Thread: If you are thinking about/trying to BUY AMERICAN-some food for thought

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf If you are thinking about/trying to BUY AMERICAN-some food for thought

LINK Reuters

Some great ideas for purchase or investment...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,567 Times in 17,094 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

There was a program a few years ago that went into people's homes and replaced everything made in foreign countries with American made products. They were the same price levels and seemed to be of better quality. They did a few episodes and then said it would start next season. It did not. Gone into the ether.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-23-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    There was a program a few years ago that went into people's homes and replaced everything made in foreign countries with American made products. They were the same price levels and seemed to be of better quality. They did a few episodes and then said it would start next season. It did not. Gone into the ether.
    Interesting, would love to know the name & watch a few episodes of that........

There is lots out there but yea need to dig a little..

There use to be quality products made here...... I passed down a 29 year old lawn mover to a friend (taking my lawn out) & it still starts w/ 1-2 pulls. Never babied it in the least, only thing I fixed was sharpening the blade.. MADE IN THE USA....... & still mowing......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Interesting, would love to know the name & watch a few episodes of that........

There is lots out there but yea need to dig a little..

There use to be quality products made here...... I passed down a 29 year old lawn mover to a friend (taking my lawn out) & it still starts w/ 1-2 pulls. Never babied it in the least, only thing I fixed was sharpening the blade.. MADE IN THE USA....... & still mowing......
    What the program showed, is there are real choices to buy American. I expected the price to be higher for stuff made here and in most cases, it was not.
    There was another show about the same time with a contractor traveling the country looking at the infrastructure. He poked screwdrivers through the crumbling poor quality cement in overpass bridges. He checked your dams and streets. He showed that they were failing badly. That one, I think, ran 2 years.
    Last edited by Nordberg; 05-26-2020 at 12:48 PM.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

As a musician and Guitar collector, I have many mixed feelings about American Made Vs. Foreign manufactured guitars and amplifiers.

I have come to only one conclusion in that regard- and that is- American made guitars and amps do maintain a higher resale value when it comes time to sell them. Mexican made products tend to hold their resale value as well. And that is not always the case, as some instruments made in the UK and Germany still have good resale value as well. So, basically I am talking about American vs. Pac Rim imports.

On a practical sense, Pac Rim products are about 1/10th the cost of their American or UK manufactured copies of the exact same thing.

That is just absurd to begin with. American pride is sometimes very foolish and the reason why we price ourseves right out of the markets we try to play in!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 05-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What the program showed, st there are real choices to buy American. I expected the price to be higher for stuff made here and in most cases, it was not.
    There was another show about the same time with a contractor traveling the country looking at the infrastructure. He poked screwdrivers through the crumbling poor quality cement in overpass bridges. He checked your dams and streets. He showed that they were failing badly. That one, I think, ran 2 years.
    I have a good friend/hiking buddy that works for caltrans & she does bridge inspections over the entire state.. She has some unbelieveable shots from high atop the bay bridge, golden gate etc.............. As well as many rusting structures not just need of repair, but replacement simply because the upkeep wasn't done..

A $100,000 repair can go to a million easily in a year..........

What really pisses me & her off is our parents & grandparents paid lots of taxes to build all these roads & bridges & our generations are letting them crumble so zillionares that set up shops in china don't have to pay taxes here any more......... They've abandoned us & the infrastructure they used to build their business..

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Since many Americans jobs have gone over there, that is all many can afford, the cheap knock-offs...

Ppl that once had great paying jobs~able to afford those quality instruments are now working @ walmart scrapping to pay rent & wallstreet & their commie partners will tell us they are doing us a favor by selling that cheap shit cheap........

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have a good friend/hiking buddy that works for caltrans & she does bridge inspections over the entire state.. She has some unbelieveable shots from high atop the bay bridge, golden gate etc.............. As well as many rusting structures not just need of repair, but replacement simply because the upkeep wasn't done..

A $100,000 repair can go to a million easily in a year..........

What really pisses me & her off is our parents & grandparents paid lots of taxes to build all these roads & bridges & our generations are letting them crumble so zillionares that set up shops in china don't have to pay taxes here any more......... They've abandoned us & the infrastructure they used to build their business..
    This is an opportune time to fix the infrastructure. Americans need jobs and the infrastructure is falling apart. Money is cheap. McConnell will not allow an infrastructure bill on the floor.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is an opportune time to fix the infrastructure. Americans need jobs and the infrastructure is falling apart. Money is cheap. McConnell will not allow an infrastructure bill on the floor.
    It is being held hostage~they can't even agree to fix the fuckin roads.... They all should be deported & start fresh in 2020...........

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

I am old enough to remember when Wal Mart was just taking off. There were "Buy American" banners hanging in every store.

What happened? Simple. Sam Walton died and a "profit at all" cost CEO took over. The rest is Chinese capitalistic history.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep..........

Oddly enough~ or not, the company from Arkansas just happen to have the ex-governor of Arkansas in the white house........ The same governor whose wife was on their board..... Just coincidence I guess......

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

About the only thing "Made in America" that can now be found at Wally World is some of the employees.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    I am old enough to remember when Wal Mart was just taking off. There were "Buy American" banners hanging in every store.

What happened? Simple. Sam Walton died and a "profit at all" cost CEO took over. The rest is Chinese capitalistic history.
    Walmart sent messages to their vendors telling them if they want to stay on their vendors list, they will move operations to China. Walmart has a huge hand in our companies moving to china. They also used their political power to get tax breaks for moving. American workers paid to have their jobs moved abroad.
    Last edited by Nordberg; 05-30-2020 at 01:24 PM.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Walmart sent messages to their vendors telling them if they want to stay on their vendors list, they will move operations to China. Walmart has a huge hand in our companies moving to chains. They also used their political power to get tax breaks for moving. American workers paid to have their jobs moved abroad.
    Sad & true..........