1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,619 Times in 51,914 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mason? View Post
    That's Angels
    Since you're a well-known scumbag and liar, you'll need to provide facts supporting your theories.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cohort View Post
    Ezekiel 23:20 Yet she multiplied her promiscuity, remembering the days of her youth, when she had prostituted herself in the land of Egypt and lusted after their lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of stallions
    Awesome. I'm sure my 9 year old grandson would enjoy a Bible reading assignment. I'll send him to his Grandma if he has any questions.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...23&version=NIV

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-26-2020)

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Interesting that this Biblical god refers to gods, plural. And of course they want to keep all the goodies for themselves. lol
    When I was 8 I asked about this, the answer given was unsatisfying and became one of the original reasons that I later told the church, probably one of my worst mistakes, that I didn't believe. This began an enforced regime, from 10 on when I told them, of classes and time at the church at an unprecedented level. No 10 year old (through 17 when I joined the Navy and left for boot camp) should have to endure this kind of nonsense. The church was huge, had its own bible college, I was enrolled in many classes... Now I did get some benefit from this, I did learn sign language... once learned they forced me to translate on Thursday evening services for the deaf folk in their congregation. I was part of the "art ministry"... That's a whole different experience that will need its own post. I was also forced to translate for the Prison Ministry when they ministered to folks in prison... some of whom are deaf. There are other classes, etc. that I was forced into, but we'll get into that nonsense later.

Not believing in gods is not something that makes one a liberal... I am not that.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (05-27-2020)

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    When I was 8 I asked about this, the answer given was unsatisfying and became one of the original reasons that I later told the church, probably one of my worst mistakes, that I didn't believe. This began an enforced regime, from 10 on when I told them, of classes and time at the church at an unprecedented level. No 10 year old (through 17 when I joined the Navy and left for boot camp) should have to endure this kind of nonsense. The church was huge, had its own bible college, I was enrolled in many classes... Now I did get some benefit from this, I did learn sign language... once learned they forced me to translate on Thursday evening services for the deaf folk in their congregation. I was part of the "art ministry"... That's a whole different experience that will need its own post. I was also forced to translate for the Prison Ministry when they ministered to folks in prison... some of whom are deaf. There are other classes, etc. that I was forced into, but we'll get into that nonsense later.
    This should be in a textbook about "How Not to Bring Your Child to Jesus." Nothing like being punished for being honest. After your period of service in the armed forces, did members of your family and/or this church continue to exhort you about returning to the fold? What led you to your current path?

Not believing in gods is not something that makes one a liberal... I am not that.
    Of course not. Interestingly, almost all of the Republican/conservatives that I knew growing up didn't go to church and were atheists. Most of them were also scientists which may have had something to do with that.

I'd like to hear about the "art ministry" when you have the time.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Too many unanswered questions for me to believe in a God, but I certainly respect everyone's right to do so.

I am only conservative fiscally, socially progressive.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This should be in a textbook about "How Not to Bring Your Child to Jesus." Nothing like being punished for being honest. After your period of service in the armed forces, did members of your family and/or this church continue to exhort you about returning to the fold? What led you to your current path?

Of course not. Interestingly, almost all of the Republican/conservatives that I knew growing up didn't go to church and were atheists. Most of them were also scientists which may have had something to do with that.

I'd like to hear about the "art ministry" when you have the time.
    True. It did not work well and was a "lead me away" rather than a "lead me to Jesus" moment. And no, by the time I returned from the military I could not be forced into something like that. For a long time I was angry... very angry. But Buddhism helped to resolve that. Not the religion, as it is not one of those... Buddha never taught about gods, but the philosophy.

Among other things. Art Ministry, Prison Ministry, Translator, Israeli Dance Team (travel was involved, some of which I actually got some benefit from), I memorized huge swathes of the bible (some in Greek, it was not pleasant)...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-26-2020), USFREEDOM911 (05-27-2020)

10. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Too many unanswered questions for me to believe in a God, but I certainly respect everyone's right to do so.

I am only conservative fiscally, socially progressive.
    the worst possible combination...

turning humans into wage slaves, and villifying traditional families and basic morality...

for you neocons and libertarians, central banks and destroying faith and family were all in the communist manifesto.

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

True. It did not work well and was a "lead me away" rather than a "lead me to Jesus" moment. And no, by the time I returned from the military I could not be forced into something like that. For a long time I was angry... very angry. But Buddhism helped to resolve that. Not the religion, as it is not one of those... Buddha never taught about gods, but the philosophy.

Among other things. Art Ministry, Prison Ministry, Translator, Israeli Dance Team (travel was involved, some of which I actually got some benefit from), I memorized huge swathes of the bible (some in Greek, it was not pleasant)...
    Sometimes I wonder if zealous parents and church members have even the slightest clue that those tactics drive away more souls than they "save."

Israeli Dance Team? What is that?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I wonder if zealous parents and church members have even the slightest clue that those tactics drive away more souls than they "save."

Israeli Dance Team? What is that?
    Just what it sounds like. We did Israeli dancing... The church thought it was important to try to convert Jewish folks, one of the ways they showed the importance of that was "Israel Awareness Day"... This is where some of the Art Ministry stuff came around. The church I grew up in had well over 10K regularly attending members, there was a large diversity of talent. We had several teams of dancers, from young kids in elementary school, through young adults in their 30s...

Anyway, around 13 I was placed in charge of what I called the holocaust room, and each year I would put together a room that was supposed to give a slight idea of what it was like (enclosed space with slats, you would hear sounds of train, see passing scenes through slats, etc.). While all I could use were images and sound, I put together (with a team of folks) a room that reminded many of the survivors and deeply affected them (at least that is what they told me). I met quite a few folks, held conversations with survivors and in the next year would do better... Previous to that I did a 3D map of Jerusalem. I believe that it is still displayed at their yearly IAD... Like I said, often I would get benefit from their efforts, it just never was the "benefit" they were trying for... I just never believed in God any more than previously, and never would.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (05-27-2020)

14. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just what it sounds like. We did Israeli dancing... The church thought it was important to try to convert Jewish folks, one of the ways they showed the importance of that was "Israel Awareness Day"... This is where some of the Art Ministry stuff came around. The church I grew up in had well over 10K regularly attending members, there was a large diversity of talent. We had several teams of dancers, from young kids in elementary school, through young adults in their 30s...

Anyway, around 13 I was placed in charge of what I called the holocaust room, and each year I would put together a room that was supposed to give a slight idea of what it was like (enclosed space with slats, you would hear sounds of train, see passing scenes through slats, etc.). While all I could use were images and sound, I put together (with a team of folks) a room that reminded many of the survivors and deeply affected them (at least that is what they told me). I met quite a few folks, held conversations with survivors and in the next year would do better... Previous to that I did a 3D map of Jerusalem. I believe that it is still displayed at their yearly IAD... Like I said, often I would get benefit from their efforts, it just never was the "benefit" they were trying for... I just never believed in God any more than previously, and never would.
    I guess I was lucky ,never went to church ,sunday school,any religious training what so ever as a kid.
    YHWH had to come to me with an Epiphany when I was 26.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

15. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

that's fucked up. what denomination was that?

16. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Any chance you will have a change of mind ... when you burn in Hell for Eternity?

17. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    I guess I was lucky ,never went to church ,sunday school,any religious training what so ever as a kid.

18. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    Did that "Epiphany" die the next day when you sobered up or did you slowly strangle it with a lifetime of lies, false accusations and malicious deceit of others?

19. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Im serious,read these people that were pushed into church,and end up non-believers because of organized religion.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?