Members banned from this thread: LV426 and Doc Dutch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something to think about as you ponder the Faucism we are living under

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,852 Times in 1,715 Posts

Just to illustrate: if you want to avoid a car accident & reduce the # of accidents in general, there are a variety of things you have to do. You have to stay within the speed limit, observe the rules of the road, drive in the correct lane, stop when there is a stop sign or red light, not drink & drive, etc.

It's all very complicated. But it works for the most part if everyone does these things.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-24-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    If masks work then why do we need to stay 6 feet apart? If staying six feet apart works, why do we need to wear masks? If wearing a mask AND staying six feet apart works then why do we need the economy locked down?
    This has been explained to you more times than I can count. I am going to give it another try, but I think you are trying to not get it.

Lets say each cuts rates of infection in half. They work, just not completely. Lets say Covid-19 has an R0 of 2.4, meaning if we do nothing each person will infect 2.4 more people. If we only do one thing, then we cut the R to 1.2. That means that every generation of the virus, we can expect 20% more people to have it. If we do all three, then the R will be 0.3, which means that every generation 70% less people will have it.

Making this all more complex, we have imperfect data, so cannot know what the R0 or R is for various decisions. We know that masks, social distancing, and lock downs work, and we know they do not work perfectly, but we do not know exactly how well they work.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Excellent. The Democrats are using the shutdown as a tool to delay the recovery til Nov. Can you imagine them never allowing a crisis to go by...? Meanwhile, Americans have lost jobs, incomes and lives due to these demonic Democrats.
    I can see how you would believe that, after all the President and ALL the Governors are Democrats. If they were not all Democrats, you would look like a complete paranoid fool now.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    It's not one or the other. Wear masks, distance, wash your hands regularly, test & trace. I know it's all rather complex for some, but these are the ways to fight the virus. Nothing is foolproof.
    I think we are really seeing that everything needs to be black and white for the Alt Right. While vaccines have successfully eradicated many viral dangers, the Alt Right sees no use for them because they will not 100% protect the individual. The rest of us know that 90% protection means that the virus goes extinct, but they really do not care.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    This has been explained to you more times than I can count. I am going to give it another try, but I think you are trying to not get it.

Lets say each cuts rates of infection in half. They work, just not completely. Lets say Covid-19 has an R0 of 2.4, meaning if we do nothing each person will infect 2.4 more people. If we only do one thing, then we cut the R to 1.2. That means that every generation of the virus, we can expect 20% more people to have it. If we do all three, then the R will be 0.3, which means that every generation 70% less people will have it.

Making this all more complex, we have imperfect data, so cannot know what the R0 or R is for various decisions. We know that masks, social distancing, and lock downs work, and we know they do not work perfectly, but we do not know exactly how well they work.
    I love watching you make shit up and acting like you know what the fuck you are talking about

You never even know what R naught was before this, but you heard Rachel Maddow say it and now you think you are an infectious disease expert

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    You never even know what R naught was before this
    We have actually discussed this before. I wrote a peer reviewed paper on computer viruses, and so was dealing with R0 and R twenty years ago. I am not claiming to be an epidemiologist, but I am at least a little familiar with the mathematics behind it all.

Someone recently said this is "not rocket science". Actually, rocket science is quite simple, using newtonian physics. Epidemiology is much more complex, because human behavior is difficult to model.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Teflon Don does not understand science, thus can't figure out masks, social distancing, and basic hygiene.
    Russian trolls and their supporters go on Ignore, automatically: no second chance.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We have actually discussed this before. I wrote a peer reviewed paper on computer viruses, and so was dealing with R0 and R twenty years ago. I am not claiming to be an epidemiologist, but I am at least a little familiar with the mathematics behind it all.

Someone recently said this is "not rocket science". Actually, rocket science is quite simple, using newtonian physics. Epidemiology is much more complex, because human behavior is difficult to model.
    I don't believe you. You are a iiar.

BTW peer reviewed doesn't mean shit anymore. It used to, but it just sounds good to those who don't know what the fuck they are talking about. Lots of shit gets published that is peer reviewed. If your peer is as stupid as you are it doesn't mean shit. And lord are you stupid

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fauci here speaking out against masks.