Thread: Stalin , Hitler and Mao ??

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 15 Times in 11 Posts

Default Stalin , Hitler and Mao ??

The 3 most evil people to ever have Lived
    . You would be surprised who killed more

Stalin killed around 20 million. About 7-10 million from the Ukraine holocaust in 1932-33 and another 12 million in purges
    Mao -from his failed “Great leap forward “ , a total disaster killed 30 million plus ( 1958-61) and I don’t know how many he purged !!

Hitler -killed maybe 17 million in the death camps and with purges with many being Jews .Plus he started WW2

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

Mao was probably not quite as bad as the other 2.

Only because his mass-murders were probably more accidental, than Hitler's & Stalin's.

Hitler killed much more than 17 million, he killed another 20 - 30 million in the Soviet Union, mostly ethnic Russians.

So, I suspect Hitler's the worst, of the 3.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WitoldPilecki View Post
    Mao was probably not quite as bad as the other 2.

Only because his mass-murders were probably more accidental, than Hitler's & Stalin's.

Hitler killed much more than 17 million, he killed another 20 - 30 million in the Soviet Union, mostly ethnic Russians.

So, I suspect Hitler's the worst, of the 3.
    Yes if you add in WW2 then yes
    Germans just in the siege of Leningrad must have starved to death a few million Russians

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stalin was a hero

Mao was a legend

Hitler is a hero only in the minds of the evil American empire
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar44 View Post

Stalin killed around 20 million. About 7-10 million from the Ukraine holocaust in 1932-33 and another 12 million in purges
    Mao -from his failed “Great leap forward “ , a total disaster killed 30 million plus ( 1958-61) and I don’t know how many he purged !!

Hitler -killed maybe 17 million in the death camps and with purges with many being Jews .Plus he started WW2
    Number of people Stalin killed who didn't deserve it: 0
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

What about Ghengis Khan? He was responsible for around 40 million deaths. Which was around 10% of the world’s population at that time. More if you consider the Mongols opening of trade routes played a significant role in the spread of the bubonic plague in the 12th century.

Then there is Tojo. Under his leadership over 25 million, mostly Chinese, died.

Then there is Charles V of Spain. During his rule 25 to 50 million Native Americans died in the New World due to his conquest.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

You forgot Trump

8. The Following User Groans At Trumpet For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-17-2020)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Trying to do the math on these things is always dubious. I believe the most important thing to learn about these crimes against humanity is what their motivation was and how they were implemented

The Nazi's were obviously intent on destroying all Jews in Europe, and to take down a large number inferior races as a subsidiary goal. The Nazi's industrialized mass murder on scale unprecedented.

Seven million dead Ukrainians sounds dubious. The famine in 1932-33 was bad enough, but seven million would be about one quarter of the entire population of Ukraine. I have known elderly people who lived in 1930s Ukraine and I never got the impression from them that one quarter of the population ceased to exist in the 1932-33 famine. No question the famine was human-induced...whether it was intentional genocide or only due to the brutal agricultural collectivization policies of Stalin is an open question.

The point of the Gulag was to 1) terrorize people into submission, and 2) create a slave labor pool to achieve the objectives of Stalin for rapid industrialization. As brutal and dehumanizing as the Gulag was it's goal was forced labor and terror, not genocide. Most of the people I know who went into the Gulag survived their sentence, though they were obviously brutalized and scarred for life. The brutality of forced labor in the climate of Siberia and arctic Russia probably killed around a million people.

The Great Purges of the late 1930s probably resulted in several hundred thousand deaths minimum - purportedly political opponents of Stalin but undoutedly mostly sealing the premature fate of countless innocent people. I believe the most disappointing aspects of Russian history is that Stalin was never held accountable for his crimes.

The Rwandan genocide seems to hold a lot of lessons, but I still don't understand it that well. Beneath the simplistic explanations of Inter tribal rivalry, there seems to be deep linkages to the history of Belgian colonialism.
    Last edited by Cypress; 05-17-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typos

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TRUMP LIED 100K DIED View Post
    Number of people Stalin killed who didn't deserve it: 0
    Your on iggy !! One sick man

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    What about Ghengis Khan? He was responsible for around 40 million deaths. Which was around 10% of the world’s population at that time. More if you consider the Mongols opening of trade routes played a significant role in the spread of the bubonic plague in the 12th century.

Then there is Tojo. Under his leadership over 25 million, mostly Chinese, died.

Then there is Charles V of Spain. During his rule 25 to 50 million Native Americans died in the New World due to his conquest.
    Yes the Japanese emperor should have been included
    Don’t forget the death marches

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Trying to do the math on these things is always dubious. I believe the most important thing to learn about these crimes against humanity is what their motivation was and how they were implemented

The Nazi's were obviously intent on destroying all Jews in Europe, and to take down a large number inferior races as a subsidiary goal. The Nazi's industrialized mass murder on scale unprecedented.

