Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Escape From New York

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    The fact is Trump ran a very successful presidency both on the economy and foreign policy pre-COVID.
    He obviously listened to the experts -shutting down the economy ( a key to his re-election)
    in favor of advice from "the experts"
    Given their [failed] projections he had no choice but to follow the ‘expert’ advice.

Trump disappointed me though. I’ve never seen him buckle before but he did on the April 12th opening up date. He should have stuck to it.

But it went against the advice of ‘the experts’.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Great idea if someone does not want to deal w/ some of the issues I mentioned.. My kids had both growing up w/ both-yard-lake-pool tennis courts & they/we hardly used them once they got older.. I grew to hate my lawn, as it only served on purpose-to be mowed..
    i'm very lucky my HOA does my lawn cutting as well

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Given their [failed] projections he had no choice but to follow the ‘expert’ advice.

Trump disappointed me though. I’ve never seen him buckle before but he did on the April 12th opening up date. He should have stuck to it.

But it went against the advice of ‘the experts’.
    da experts!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-26-2020)

5. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

sorry. i do not do ethnics characterizations.

My little development near Seaworld is incredible diverse.
    We got as many Russian as Snowbirds as ex-NY'ers fleeing from high taxes. (ex.)

Northerners like myself ( if Maryland is a blue state?) long ago fled the insane costs of living up there. true.

what is NEW is the PACE and the CONCENTRATION of N.Yorkers fleeing DeBlasio and his progressive hell

Again -read the OP for those specific details
    New York City's property taxes are among the lowest in the North-East.

A lot of the people leaving, are the people we don't want in the metro area, anyways.

Blacks, Puerto Ricans, and White trash....

6. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WitoldPilecki View Post
    New York City's property taxes are among the lowest in the North-East.

A lot of the people leaving, are the people we don't want in the metro area, anyways.

Blacks, Puerto Ricans, and White trash....
    racist

7. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

i'm very lucky my HOA does my lawn cutting as well
    That's great, safe you hours of your life every week + not having to buy all the crap & sweat like a pig every week as a slave to bermuda grass...lol

My daughter made an offer on a nice place in Sacto a few days ago & they maintain the front yard-pool-tennis courts etc.. Will be her first place..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,732 Times in 4,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

In Florida, you pay higher insurance costs than other parts of the country.
    Toll roads are everywhere
    And New York salary goes a hell of a lot further in Florida, which has a lower pay scale
    https://www.aclufl.org/en/issues/racial-justice

No one, no where, is perfect.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

9. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Interesting tidbit about fish in Florida, even though the State is surrounded on three sides by water, the fish menu at most restaurants is full of cold water fish.
    Other than shrimp, grouper, and konk chowder, what is left all taste the same and is generally bland
    LOL!

conch chowder...

conch fritters...

stone crab claws...

........and mackerel, red snapper, hog snapper, dolphin (mahi mahi), pompano, etc.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (05-28-2020)

11. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    not my experience
    let the tourists pay to keep them up -no state income tax here!
    And New York salary goes a hell of a lot further in Florida, which has a lower pay scale
    it costs a small fortune to live in NY
    i'll take the tropics or more correctly semi-tropics here..the times I run of the house in a T-short and shorts year round -but so is everyone else!

12. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    Yes, because so many people want to live there. There are only so many people who can get a view of Central Park, and so the bidding starts very high.

13. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
    not my experience

let the tourists pay to keep them up -no state income tax here!

i'll take the tropics or more correctly semi-tropics here..the times I run of the house in a T-short and shorts year round -but so is everyone else!
    Just three points of contention with your answers:

1) the sheer absurdity of thinking that only tourist are affected by the numerous toll roads
    2) Yes, living in NYC/Long Island is expensive....that's a given. But that doesn't change the FACT that the pay scale in Florida is much lower, as is COLA. This is the main reason why New Yorkers retire to Florida....they get more bang for their buck. Locals born and raised bitch and moan about the COLA....just like everyone else in every other state at one time or another.
    3) Your personal experience regarding insurance costs is not the common reality of the majority according to state records and federal/insurance company comparisons. Just saying.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

14. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

1) the sheer absurdity of thinking that only tourist are affected by the numerous toll roads
    2) Yes, living in NYC/Long Island is expensive....that's a given. But that doesn't change the FACT that the pay scale in Florida is much lower, as is COLA. This is the main reason why New Yorkers retire to Florida....they get more bang for their buck. Locals born and raised bitch and moan about the COLA....just like everyone else in every other state at one time or another.
    3) Your personal experience regarding insurance costs is not the common reality of the majority according to state records and federal/insurance company comparisons. Just saying.
    of course toll roads are paid by all -BUT since we don't pay state taxes -
    a LARGE PERCENTAGE are paid by non-Floridians ( all those turistas)

the NY's are welcome -even their boorish obnoxious over-bearing Yankee behavior.
    Just leave those damn blue voting habits behind -don't come here fleeing high taxes and ask for more.

I have no idea about comparison insurance rates -ill take your word
    Kissinger: “demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.”
    ________

Cold War 2.0 Russia hysteria is turning people’s brains into guacamole.
    We’ve got to find a way to snap out of the propaganda trance
    ________

Buddha: "trust the person who seeks truth and mistrust the person who claims he has found it "
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7. All Good Children Go to Heaven

15. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

of course toll roads are paid by all -BUT since we don't pay state taxes -
    a LARGE PERCENTAGE are paid by non-Floridians ( all those turistas)

the NY's are welcome -even their boorish obnoxious over-bearing Yankee behavior.
    Just leave those damn blue voting habits behind -don't come here fleeing high taxes and ask for more.

I have no idea about comparison insurance rates -ill take your word
    Stop being stubborn...you're STILL making excuses and acting as if locals DON'T TRAVEL ROADS THAT HAVE TOLLS. That's just insipid stubbonness and downright absurd on your part.

Don't take my word about the insurance....DO SOME HONEST HOMEWORK ON YOUR OWN.

Yeah, you don't like NYer …. so what? What's very telling is that you're still fighting the Civil War with that "yankee" BS. Get over it sweetheart, YOU LOST. The slaves were freed. Deal with it.

George Orwell

16. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Stop being stubborn...you're STILL making excuses and acting as if locals DON'T TRAVEL ROADS THAT HAVE TOLLS. That's just insipid stubbonness and downright absurd on your part.
    what "excuses"
    i patiently explained I pay less for roads because in effect the turistas also pay a LOT thru tolls.
    Even betterr those lower costs are user fees -and since I work from home my 'road costs' are maybe $20/year..but even workers who use them every day are better off since they pay no state taxes to begin with

*meh* the chances of me needing to know about NY insurance rates are less then zero
    Yeah, you don't like NYer …. so what? What's very telling is that you're still fighting the Civil War with that "yankee" BS. Get over it sweetheart, YOU LOST. The slaves were freed. Deal with it.
    lol@fighting the civil war... in your head maybe..
    I'm describing basic Yankee behavior of contemporary NY's

17. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Stop being stubborn...you're STILL making excuses and acting as if locals DON'T TRAVEL ROADS THAT HAVE TOLLS. That's just insipid stubbornness and downright absurd on your part.
    what "excuses"
    i patiently explained I pay less for roads because in effect the turistas also pay a LOT thru tolls.
    Even betterr those lower costs are user fees -and since I work from home my 'road costs' are maybe $20/year..but even workers who use them every day are better off since they pay no state taxes to begin with

*meh* the chances of me needing to know about NY insurance rates are less then zero

lol@fighting the civil war... in your head maybe..
    I'm describing basic Yankee behavior of contemporary NY's
    1. Okay, let's take it from the top: YOU may not have to pay tolls in your daily life, but there are a whole lotta Floridians who do interstate travel....they pay the same tolls as the tourist. The question is not who puts in the most bucks, the question is are residents subjected to numerous toll roads as opposed to NY, which isn't. The answer is YES. Got that? Good. Move on.

2. Fine, whatever. Just as long as you accept the FACT that Florida insurance rates are higher than NY.

3. No sweetheart....IN YOUR WORDS WHEN YOU USE THE ANTIQUATED TERM "YANKEE". Anyone with a GED knows that label from the Civil War days. Your using it shows gives reverence to all the connotations that go with it's usage. I got one parent from North Carolina and another from New York.....occasionally a silly argument based on who has more regional social ills, but NEVER was the term "yankee" used. So go blow your smoke to someone who buys it.

George Orwell