Thread: Thoughts on the Covid effect

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,717 Times in 4,154 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,364 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Look Margret it's the old Republican president has caused the US and world to go to hell in a hand basket. Why don't you idiots come up with a new play book this one has become a joke. Instead of throwing blame how about running someone people will vote for not against. Thake my word for it Biden ain't it.

ADDED:

The first identified coronavirus in the US was 21 Jan 2020 Washington state.

Timeline of Events

On January 31, HHS declared Coronavirus a Public Health Emergency in the US
    As of Jan. 31, the Wuhan coronavirus is officially a public health emergency in the United States, Alex Azar, secretary of the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced at a White House press briefing.

On Jan. 31, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a federal quarantine for 14 days affecting the 195 American evacuees from Wuhan, China. Starting Sunday, Feb. 2, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and immediate family who have visited China's Hubei province will undergo a mandatory 14 days quarantine and, if they have visited other parts of China, they would be screened at airports and asked to self-quarantine for 14 days. The last time the CDC had issued a quarantine was over 50 years ago in the 1960s, for smallpox.
    President Donald Trump signed an order on Jan. 31 for the U.S. to deny entry to foreign nationals who traveled to China within the preceding two weeks, aside from the immediate family of U.S. citizens.
    On Jan. 30, the CDC had confirmed the first case of person to person transmission in the U.S.: [12] the husband of the Chicago, Illinois case who had returned from Wuhan, China on Jan. 13 and who tested positive for the virus on Jan. 24).
    CDC stated on Jan. 30 that "It is likely there will be more cases of 2019-nCoV reported in the U.S. in the coming days and weeks, including more person-to-person spread."[12]
    The virus had been confirmed in 5 states.
    On Jan. 31, New York City health officials vehemently denied the rumor regarding a coronavirus case in the city .[13]. On Feb. 1, however, the city's health commissioner did report that there was a test being performed on a person under 40 who had returned from China, developed matching symptoms, and tested negative to the seasonal flu.
    Most US patients had recently visited Wuhan.
    All of the first five U.S. cases were described as mild.
    A study on the first US case of novel coronavirus detailed mild symptoms followed by pneumonia
    U.S. Airlines suspended ALL flights between the U.S. and China
    On Friday, January 31, Delta, American and United announced they would temporarily suspend all of their mainland China flights in response to the coronavirus outbreak.[14]
    Prior to this January 31 announcement:
    UNITED AIRLINES
    on Jan. 28 had announced it would cut 24 flights between the U.S. and China for the first week of February.
    AMERICAN AIRLINES
    on Jan. 29 had announced it would suspend flights from Los Angeles to Shanghai and Beijing from Feb. 9 through March 27, 2020. It will maintain its flight schedules (10 daily A/R) from Dallas-Fort Worth to Shanghai and Beijing, as well as from Los Angeles and Dallas-Fort Worth to Hong Kong.
    DELTA
    had not adjusted its schedule of direct flights from the U.S. to China. It is the only airline with direct flights to not take action so far.
    The White House was considering issuing a ban on flights between the United States and China, as of late Jan. 28[11]. Italy has announced on January 31 that it was suspending all flights to and from China following the first 2 cases of coronavirus in Italy.
    Travel Alert: Do Not Travel to China
    The U.S. State Department on January 30 issued a Level 4: Do Not Travel to China Alert [4] (the highest level of alert).
    Previously, on January 29, the advisory was set at a lower "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" advising not to travel to Hubei Province: (Level 4) and reconsider travel to the remainder of China (Level 3).
    The CDC on Jan. 28 issued a Level 3 Warning, recommending that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China

Seem like there was no delay in the government response to the coronavirus.
    Let's just pull some key stones out from under this:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...se-annotation/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...s-genome-test/
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    - To all you folks out there carrying on about #fakecrisis; It's actually a MIS-HANDLED SITUATION that has developed into a crisis, courtesy by the clowns currently in the White House that many of you folks voted for! Deal with it.

