Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gotta Love John Oliver

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 7,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    He'd be a lot better if he was unbiased.
    We think you would be a lot better- IF YOU WERE UNBIASED!

Just a little tip for you!

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At Geeko Sportivo For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-23-2020), Irish (05-23-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Oh ok, you like it when he disses Trump but the rest of the time he's a ginormous arse hole, amirite. I have laid out my reasons for favouring Trump many times, you must know that surely? He is the least worst option, Biden would just be putty in Xi's hands, I am bloody sure they are working night and day to get the demented dope elected. I wonder what Mueller is doing maybe he will run another investigation into Chinese interference if JB is elected? Oh nearly forgot we need him more than ever for a good trade deal with the US!
    No, I honestly have little opinion of him~since I neither read nor watch "his show" I merely comment on the gems that float into my space.

I must say though a good word can & should be said about a man willing to stick w/ his convictions, be honest eventhough it is gonna cost him..

That is so missing in politics & here as well...........

Voting for someone, or even supporting them does not equate to not holding them to account............
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You'll be waking up to your new reality soon enough...... Kinda funny watching it happen, like a train wreck in slow motion..........
    One of the things about being a hyper educated person late in life is that grand surprises almost never happen anymore.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

No, I honestly have little opinion of him~since I neither read nor watch "his show" I merely comment on the gems that float into my space.

I must say though a good word can & should be said about a man willing to stick w/ his convictions, be honest eventhough it is gonna cost him..

That is so missing in politics & here as well...........

Voting for someone, or even supporting them does not equate to not holding them to account............
    Totally agree on that one, mate.

If Biden gets elected, that in no way gets him off the hook for scrutiny. He messes up? He deserves criticism.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    We think you would be a lot better- IF YOU WERE UNBIASED!

Just a little tip for you!
    I don't go on TV claiming to be a nonbiased news person/alleged comedian. Big difference, DOLT!
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bill,

Totally agree on that one, mate.

If Biden gets elected, that in no way gets him off the hook for scrutiny. He messes up? He deserves criticism.
    They all have to be held accountable, if we like it or not!!!

I criticized every president/admin etc since Clinton on these here boards......

Mostly, although certainly not exclusively, imploring improvement~not to just get my shit off or bash them........

I was prob particularly hard on Obama, one since I voted for him in 2008 & two thought he could have done more.........

My approach is essentially this: (a quote attributed to FDR)

"You know, Mr. Randolph, I've heard everything you've said tonight, and I couldn't agree with you more. I agree with everything that you've said, including my capacity to be able to right many of these wrongs and to use my power and the bully pulpit. ... But I would ask one thing of you, Mr. Randolph, and that is go out and make me do it."

FDR was often accused of many things by his opponents & his response was often something to the effect~ no sir, this is not my desire or wanting, but the ppl, they are demanding it of me, of us, our administration etc etc etc...

This demand from the people for [X] gives political capital~power & emphasis that they can weld...

IMHO there was/is a real lack of it as many are afraid to criticize "their team", the very ones that should be holding them to a higher standard, their feet to the fire etc etc etc.......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

They all have to be held accountable, if we like it or not!!!

I criticized every president/admin etc since Clinton on these here boards......

Mostly, although certainly not exclusively, imploring improvement~not to just get my shit off or bash them........

I was prob particularly hard on Obama, one since I voted for him in 2008 & two thought he could have done more.........

My approach is essentially this: (a quote attributed to FDR)

"You know, Mr. Randolph, I've heard everything you've said tonight, and I couldn't agree with you more. I agree with everything that you've said, including my capacity to be able to right many of these wrongs and to use my power and the bully pulpit. ... But I would ask one thing of you, Mr. Randolph, and that is go out and make me do it."

FDR was often accused of many things by his opponents & his response was often something to the effect~ no sir, this is not my desire or wanting, but the ppl, they are demanding it of me, of us, our administration etc etc etc...

This demand from the people for [X] gives political capital~power & emphasis that they can weld...

IMHO there was/is a real lack of it as many are afraid to criticize "their team", the very ones that should be holding them to a higher standard, their feet to the fire etc etc etc.......
    That was so admirable of him. We sure could use a great president in our time of need. And all we have is this excuse of a conman pretender BS artist.

Sadly, it has become a matter of life or death.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

That was so admirable of him. We sure could use a great president in our time of need. And all we have is this excuse of a conman pretender BS artist.

Sadly, it has become a matter of life or death.
    IMHO, trump is just what he has always been, he hasn't risen to the job, as his fans had hoped...... He's an entertainer, shuffling chairs, leaving jobs open, slamming doors etc & the institutions can carry on, it's doable, until you have a crisis, then you need a leader, not an entertainer..

