1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Social Distancing 1 Week Earlier Would Have Saved 36,000 Americans

Social Distancing 1 Week Earlier Would Have Saved 36,000 Americans:

"The U.S. could have avoided nearly 36,000 deaths caused by the coronavirus through early May if stay-at-home orders and other social-distancing restrictions were implemented just one week earlier, a new study from Columbia University researchers shows.

The study, which focused on transmission in metropolitan areas, found that social-distancing measures adopted throughout the nation after March 15 "effectively reduced rates of COVID-19 transmission."

The researchers estimated that had the measures been instituted just one week earlier that the U.S. may have avoided more than 700,000 confirmed cases of the virus and as many as 35,927 deaths that it caused.

The researchers also estimated that if lockdown measures were instituted as early as March 1, approximately 54,000 fewer people would have died by May 3."

The Hill

Just like John Oliver SAID!

" Just losing days in a pandemic which can spread exponentially is a huge problem, but an entire month is absolutely CATASTROPHIC. "
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-21-2020), PostmodernProphet (05-23-2020)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (05-25-2020), domer76 (05-21-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-21-2020), signalmankenneth (05-21-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-21-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

2 Weeks = 54,000.

Electoral college = Dead Americans.

Vote early by mail.

Get RID of this monster!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-21-2020), domer76 (05-21-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-21-2020), Phantasmal (05-21-2020), signalmankenneth (05-21-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-21-2020)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump is responsible for the deaths of more Americans than are his favorite boogeymen, Muslims and illegal immigrants. The cult doesn't care.

8. The Following 2 Users Groan At Concart For This Awful Post:

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-21-2020), PoliTalker (05-21-2020), signalmankenneth (05-21-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-21-2020)

10. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Trump is responsible for the deaths of more Americans than are his favorite boogeymen, Muslims and illegal immigrants. The cult doesn't care.
    It truly is a cult. COVID has proved they are as devoted to their lord as Jim Jones followers were.

And I will believe HE is taking Hydroxy when HE releases his taxes.

After all, he said THAT TOO.

11. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

domer76 (05-21-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-21-2020), Phantasmal (05-21-2020)

13. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

The stable genus told us that this would magically disappear.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-21-2020)

15. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Trumpet,

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    The stable genus told us that this would magically disappear.
    HE is the one who needs to do the vanishing act.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-21-2020)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Trumpet (05-21-2020)

18. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,667 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Trumpet,

HE is the one who needs to do the vanishing act.
    Anyone who cheers the economic loss to millions of Americans and their families caused by the virus from China that China failed to contain, as you did, should do a vanishing act.

19. The Following User Groans At Earl For This Awful Post:

signalmankenneth (05-22-2020)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Callinectes (05-21-2020)

21. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 93 Times in 82 Posts

"The U.S. could have avoided nearly 36,000 deaths caused by the coronavirus through early May if stay-at-home orders and other social-distancing restrictions were implemented just one week earlier, a new study from Columbia University researchers shows.

The study, which focused on transmission in metropolitan areas, found that social-distancing measures adopted throughout the nation after March 15 "effectively reduced rates of COVID-19 transmission."

The researchers estimated that had the measures been instituted just one week earlier that the U.S. may have avoided more than 700,000 confirmed cases of the virus and as many as 35,927 deaths that it caused.

The researchers also estimated that if lockdown measures were instituted as early as March 1, approximately 54,000 fewer people would have died by May 3."

The Hill

" Just losing days in a pandemic which can spread exponentially is a huge problem, but an entire month is absolutely CATASTROPHIC. "
    It's a damn shame that China and the WHO covered it up for months, in fact according to the University of Southhampton had they warned the world only three weeks earlier 95% of the outbreak spread would have been prevented.

Effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions for containing the COVID-19 outbreak in China

Abstract
    Background: The COVID-19 outbreak containment strategies in China based on non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) appear to be effective. Quantitative research is still needed however to assess the efficacy of different candidate NPIs and their timings to guide ongoing and future responses to epidemics of this emerging disease across the World. Methods: We built a travel network-based susceptible-exposed-infectious-removed (SEIR) model to simulate the outbreak across cities in mainland China. We used epidemiological parameters estimated for the early stage of outbreak in Wuhan to parameterise the transmission before NPIs were implemented. To quantify the relative effect of various NPIs, daily changes of delay from illness onset to the first reported case in each county were used as a proxy for the improvement of case identification and isolation across the outbreak. Historical and near-real time human movement data, obtained from Baidu location-based service, were used to derive the intensity of travel restrictions and contact reductions across China. The model and outputs were validated using daily reported case numbers, with a series of sensitivity analyses conducted. Results: We estimated that there were a total of 114,325 COVID-19 cases (interquartile range [IQR] 76,776 - 164,576) in mainland China as of February 29, 2020, and these were highly correlated (p<0.001, R2=0.86) with reported incidence. Without NPIs, the number of COVID-19 cases would likely have shown a 67-fold increase (IQR: 44 - 94), with the effectiveness of different interventions varying. The early detection and isolation of cases was estimated to prevent more infections than travel restrictions and contact reductions, but integrated NPIs would achieve the strongest and most rapid effect. If NPIs could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier in China, cases could have been reduced by 66%, 86%, and 95%, respectively, together with significantly reducing the number of affected areas.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....03.20029843v3

22. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 93 Times in 82 Posts

The Hill

Can they explain why 66% of coronavirus infections in NYC were people under stay at home orders? Thought not.

23. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,770 Times in 3,312 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 166 Times in 157 Posts

The Hill

This is provably false. All of the studies show that this will become endemic, meaning we will all eventually get COVID. Everything we're doing is like trying to empty out the ocean with a teaspoon. It's completely irrational.

Also,

-Democrats caused the mask shortage.

-Democrats caused the ventilator shortage.

-Democrats put bureaucratic FDA red tape in the way of responding to this crisis.

-Democrats opposed the China travel ban that saved thousands of American lives.

-Democrats attacked President Trump as overreacting in the beginning and demanded that he prioritize the flu instead.

-Democrats were downplaying COVID and telling everyone to live their lives normally as recently as March.

-Democrats spent the first months of this pandemic diverting all the federal resources they could to impeachment.

-Democrats wasted critical time and resources blocking emergency relief to stuff the bill with taxpayer-funded power grabs and handouts for their donors.

-Democrats are lying to make the most prepared country on the planet look unprepared.

Even pathologists and other experts from the NY Times, World Health Organization, Stanford and Oxford researchers, and anti-Trump critics were forced to praise President Trump's aggressively proactive handling of COVID, to thank him for saving their own lives personally, to admit that his China travel ban (which Democrats opposed) worked, to admit that Democrat governors incompetently botched COVID, and to admit that this "crisis" is wildly exaggerated and fake.

California's Gavin Newsom even stated:

“Let me just be candid with you. I’d be lying to you to say that [Trump] hasn’t been responsive to our needs. He has. And so, as a sort of an offer of objectivity, I have to acknowledge that publicly...The fact is, every time that I've called the president, he's quickly gotten on the line. When we asked to get the support for that [USNS] Mercy ship in Southern California, he was able to direct that in real-time. We've got 2,000 of these field medical sites that are up, almost all operational now in the state, because of his support. Those are the facts."

The timeline reveals what a massive lie Democrats are trying to spread.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artichoke For This Post:

anatta (05-21-2020), Callinectes (05-21-2020), Earl (05-21-2020), RB 60 (05-22-2020)

25. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpeech View Post
    It's a damn shame that China and the WHO covered it up for months, in fact according to the University of Southhampton had they warned the world only three weeks earlier 95% of the outbreak spread would have been prevented.

Effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions for containing the COVID-19 outbreak in China

