Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the open state catastrophes?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default Where are the open state catastrophes?

Several states have been open long enough for the really bad things to happen and they simply aren’t happening.

A bump in case numbers doesn’t rate as ‘catastrophic’, btw.

Were the models wrong? Do many voters in many states feel like they were locked down for too long—for no really good reason?

Three hours ago Trump took to Twitter [in his customary all Caps] and tweeted STATES NEED TO OPEN UP.

The man’s political instincts rarely fail him.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Celticguy (05-18-2020), Earl (05-18-2020), ExpressLane (05-20-2020), Irish (05-18-2020), Life is Golden (05-18-2020), Stretch (05-20-2020), Truth Detector (05-26-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Grow up, little man.

4. The Following 3 Users Groan At Charoite For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-19-2020), Earl (05-22-2020), Sirthinksalot (05-20-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Several states have been open long enough for the really bad things to happen and they simply aren’t happening.

Were the models wrong? Do many voters in many states feel like they were locked down for too long—for no really good reason?

Three hours ago Trump took to Twitter [in his customary all Caps] and tweeted STATES NEED TO OPEN UP.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Charoite (05-19-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

So a jump in cases isn't catastrophic? LOL at you. First come the cases, then come the hospitalizations, and then come the deaths. But no problem, right comrade?

8. The Following User Groans At Concart For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-18-2020)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Jerome (05-19-2020)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

we are past waiting it out. I was ready to go to the pool for the first time since quarantine,but it's pouring down rain

Georgia and Fl are OPEN UP

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-18-2020), Earl (05-18-2020), Life is Golden (05-18-2020), Stretch (05-20-2020)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    So a jump in cases isn't catastrophic? LOL at you. First come the cases, then come the hospitalizations, and then come the deaths. But no problem, right comrade?
    It's almost moot at this point. The economy has to open up. People are already greatly damaged.
    It's learning to cope with COVID time

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2020), Life is Golden (05-18-2020), TOP (05-18-2020)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,227 Times in 6,865 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Why do you keep starting threads that will be easy to bump later?

I hope things don't go up. But there are more factors to spikes then simply "opening up" and "shutting down."

People keep talking about Georgia, for example. Is anyone factoring in how much a given state is traveled, and how many from out-of-state stay there? I always find it perplexing when people try to compare that area to NYC, where pretty much everyone around the world goes & travels through.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Althea (05-20-2020)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    It's almost moot at this point. The economy has to open up. People are already greatly damaged.
    It's learning to cope with COVID time
    I'm not sure why anyone is still complaining, or acting like there are leaders who are adament about staying shut down. All states are opening up now. Some more gradually than others, but all are on the same page that we can't continue shutting down, and we have to find a way to safely open up.

It's being done. There is nothing left to complain about, unless it's a hardship for someone to wear a mask. We'll have to see how it goes, and hope for the best.

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Why do you keep starting threads that will be easy to bump later?

I hope things don't go up. But there are more factors to spikes then simply "opening up" and "shutting down."

People keep talking about Georgia, for example. Is anyone factoring in how much a given state is traveled, and how many from out-of-state stay there? I always find it perplexing when people try to compare that area to NYC, where pretty much everyone around the world goes & travels through.
    Kemp was vilified "people die' crap.
    Turns out he made the correct decision. That was back in April. Now it's mid-May. Just when do you want everything opened up

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2020), Life is Golden (05-18-2020)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not sure why anyone is still complaining, or acting like there are leaders who are adament about staying shut down. All states are opening up now. Some more gradually than others, but all are on the same page that we can't continue shutting down, and we have to find a way to safely open up.

It's being done. There is nothing left to complain about, unless it's a hardship for someone to wear a mask. We'll have to see how it goes, and hope for the best.
    some are not open. or are so limited the economy is dead.
    I have no idea how people are staying economically afloat. I get paychecks.
    If I didn't i'd be up to my ass and more with credit card debt -then what?? I couldn't pay a month or 2 bills back

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Takes time there “DO,” some of these States have only been at a week and half, and today we see Texas climbing to new records

You are missing two thoughts, the first is that the States with less population density aren’t going to suddenly see astronomical numbers, it isn’t going to resemble NY, but rather gradual increases, and the health infrastructure as is in those areas can’t handle even a mild increase.

Second, no one is opposed to reopening the economy, Trump’s line that Democrats oppose reopening to defeat him in November is hogwash. The issue becomes safe reopening, we can’t beat the virus, but the hope is to contain it, opening in stages is the best approach, open, test and trace. When you don’t have the tools for the later, which most States don’t at this point, you are taking chances with other peoples health

I have a solution, all those people who show up to protest, those that flood bars in Wisconsin, beauty salons in Texas, should sign a pledge stating that if they get sick, if they catch the virus, they agree to be given a low priority status at the hospital behind everyone else.

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    some are not open. or are so limited the economy is dead.
    I have no idea how people are staying economically afloat. I get paychecks.
    If I didn't i'd be up to my ass and more with credit card debt -then what?? I couldn't pay a month or 2 bills back
    Opening, unfortnately, is not a cure-all economically. People are still going to be hesitant to frequent bars & restaurants, and things like that. I've heard restaurant owners say that this could be the end of the industry as we know it, which would suck. They just can't run at half or 3/4 capacity.
    Last edited by BartenderElite; 05-18-2020 at 10:29 AM.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Takes time there “DO,” some of these States have only been at a week and half, and today we see Texas climbing to new records

You are missing two thoughts, the first is that the States with less population density aren’t going to suddenly see astronomical numbers, it isn’t going to resemble NY, but rather gradual increases, and the health infrastructure as is in those areas can’t handle even a mild increase.

Second, no one is opposed to reopening the economy, Trump’s line that Democrats oppose reopening to defeat him in November is hogwash. The issue becomes safe reopening, we can’t beat the virus, but the hope is to contain it, opening in stages is the best approach, open, test and trace. When you don’t have the tools for the later, which most States don’t at this point, you are taking chances with other peoples health

I have a solution, all those people who show up to protest, those that flood bars in Wisconsin, beauty salons in Texas, should sign a pledge stating that if they get sick, if they catch the virus, they agree to be given a low priority status at the hospital behind everyone else.
    people are protesting because they are UP AGAINST THE WALL.
    They aren't there for politics. Jobs are disappearing.. I heard some place at the rate of 10k a week. ( no source)
    i,e, jobs that wont come back

You know how this works, the longer the quarantine the more permanent damage to the economy

38 million Americans out of work...we are beyond critical mass

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2020), Stretch (05-20-2020)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Opening, unfortnately, it's a cure-all economically. People are still going to be hesitant to frequent bars & restaurants, and things like that. I've heard restaurant owners say that this could be the end of the industry as we know it, which would suck. They just can't run at half or 3/4 capacity.
    yes. We are going to have permanent damage.
    but give a business a chance to save itself;and people a chance to save their job.
    That means even where COVID is still problematic

25. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (05-18-2020)

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

So, are the unemployment numbers plummeting? Is GDP going up? Since these states have been opened up long enough for 'really bad things to happen', I assume the opposite would be true. So can you show me the stats that indicate a huge uptick in economic activity? Didn't think so. It's a stupid OP. There is obviously going to be a delay in measuring the impact of these 're-openings. My suspicion is that we won't see a huge uptick in economic activity, but we will see an uptick in cases. The more economic activity, the more new cases. I think both impacts will be very muted, given that most of the country isn't going to the businesses that have re-opened.

27. The Following User Groans At Concart For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-18-2020)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Althea (05-20-2020)