It is totally apparent to anyone willing to look, from the vacant posts, gutting of crucial departments etc to the lashing out @ the very ppl he is supposedly trying to lead..

Great leaders don't nag, they lead, they set an example etc etc etc......

What you see, is what you get, nothing more......

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I don't go on TV claiming to be a nonbiased news person/alleged comedian. Big difference, DOLT!
    I've never heard any comedian or News person claim they are biased or non-biased or revealed which way they vote.

You are making assumptions based on an entertainer's jokes or criticism about the president.

No president- NO PRESIDENT is immune to jokes or criticism.

So Donald Trump and his ass kissers need to grow up and start getting used to it!

However, it's almost too late, as this president is just about done and will soon just be a bad spot in American History!

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

IMHO, trump is just what he has always been, he hasn't risen to the job, as his fans had hoped...... He's an entertainer, shuffling chairs, leaving jobs open, slamming doors etc & the institutions can carry on, it's doable, until you have a crisis, then you need a leader, not an entertainer..

It is totally apparent to anyone willing to look, from the vacant posts, gutting of crucial departments etc to the lashing out @ the very ppl he is supposedly trying to lead..

Right down to the wearing of a mask. We see all the more respected leaders of the world leading by example, and we see him 'choosing not to wear one.'

Because of this lack of leadership, many of his deplorable followers will not wear masks, and there will be more spread of the disease because of it. He has told them in dog whistle code speak that they never have to bother with a mask or social distancing. That kind of irresponsibility is getting people killed. Terrible leadership that results in a higher death toll. And what do you know. The USA has the highest death toll. Taiwan? None of that nonsense. Serious about it from the start, Actually got the jump start on it. 7 deaths. Total. There's the difference in quality of leadership. And, bonus - since they controlled it from the start they never had to shut down their economy. No mass unemployment, no hit to the GDP, none of those problems. How different it could have been with good proactive leadership. What we have in DT is lousy reactive leadership.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 05-23-2020 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typos

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I've never heard any comedian or News person claim they are biased or non-biased or revealed which way they vote.

You are making assumptions based on an entertainer's jokes or criticism about the president.

No president- NO PRESIDENT is immune to jokes or criticism.

So Donald Trump and his ass kissers need to grow up and start getting used to it!

However, it's almost too late, as this president is just about done and will soon just be a bad spot in American History!
    It is the duty of late night comedy to criticize the current president. This custom was established by Johnny Carson, and has been the standard ever since.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

It is the duty of late night comedy to criticize the current president. This custom was established by Johnny Carson, and has been the standard ever since.
    Obama, Carter, Bush, Reagan, and Clinton used to laugh at their funny critics with them along with everyone else. They had a sense of humor!

Obama, Carter, Bush, Reagan, and Clinton invited their critics to the White House as entertainment for special event dinners and would go out and be a part of the comedy on the late night show circuits!

It was just fun and laughter with previous presidents- But Donnie gets his wittle feelings hurt!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 05-23-2020 at 08:29 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-23-2020)

15. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bill,

Right down to the wearing of a mask. We see all the more respected leaders of the world leading by example, and we see him 'choosing not to wear one.'

Because of this lack of leadership, many of his deplorable followers will not wear masks, and there will be more spread of the disease because of it. He has told them in dog whistle code speak that they never have to bother with a mask or social distancing. That kid of irresponsibility is getting people killed. Terrible leadership that results in a higher death toll. And what do you know. The USA has the highest death toll. Taiwan? None of that nonsense. Serious about it from the start, Actually got the jump start on it. 7 deaths. Total. There's the difference in quality of leadership. And, bonus - since they controlled it from the start hey never had to shut down their economy. No mass unemployment, no hit to the GDP, none of those problems. How different it could have been with good proactive leadership. What we have in DT is lousy reactive leadership.
    A few of his loyalist are pointing it out, fortunately... & that is what they see glaringly obvious, so much so they can not-NOT SPEAK OUT...

Ppl need to take responsibility for themselves & their families.....

When we were pups & gonna live forever we took foolish chances, adult are suppose to know better..

16. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeh he may be all of that but he also realised long before many, what a threat China is to the world. Biden is just a joke who'd get his clock cleaned by Xi, he just wants a quiet life in his dotage. I think you know all that well enough, but feel compelled to indulge in groupthink to please Progressive arseholes like PoliShitTalker and Joan of Snark,.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 05-23-2020 at 09:16 PM.

17. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

John Oliver was a second rate performer over here, how you guys think so much of him is beyond me? His whining Brummy accent is enough to piss most off but it must sound different to your ears!!