Abstract
    Background: The COVID-19 outbreak containment strategies in China based on non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) appear to be effective. Quantitative research is still needed however to assess the efficacy of different candidate NPIs and their timings to guide ongoing and future responses to epidemics of this emerging disease across the World. Methods: We built a travel network-based susceptible-exposed-infectious-removed (SEIR) model to simulate the outbreak across cities in mainland China. We used epidemiological parameters estimated for the early stage of outbreak in Wuhan to parameterise the transmission before NPIs were implemented. To quantify the relative effect of various NPIs, daily changes of delay from illness onset to the first reported case in each county were used as a proxy for the improvement of case identification and isolation across the outbreak. Historical and near-real time human movement data, obtained from Baidu location-based service, were used to derive the intensity of travel restrictions and contact reductions across China. The model and outputs were validated using daily reported case numbers, with a series of sensitivity analyses conducted. Results: We estimated that there were a total of 114,325 COVID-19 cases (interquartile range [IQR] 76,776 - 164,576) in mainland China as of February 29, 2020, and these were highly correlated (p<0.001, R2=0.86) with reported incidence. Without NPIs, the number of COVID-19 cases would likely have shown a 67-fold increase (IQR: 44 - 94), with the effectiveness of different interventions varying. The early detection and isolation of cases was estimated to prevent more infections than travel restrictions and contact reductions, but integrated NPIs would achieve the strongest and most rapid effect. If NPIs could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier in China, cases could have been reduced by 66%, 86%, and 95%, respectively, together with significantly reducing the number of affected areas.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....03.20029843v3
    Indeed.

Leave it to the far left loons to blame the China virus on the president.

China is responsible and must be held accountable.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

anatta (05-21-2020), FreeSpeech (05-21-2020), RB 60 (05-22-2020)

27. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post

This is provably false. All of the studies show that this will become endemic, meaning we will all eventually get COVID. Everything we're doing is like trying to empty out the ocean with a teaspoon. It's completely irrational.

Also,

-Democrats caused the mask shortage.

-Democrats caused the ventilator shortage.

-Democrats put bureaucratic FDA red tape in the way of responding to this crisis.

-Democrats opposed the China travel ban that saved thousands of American lives.

-Democrats attacked President Trump as overreacting in the beginning and demanded that he prioritize the flu instead.

-Democrats were downplaying COVID and telling everyone to live their lives normally as recently as March.

-Democrats spent the first months of this pandemic diverting all the federal resources they could to impeachment.

-Democrats wasted critical time and resources blocking emergency relief to stuff the bill with taxpayer-funded power grabs and handouts for their donors.

-Democrats are lying to make the most prepared country on the planet look unprepared.

Even pathologists and other experts from the NY Times, World Health Organization, Stanford and Oxford researchers, and anti-Trump critics were forced to praise President Trump's aggressively proactive handling of COVID, to thank him for saving their own lives personally, to admit that his China travel ban (which Democrats opposed) worked, to admit that Democrat governors incompetently botched COVID, and to admit that this "crisis" is wildly exaggerated and fake.

California's Gavin Newsom even stated:

“Let me just be candid with you. I’d be lying to you to say that [Trump] hasn’t been responsive to our needs. He has. And so, as a sort of an offer of objectivity, I have to acknowledge that publicly...The fact is, every time that I've called the president, he's quickly gotten on the line. When we asked to get the support for that [USNS] Mercy ship in Southern California, he was able to direct that in real-time. We've got 2,000 of these field medical sites that are up, almost all operational now in the state, because of his support. Those are the facts."

The timeline reveals what a massive lie Democrats are trying to spread.

Indeed.

Thanks.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Loving91390 (05-21-2020), RB 60 (05-22-2020)

29. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,138 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

It truly is a cult. COVID has proved they are as devoted to their lord as Jim Jones followers were.

And I will believe HE is taking Hydroxy when HE releases his taxes.

After all, he said THAT TOO.
    Sadly, I have family members that believe all the Qanon conspiracies as well as others out there. I use to try to educate them, but it does absolutely no good. I remember what my Mother told me, you have to love your family and do no harm, but you don’t have to like what they do.

30. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-21-2020)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-21-2020)

32. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Sadly, I have family members that believe all the Qanon conspiracies as well as others out there. I use to try to educate them, but it does absolutely no good. I remember what my Mother told me, you have to love your family and do no harm, but you don’t have to like what they do.
    Same here. This nonsense cuts across many family lines. And I do love my family. I wish some of them would listen to reason, but they seem to prefer unsupported nonsense, so I have to let them make that choice if I love them. I'm so glad it's not all of my family one way or the other, and I'm glad we can all get along anyway.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-21-2020)

34. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

he authors acknowledged that counterfactual experiments are based on hypothetical assumptions and that implementing quarantine measures is complicated by general uncertainty and economic concerns, among other things.
    hindsight is 20/20