packing up, city real estate prices will collapse, especially high end apartments. Restaurants and stores will shutter, and the city could approach the brink as it did in the 1970’s.

The incompetent totalitarian mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, is already demanding a federal bailout. The mayor has a very weak case after allowing his wife to spend close to a billion tax dollars on “educational” programs which amounted to little.

Governor Andrew Cuomo is trying to leverage the pandemic into a White House bid, but he has to know the desperate shape his state is in. Because he is liberal, Cuomo is rarely challenged by the corrupt media but the stats speak for themselves. Many New Yorkers are fed up, fully understanding the chaos staring them directly in the face.

In the “Escape from New York” movie, a thug named Snake Plessken is sent to the decaying city to rescue a President who’s being held hostage there.

The current President, Donald Trump, is a life long New Yorker or was. Realizing that Plessken or Batman or Green Lantern or anybody else cannot rescue Cuomo-land, Mr. Trump recently said adios and moved to Florida.

Where he will have plenty of company going forward.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...rk_143282.html
    My real estate agent called and she told us some rather good news; it appears that many young, working age people with families are looking to move out of NYC and are interested in property that has space and is not crowded and since we have a house on several acres, complete with outer building and offices in lower level of the house complete with bathroom and kitchenette, the price just went up by approximately another 50k, which is music to our ears. We are only 85 miles north of NYC, so it's commutable (train service); the schools are highly recommended and the there is plenty of space for all to go around. Granted we don't have all the services that the city has but people seem to make due without them and the cost of living is much, much less then the city so for us it is a win-win.

Nobody here cares about Trump leaving; he paid little or no taxes anyway. Cuomo has no ambition to run for President (he's made this very clear time after time on live tv); he just wants to stay as governor of NY as of now. As for Del Blasio, nobody where I live really pays any attention to him since all he deals with is NYC and has no impact on our daily lives.

The city has always attracted the rich for whatever reason and those who leave will be replaced by the new executives of companies who want and like the city life and ease of commute.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    People aren't meant to be stacked 10-20 stories high. Urban humans are stressed to the max. That's why upstate, or the outer reaches of most states are much less violent.
    Yeah, well the majority of people I met from the Bronx aren't too terribly friendly, either.

I grew up in Putnam Lake, NY it was mostly Italians & Irish recently from the Bronx, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Queens & Brooklyn.

A lot of rough kids there, but they still beat the dingy Scots I've seen down in Florida, the Wombat people.

The difference is the Italians & Irish will kick your butt, while in Florida they'll stab you & steal your car.

Very slimy people in Florida....

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Um...I live in a very red region of NY. Just look at the House Reps. from upstate. Mostly Republican.
    And I live in a blue area of upstate that was gerrymandered into a red district, which explains some of those GOP House reps, will change next year with total Democrat control of Albany

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

I live about a 90 minute ride from Mid-town Manhattan.....
    I thought you lived much further up like Rochester or something...

90 mins on a Sunday afternoon, midweek or 3AM?? lol
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not true either, the cities in upstate New York are blue, Hillary carried nearly every county upstate that contained a metropolitian area
    Yeah, because of Blacks, and Latinos.

White Christians in New York State by my guess voted 60% for Trump, and 40% for Hillarly.

It doesn't take many Blacks & Latinos & Jews to change those numbers.

NYC is only 35% White, if you count Jews it goes down significantly.

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Ahem....My glorious state is the home of the GOP,....and The JBS ! But Im STILL gettin my ass otta here come next winter!
    Why, if I may ask?? Seems lots of ppl from all over the country/world are heading to Tx...............
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    My real estate agent called and she told us some rather good news; it appears that many young, working age people with families are looking to move out of NYC and are interested in property that has space and is not crowded and since we have a house on several acres, complete with outer building and offices in lower level of the house complete with bathroom and kitchenette, the price just went up by approximately another 50k, which is music to our ears. We are only 85 miles north of NYC, so it's commutable (train service); the schools are highly recommended and the there is plenty of space for all to go around. Granted we don't have all the services that the city has but people seem to make due without them and the cost of living is much, much less then the city so for us it is a win-win.

Nobody here cares about Trump leaving; he paid little or no taxes anyway. Cuomo has no ambition to run for President (he's made this very clear time after time on live tv); he just wants to stay as governor of NY as of now. As for Del Blasio, nobody where I live really pays any attention to him since all he deals with is NYC and has no impact on our daily lives.

The city has always attracted the rich for whatever reason and those who leave will be replaced by the new executives of companies who want and like the city life and ease of commute.
    Incomes in NYC are much higher. Many even commute from the suburbs. My dad did for most of his life. You have to be rich to live in NYC!

Are you due north?

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And I live in a blue area of upstate that was gerrymandered into a red district, which explains some of those GOP House reps, will change next year with total Democrat control of Albany
    Well...you were discussing metro areas of upstate. It's a city vs. rural thing. They grow em pretty stupid around me. There are 'repeal the SAFE Act' signs on many lawns. Upstate tends to lean red, mainly due to guns. Obama had it right with his 'guns/religion' comment.

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I thought you lived much further up like Rochester or something...

90 mins on a Sunday afternoon, midweek or 3AM?? lol
    Rochester is about 4 hours from NYC. He's damn near Ct., he's so far East.

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The worst White trash I've seen upstate, are still in mostly minor urban areas, like Hudson, New York for example, had a lot of dingy looking & acting Whites, probably most of them are Dutch, though.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah, well the majority of people I met from the Bronx aren't too terribly friendly, either.

I grew up in Putnam Lake, NY it was mostly Italians & Irish recently from the Bronx, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Queens & Brooklyn.

A lot of rough kids there, but they still beat the dingy Scots I've seen down in Florida, the Wombat people.

The difference is the Italians & Irish will kick your butt, while in Florida they'll stab you & steal your car.

Very slimy people in Florida....
    So you believe this is a nationality thing, vs a living conditions thing?

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,584 Times in 9,990 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 873 Times in 830 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Why, if I may ask?? Seems lots of ppl from all over the country/world are heading to Tx...............
    Ummm....maybe because Im not from Texas...LOL. Been there many times but not where Im from. I said I was from the home of the GOP,...thats not Texas.