Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Democratic Convention being held in a right wing racist state?

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,127 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    ahh, hot pieces of ass with magic....I sure as shit could do with more of this!
    lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermes Thoth For This Post:

Hawkeye10 (05-25-2020)

3. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    lol
    As I say most every day to my hound......."You are something....I have no idea what you are...But you are something else".
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Hermes Thoth (05-25-2020)

5. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I dont know where you are....If I had to pick three people here to share a pitcher of lemonade on the front porch then FRANK APISA is one of those guys.

Do U understand?
    no.....after reading his posts these last few years it is incomrehensible that anyone would voluntarily be in his company.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Sure, but the point is that Medicare for All isn't a far-left idea anymore. And generally speaking, the things that get normalized across the board in the West are good.
    I think the West has been going downhill culturally since the 2000s. The 90s were basically the apex of Western culture.

There will come a time when certain cultures outside of the West will rise to the top. We already see that Islamic culture will eventually replace parts of Europe, for example. Progressivism has reached a point where it is self-destructive. This is already beginning to show in things like birth rates and suicide rates.

7. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Our system treats healthcare as a commodity and a corporate business. It uses the 6 sigma methods and tries to lower costs by stockpiling as little as they can get away with. It provides a min of beds so they are not wasting profits on empty rooms. Cost-cutting for profit results in finding the cheapest doctors they can get and paying nurses and workers as little as possible. Healthcare is a right, not a for-profit business. We are the only industrial country that does this.
    Insurance companies stand between customers and healthcare. They determine what treatments you can get. They pick your doctors and hospitals. They increase profits by denying treatment, so they do.
    I agree with you on insurance. Honestly, I'd be ok with nationalizing all insurance, since it's the only industry where you profit more from denying service than providing it.

That's the issue though. The rest of the medical industry is mostly ok. Get rid of the insurance middlemen, and the problem is mostly solved. Now, if you want to create a public healthcare system that still leaves room for a competitive private one, then I'm ok with that. That's how France does it. It allows consumers to reap the benefits of each system.

8. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,555 Times in 17,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    I agree with you on insurance. Honestly, I'd be ok with nationalizing all insurance, since it's the only industry where you profit more from denying service than providing it.

That's the issue though. The rest of the medical industry is mostly ok. Get rid of the insurance middlemen, and the problem is mostly solved. Now, if you want to create a public healthcare system that still leaves room for a competitive private one, then I'm ok with that. That's how France does it. It allows consumers to reap the benefits of each system.
    It would be a good start. Then see how it works. Healthcare is a real fear for almost all Americans who are one illness away from financial disaster, even with insurance. To the rich, it is couch change. They see the people getting insurance coverage as costing them money. They fight that with religious zeal.

9. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

I think the West has been going downhill culturally since the 2000s. The 90s were basically the apex of Western culture.
    In what ways? If you mean art, that's subjective.

There will come a time when certain cultures outside of the West will rise to the top. We already see that Islamic culture will eventually replace parts of Europe, for example. Progressivism has reached a point where it is self-destructive. This is already beginning to show in things like birth rates and suicide rates.
    So I don't know if you're part of the Alt-Right, but this is a huge Alt-Right talking point that just isn't true for two reasons.

First, the amount of Muslims being taken in is extremely small. The Muslim population is less than 10% in Sweden, Germany, the UK, France, Denmark, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Norway. These are the countries the Alt-Right most cites as being flooded with Muslims.

Secondly, white Muslims are assimilating in Europe just like they're assimilating in America. Some European countries have already been majority Muslim for decades. Muslims make up the majority in Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and North Macedonia. These countries haven't replaced Western culture with Muslim culture. They still have Democracy and their native European cultures.

10. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It would be a good start. Then see how it works. Healthcare is a real fear for almost all Americans who are one illness away from financial disaster, even with insurance. To the rich, it is couch change. They see the people getting insurance coverage as costing them money. They fight that with religious zeal.
    The insurance industry was quite fond of the ACA, actually. A lot of the medical industry was as well.

The people who fought the ACA were mostly those who understood that mandatory private insurance just means higher premiums.

The real fight involved here would be the insurance industry not wanting to lose its hold on the system. Those are the only "rich" to blame here.

11. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In what ways? If you mean art, that's subjective.
    In the American context, Democrats weren't as much into identity politics. They still had a significant working class focus. They were also much more supportive of free speech than they are today. They still recognized the importance of border security.

In the European context, the EU hadn't ventured as far into social policy. It was still primarily an economic institution that allowed its members to make most of their own policies outside of trade.

So I don't know if you're part of the Alt-Right, but this is a huge Alt-Right talking point that just isn't true for two reasons.

First, the amount of Muslims being taken in is extremely small. The Muslim population is less than 10% in Sweden, Germany, the UK, France, Denmark, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Norway. These are the countries the Alt-Right most cites as being flooded with Muslims.

Secondly, white Muslims are assimilating in Europe just like they're assimilating in America. Some European countries have already been majority Muslim for decades. Muslims make up the majority in Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and North Macedonia. These countries haven't replaced Western culture with Muslim culture. They still have Democracy and their native European cultures.
    And yet, Arab Muslims are quite different, no? They also have significantly higher birth rates. All of the most feminist and progressive European countries have low native birth rates. In combination with immigration and refugee policies, that adds up.

12. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,555 Times in 17,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The insurance industry was quite fond of the ACA, actually. A lot of the medical industry was as well.

The people who fought the ACA were mostly those who understood that mandatory private insurance just means higher premiums.

The real fight involved here would be the insurance industry not wanting to lose its hold on the system. Those are the only "rich" to blame here.
    It extended coverage to millions who were without. it made huge strides in many ways, including no limits on costs, forcing Insurance Companies to 15 profit margins and several others.l like pre-existing conditions. It was an important first step. Anyone had to know the Repubs would try to kill it. Obama could not take insurance companies out of the equation for obvious political reasons.

13. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It extended coverage to millions who were without. it made huge strides in many ways, including no limits on costs, forcing Insurance Companies to 15 profit margins and several others.l like pre-existing conditions. It was an important first step. Anyone had to know the Repubs would try to kill it. Obama could not take insurance companies out of the equation for obvious political reasons.
    There were numerous exemptions regarding profit limits. A lot of the most oligopolistic and monopolistic markets for insurance were allowed whatever margins they wanted. The main reason for said exemptions didn't come from Republicans. It came from "Blue Dog" Democrats who had insurance connections. Max Baucus was one of them.

As you said, Republicans were going to vote against it no matter what, so this is why the negotiating was done with corporatist Democrats.

Another often overlooked factor was that many people chose not to have insurance. Not everyone wants to deal with insurance, and some people are able to use the few cash-only doctors out there -- or ones that are able to make their own payment plans. A lot of people signed up for insurance solely to avoid fines, not because they wanted insurance.

14. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In the American context, Democrats weren't as much into identity politics. They still had a significant working class focus. They were also much more supportive of free speech than they are today. They still recognized the importance of border security.

In the European context, the EU hadn't ventured as far into social policy. It was still primarily an economic institution that allowed its members to make most of their own policies outside of trade.
    The Identity Politics thing is totally true, but that's just part of America becoming multiracial. The Republicans have also become more into Identity Politics. So yeah, I agree with you on this point, but it's not an example of America going downhill because it's becoming more liberal.

Democrats aren't against free speech at all. Even AOC, one of the main scapegoats of the Right, has said that Trump's hate speech should remain legal. At the very most, some Democrats have argued that Twitter and Facebook should crack down on hate speech, but that's it.

And yet, Arab Muslims are quite different, no? They also have significantly higher birth rates. All of the most feminist and progressive European countries have low native birth rates. In combination with immigration and refugee policies, that adds up.
    First generation immigrants have higher birth rates, but then the birth rate drops with the second generation. And it's the same for all immigrants, regardless of race. This means that the immigration policy of countries like Germany is good because most of the immigrants they take in are Whites from Eastern Europe.

15. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

maybe the Demmycrats decided to hold their convention somewhere that the demmycrats wouldn't burn to the ground before the convention.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Identity Politics thing is totally true, but that's just part of America becoming multiracial. The Republicans have also become more into Identity Politics. So yeah, I agree with you on this point, but it's not an example of America going downhill because it's becoming more liberal.

Democrats aren't against free speech at all. Even AOC, one of the main scapegoats of the Right, has said that Trump's hate speech should remain legal. At the very most, some Democrats have argued that Twitter and Facebook should crack down on hate speech, but that's it.
    If Democrats are still supportive of free speech, why is it that so many progressives argue for "deplatforming" conservatives? This happens a lot on social media. Shadow bans and various other tactics are used as well on things like Youtube and Twitter.

Maybe many of their elected officials still support it, but clearly, much of their base and many of their political persuasion in powerful media positions don't. A lot of academia has shifted away from the idea as well.

First generation immigrants have higher birth rates, but then the birth rate drops with the second generation. And it's the same for all immigrants, regardless of race. This means that the immigration policy of countries like Germany is good because most of the immigrants they take in are Whites from Eastern Europe.
    "The Strange Death of Europe" by Douglas Murray goes into greater detail as to why Europe faces a demographic issue with their immigration policies. I may post a relevant excerpt from it here eventually. I borrowed it from a friend a while back, but I don't have a copy with me at the moment.

17. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If Democrats are still supportive of free speech, why is it that so many progressives argue for "deplatforming" conservatives? This happens a lot on social media. Shadow bans and various other tactics are used as well on things like Youtube and Twitter.

Maybe many of their elected officials still support it, but clearly, much of their base and many of their political persuasion in powerful media positions don't. A lot of academia has shifted away from the idea as well.
    Freedom of speech means the government can't stop you from saying things. It does not mean you're entitled to a platform.
    I've heard lots of people call for Trump to be banned from Twitter, but I haven't heard anyone say he should be arrested for his tweets.

"The Strange Death of Europe" by Douglas Murray goes into greater detail as to why Europe faces a demographic issue with their immigration policies. I may post a relevant excerpt from it here eventually. I borrowed it from a friend a while back, but I don't have a copy with me at the moment.
    I'm familiar with Douglas Murray. He mainly uses two arguments. One is the myth of the mass migrant rapes, which still isn't supported by the evidence. And the other is this idea that European countries are being filled with Muslims who refuse to assimilate. Like I said before, the countries most often cited still have a Muslim population of less than 10%. And Murray never offers real examples of how Islam has changed European cultures. He says that Germany now has Sharia Law, but always leaves out the facts that this is only in certain circumstances, only applies to Muslims without German citizenship, and can not contradict secular German law.