Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As Florida hits the beach on Memorial Day weekend, state’s cases push past 50,000

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,230 Times in 6,867 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Wasn’t necessary to shut down elective procedures in most of the country: I was right.

No reason to think all of the country was going to ‘go NYC’ in their own turn: right again.

Lockdown the economy would be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. Now, finally, some are starting to see how bad an idea it was and saying ‘well, we can’t stayed locked down forever: right again.

Models were junk and worse than useless: home run over left center.

Since COVID has an unusually high percentage of asymptomatic carriers, it likely has a lower mortality rate than what was being printed in the media in late March/early April: very likely right but waiting further confirmation from seroprevalence studies.

Who’s mortality rate of 3.4% was almost certainly too high: right again.

I’m tired of being right. I think I’ll stop now.
    Interesting rewrite of history. You were all over the place on the shutdown when asked about it after the "61" thread - a thread which, btw, was so woefully wrong that it would make anyone else resist any vindication about being "right," about pretty much anything.

But you wouldn't take a stand on it. You were kind of for it, for awhile, but then later took a firm stand against. And who ever said we should be shut down "forever"? You're claiming you were right because you said we shouldn't be shut down forever?

And that's how it's been. You're Mr. Hindsight - and of course, anyone is "right" with hindsight.

And what do you mean w/ the models? You were saying they were way off from the start? And how well do you understand what models should be, anyway? Do you think they're precise measurements?

Let me tell you what really happened here: you haven't been right, at all.
    Last edited by BartenderElite; 05-25-2020 at 11:37 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-25-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,617 Times in 11,612 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    that is is not going away magically in Florida
    Not anytime soon but we are prepared and expect to see some spikes as we reopen. Does that frost your balls?

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Wasn’t necessary to shut down elective procedures in most of the country: I was right.

No reason to think all of the country was going to ‘go NYC’ in their own turn: right again.

Lockdown the economy would be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. Now, finally, some are starting to see how bad an idea it was and saying ‘well, we can’t stayed locked down forever: right again.

Models were junk and worse than useless: home run over left center.

Since COVID has an unusually high percentage of asymptomatic carriers, it likely has a lower mortality rate than what was being printed in the media in late March/early April: very likely right but waiting further confirmation from seroprevalence studies.

Who’s mortality rate of 3.4% was almost certainly too high: right again.

I’m tired of being right. I think I’ll stop now.
    The irony of your position is laughable.

It is essentially stating that: because the measures taken were effective, that they didn't need to be taken.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

BartenderElite (05-25-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-25-2020)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Alabama hospitals are beginning to fail, so we can expect Florida hospitals to start failing in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I am wrong, but so far my warnings have been correct.
    That would be tragic. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,827 Times in 14,173 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Not anytime soon but we are prepared and expect to see some spikes as we reopen. Does that frost your balls?
    I sure wouldn't want to be in the panhandle with the virus surge coming, in addition to a big hurricane season coming up, hope everyone enjoyed packing together at the beaches there
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello BartenderElite,

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Interesting rewrite of history. You were all over the place on the shutdown when asked about it after the "61" thread - a thread which, btw, was so woefully wrong that it would make anyone else resist any vindication about being "right," about pretty much anything.

But you wouldn't take a stand on it. You were kind of for it, for awhile, but then later took a firm stand against. And who ever said we should be shut down "forever"? You're claiming you were right because you said we shouldn't be shut down forever?

And that's how it's been. You're Mr. Hindsight - and of course, anyone is "right" with hindsight.

And what do you mean w/ the models? You were saying they were way off from the start? And how well do you understand what models should be, anyway? Do you think they're precise measurements?

Things get remembered differently if you have a sharpie memory.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

DeSantis advocates a more ‘focused approach‘, right?
    yes. let the localities set their own timetables.
    The big death count didn't happen because he locked down nursing homes.
    Everybody needs to wear a mask inside, social distancing, hand washing..all the effective measures is the focus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-25-2020)

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,827 Times in 14,173 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

No social distancing here: Crowds pack Daytona Beach

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...daytona-beach/
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,617 Times in 11,612 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    I sure wouldn't want to be in the panhandle with the virus surge coming, in addition to a big hurricane season coming up, hope everyone enjoyed packing together at the beaches there
    Thanks for the laugh. We need more comics like you.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

The irony of your position is laughable.

It is essentially stating that: because the measures taken were effective, that they didn't need to be taken.
    How do we know the measures were effective?

Because they ‘beat’ the model projections lol?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

People pretty much got "back to normal" this weekend - there were a lot of gatherings without any distancing, masks, etc.

Let's see how the #'s look in a few weeks. But careful - don't make any predictions or take a stand on anything right now. Wait until it's over, and then you can claim you were "right" either way w/ the hindsignt...

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post

I never signed off on the models. I don’t recall wavering on the lockdown but I’ll take your word for it. At minimum, I’ve been firmly against it long enough for it to count. And who is wavering on it, now huh?

I never accepted the high COVID mortality rate and your fave ‘61 thread *was much related to that very topic*.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I never signed off on the models. I don’t recall wavering on the lockdown but I’ll take your word for it. At minimum, I’ve been firmly against it long enough for it to count. And who is wavering on it, now huh?

See, I think that's where you're confused. NO ONE ever said we should shut down "forever." The idea was ALWAYS to give our healthcare system time to catch up, and ALSO to buy time to both A) figure out what this virus is, and B) make headway in the development of both treatments and vaccines.

In case you haven't noticed, every state is now re-opening, yet you guys are still complaining and trying to claim vindication. No one is "wavering" - everyone is reacting to the circumstances of a new virus. Most agree that the shut down was effective, and most now agree that it's appropriate to re-open. It's not like people are "coming around" to your position, which has been all over the place, anyway.

Like I said - wait a few months to see how it all plays out, then step in and claim you were "right" no matter what happens.

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,809 Times in 17,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Weirdly/ironically, it is.

Blue states own all the big numbers with the exception of CA—given its size. COVID is the first partisan virus.
    Cities are the hotbeds of Corona for obcvious reasons. It is spreading to the south and rural areas. New Mexico has hot spots.

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

I know it's silly but I actually believe the news. No kidding. I don't think it's fake.