Seven million dead Ukrainians sounds dubious. The famine in 1932-33 was bad enough, but seven million would be about one quarter of the entire population of Ukraine. I have known elderly people who lived in 1930s Ukraine and I never got the impression from them that one quarter of the population ceased to exist in the 1932-33 famine. No question the famine was human-induced...whether it was intentional genocide or only due to the brutal agricultural collectivization policies of Stalin is an open question.

The point of the Gulag was to 1) terrorize people into submission, and 2) create a slave labor pool to achieve the objectives of Stalin for rapid industrialization. As brutal and dehumanizing as the Gulag was it's goal was forced labor and terror, not genocide. Most of the people I know who went into the Gulag survived their sentence, though they were obviously brutalized and scarred for life. The brutality of forced labor in the climate of Siberia and arctic Russia probably killed around a million people.

The Great Purges of the late 1930s probably resulted in several hundred thousand deaths minimum - purportedly political opponents of Stalin but undoutedly mostly sealing the premature fate of countless innocent people. I believe the most disappointing aspects of Russian history is that Stalin was never held accountable for his crimes.

The Rwandan genocide seems to hold a lot of lessons, but I still don't understand it that well. Beneath the simplistic explanations of Inter tribal rivalry, there seems to be deep linkages to the history of Belgian colonialism.
    Stalin did it intentionally on Ukraine
    Hitler actually wanted to deport all Jews but every nation refused to take them ( even the USA ) . The UK took a few hundred Jewish kids in .

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes the Japanese emperor should have been included
    Don’t forget the death marches
    How can I? My wife is Filipino and pointed out to me a long time ago how annoying it is to hear Americans mispronounce Bataan. Keep in mind more Filipinos died for n that March than Americans so it’s seared into their collective memory too.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Stalin did it intentionally on Ukraine
    Hitler actually wanted to deport all Jews but every nation refused to take them ( even the USA ) . The UK took a few hundred Jewish kids in .
    The crimes of Hitler and Stalin are appalling enough without resorting to hypotheticals about what mighta, coulda, or shoulda happened. Hitler never asked the Jews of Poland, Ukraine, Byelorussia if they would kindly just get on a boat and go to New York. They were rounded up and murdered post haste.

Stalin's crimes are bad enough without resorting to hypotheticals on the Ukraine famine. It was undoubtedly a man made famine, resulting from Stalin's brutal agricultural collectivization policies. And there was systematic repression and even murder of the Kulaks. But there is no scholarly consensus that the famine was intentionally engineered for the purpose of genocide, and there is no existing documentation showing it was. The fact is collectivization was a a brutal enough policy without trying to criminally conflate it with the genocide of the Jews. The thing that was truly terrifying about Stalinist Russia was the overwhelming climate of fear, oppression, and repression practiced relentlessly by the State against its own citizens.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think that’s what was so frightening about the Mongols other than to use mass killings as a form of terror weapon and just plain brutal logic.

The Mongols logic is that once they had conquered a city/region/nation they would usually kill the current ruling class, take some slaves and largely leave the conquered to govern themselves as long as they paid tribute and obeyed a few basic rules the Mongols pretty much left them alone. But if they rebelled the Mongol logic was, what’s the most effective way to prevent any future rebellions in that city/region/nation? It was kill everyone...and they did.

The histories I’ve read document how efficiently the could depopulate an entire city. It is believed 20,000 Mongols executed 500,000 people of the city of Nor in a single morning.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The crimes of Hitler and Stalin are appalling enough without resorting to hypotheticals about what mighta, coulda, or shoulda happened. Hitler never asked the Jews of Poland, Ukraine, Byelorussia if they would kindly just get on a boat and go to New York. They were rounded up and murdered post haste.

Stalin's crimes are bad enough without resorting to hypotheticals on the Ukraine famine. It was undoubtedly a man made famine, resulting from Stalin's brutal agricultural collectivization policies. And there was systematic repression and even murder of the Kulaks. But there is no scholarly consensus that the famine was intentionally engineered for the purpose of genocide, and there is no existing documentation showing it was. The fact is collectivization was a a brutal enough policy without trying to criminally conflate it with the genocide of the Jews. The thing that was truly terrifying about Stalinist Russia was the overwhelming climate of fear, oppression, and repression practiced relentlessly by the State against its own citizens.
    I think you make a valid point about the Nazi genocides. There have been worse genocides committed in history but none of that scale which were done so quickly on a modern industrial scale.