Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scathing piece by Matt Taibbi: must read for Democrats

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default Scathing piece by Matt Taibbi: must read for Democrats

Nowhere has this been more evident than in the response to the Covid-19 crisis, where the almost mandatory take of pundits is that any protest of lockdown measures is troglodyte death wish. The aftereffects of years of Russiagate/Trump coverage are seen everywhere: press outlets reflexively associate complaints of government overreach with Trump, treason, and racism, and conversely radiate a creepily gleeful tone when describing aggressive emergency measures and the problems some “dumb” Americans have had accepting them.

On the campaign trail in 2016, I watched Democrats hand Trump the economic populism argument by dismissing all complaints about the failures of neoliberal economics. This mistake was later compounded by years of propaganda arguing that “economic insecurity” was just a Trojan Horse term for racism. These takes, along with the absurd kneecapping of the Bernie Sanders movement, have allowed Trump to position himself as a working-class hero, the sole voice of a squeezed underclass.

The same mistake is now being made with civil liberties. Millions have lost their jobs and businesses by government fiat, there’s a clamor for censorship and contact tracing programs that could have serious long-term consequences, yet voters only hear Trump making occasional remarks about freedom; Democrats treat it like it’s a word that should be banned by Facebook (a recent Washington Post headline put the term in quotation marks, as if one should be gloved to touch it). Has the Trump era really damaged our thinking to this degree?

My family is in quarantine, I worry about a premature return to work, and sure, I laughed at that Shaun of the Dead photo of Ohio protesters protesting state lockdown laws. But I also recognize the crisis is also raising serious civil liberties issues, from prisoners trapped in deadly conditions to profound questions about speech and assembly, the limits to surveillance and snitching, etc. If this disease is going to be in our lives for the foreseeable future, that makes it more urgent that we talk about what these rules will be, not less — yet the party I grew up supporting seems to have lost the ability to do so, and I don’t understand why.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/democr...ivil-liberties
    ________

Read it in its entirety.

It explains everything.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (05-22-2020), BRUTALITOPS (05-24-2020), cancel2 2022 (05-22-2020), countryboy (05-22-2020), dukkha (05-22-2020), Earl (05-23-2020), Grokmaster (05-22-2020), Hermes Thoth (05-24-2020), Life is Golden (05-24-2020), PostmodernProphet (05-23-2020), Stretch (05-22-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeh they won't read it!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Bigdog (05-22-2020), dukkha (05-22-2020), Grokmaster (05-22-2020), Life is Golden (05-24-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump's the President. Maybe you should address this to him?

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Yeh they won't read it!

I read it. What of it?

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Nowhere has this been more evident than in the response to the Covid-19 crisis, where the almost mandatory take of pundits is that any protest of lockdown measures is troglodyte death wish. The aftereffects of years of Russiagate/Trump coverage are seen everywhere: press outlets reflexively associate complaints of government overreach with Trump, treason, and racism, and conversely radiate a creepily gleeful tone when describing aggressive emergency measures and the problems some “dumb” Americans have had accepting them.

On the campaign trail in 2016, I watched Democrats hand Trump the economic populism argument by dismissing all complaints about the failures of neoliberal economics. This mistake was later compounded by years of propaganda arguing that “economic insecurity” was just a Trojan Horse term for racism. These takes, along with the absurd kneecapping of the Bernie Sanders movement, have allowed Trump to position himself as a working-class hero, the sole voice of a squeezed underclass.

The same mistake is now being made with civil liberties. Millions have lost their jobs and businesses by government fiat, there’s a clamor for censorship and contact tracing programs that could have serious long-term consequences, yet voters only hear Trump making occasional remarks about freedom; Democrats treat it like it’s a word that should be banned by Facebook (a recent Washington Post headline put the term in quotation marks, as if one should be gloved to touch it). Has the Trump era really damaged our thinking to this degree?

My family is in quarantine, I worry about a premature return to work, and sure, I laughed at that Shaun of the Dead photo of Ohio protesters protesting state lockdown laws. But I also recognize the crisis is also raising serious civil liberties issues, from prisoners trapped in deadly conditions to profound questions about speech and assembly, the limits to surveillance and snitching, etc. If this disease is going to be in our lives for the foreseeable future, that makes it more urgent that we talk about what these rules will be, not less — yet the party I grew up supporting seems to have lost the ability to do so, and I don’t understand why.

________

Read it in its entirety.

It explains everything.

What does it explain?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

Althea (05-24-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post

________

Read it in its entirety.

It explains everything.
    "Hey wait a second....In history when people were enslaved this here that we have going on now was often how it was accomplished!".
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-23-2020), Grokmaster (05-22-2020)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

tabibi sounds like a terrorist name.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

Grokmaster (05-22-2020)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

his mistake was later compounded by years of propaganda arguing that “economic insecurity” was just a
    Trojan Horse term for racism
    . These takes, along with the absurd kneecapping of the Bernie Sanders movement, have allowed Trump to position himself as a working-class hero, the sole voice of a squeezed underclass.

The same mistake is now being made with civil liberties. Millions have lost their jobs and businesses by government fiat, there’s a clamor for censorship and contact tracing programs that could have serious long-term consequences, yet voters only hear Trump making occasional remarks about freedom;

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Bigdog (05-22-2020), Grokmaster (05-22-2020)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

LOL

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    It does read like a manifesto.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    I read it. What of it?
    Well you say you read it, so what's your take on it then?

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    You should pull you head out & goggle it before you get blown up.

The mafia & terrorist just teamed up w/ the deep state & illuminati & they are coming for you in your sleep...........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You should pull you head out & goggle it before you get blown up.

The mafia & terrorist just teamed up w/ the deep state & illuminati & they are coming for you in your sleep...........
    Google is no longer a reputable source.

They decided that their Mind Molding Dreams are more important than truth.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    What does it explain?
    Quite a bit lol?

There was a day when liberals were actually liberal and journalism was practiced by actual journalists. But, because Trump, they both have been cheering against civil liberties for almost four years now. And it’s like they don’t even realize it.

Tiabbi is an actual liberal. Democrats should listen to him.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-23-2020), countryboy (05-23-2020)

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Well you say you read it, so what's your take on it then?

you didn't read it

23. The Following User Groans At jacksonsprat22 For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-24-2020)