- Ask yourself...if the majority of America is technically unemployed now, and service oriented business have near zero customers, how the hell is Wall St. doing so well? WAKE THE HELL UP, PEOPLE!
    It's doing well because the country is back to writing checks it can't cash to keep that money train going. If people are like me they are spending double or triple on groceries, so store chains and Amazon should be killing it right now.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    It's doing well because the country is back to writing checks it can't cash to keep that money train going. If people are like me they are spending double or triple on groceries, so store chains and Amazon should be killing it right now.
    I know, man. It's F.U.B.B.! (f****d up beyond belief).
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,611 Times in 11,609 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fact of the matter is Dump NEVER ADMITS his flaws or mistakes. If you can provide the reading audience valid documentation to the contrary, please do. If not, go blow smoke to your equally closed minded compadres. See, the "leftie" President Obama left a 69 page document on dealing with pending and potential situations like we have today. Not only did Dump & company ignore it, but then LIED about that: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...andemic-259969
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/608647/

The Turtle eventually copped, but Dump never did and NEVER WILL.

In face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I'll ignore you absurd drivel about Dump critics not taking action to solve problems.

Now hold onto your hat....I agree with you that Biden is NOT a good candidate now, as I suspect the beginnings of mental fatigue/deterioration (much like with Reagan). That is the fault of the DNC, who are not interested in any real basic changes in American business and society (which is why they trashed Sanders twice).

Fact of the matter is Dump NEVER ADMITS his flaws or mistakes.
    Have you ever seen me post anything that says he has????? Trumps EGO is so inflated that he can't accept the idea he is the smartest man on earth.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You can dispute all you want but the above facts are true and documented.

As to your links, I never said Trump didn't make mistakes and tried to downplay how bad this could be.

You notice the Headline says New York not the country. In fact the cases on the west coast were all traced back to China! So all you prove is we got hit from both sides at once.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
    Fact of the matter is Dump NEVER ADMITS his flaws or mistakes. If you can provide the reading audience valid documentation to the contrary, please do. If not, go blow smoke to your equally closed minded compadres. See, the "leftie" President Obama left a 69 page document on dealing with pending and potential situations like we have today. Not only did Dump & company ignore it, but then LIED about that: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...andemic-259969
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/608647/

The Turtle eventually copped, but Dump never did and NEVER WILL.

In face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I'll ignore you absurd drivel about Dump critics not taking action to solve problems.

Now hold onto your hat....I agree with you that Biden is NOT a good candidate now, as I suspect the beginnings of mental fatigue/deterioration (much like with Reagan). That is the fault of the DNC, who are not interested in any real basic changes in American business and society (which is why they trashed Sanders twice).

Fact of the matter is Dump NEVER ADMITS his flaws or mistakes

Have you ever seen me post anything that says he has????? Trumps EGO is so inflated that he can't accept the idea he is the smartest man on earth.
    Good, then on this we are in agreement and there is no further need for discussion on this point.

George Orwell

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good, then on this we are in agreement and there is no further need for discussion on this point.
    Nothing earth shaking here I have said the same thing since day one. The difference is I recognize his flaws but am willing to give hem credit when he is right, and he has been right on the economy till the pandemic.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Let's just pull some key stones out from under this:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...se-annotation/
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...s-genome-test/

You can dispute all you want but the above facts are true and documented.

As to your links, I never said Trump didn't make mistakes and tried to downplay how bad this could be.

You notice the Headline says New York not the country. In fact the cases on the west coast were all traced back to China! So all you prove is we got hit from both sides at once.
    your little laundry list left out a few details...and you should pay attention to what you read.....case in point, "...President Trump's restrictions on travel from Europe didn't go into effect until mid-March, and by then the virus had already begun spreading more widely. The data show that the virus had been spreading "fairly broadly for a period of time before we started sequencing," Maurano said.

Since NYC is a major national/international tourist hubs in the USA, it unfortunately became an epicenter for Covid….hence the title. But as the saying goes, READ the FINE-Print. the article acknowledges origin...but the POINT is how it got to America, which was a route via Europe, NOT China. Dump and company screwed up with near criminal negligence and incompetence on this. Deal with it.

As to Dump, you acknowledge his duplicity, but then you try to shift major condemnation and blame to democrats and liberals in some lame attempt at comparison and lessen the fault of the Orange Oaf. You make accusations, but offer no proof regarding "lefties" doing nothing....an accusation that flies in the face of reality in lieu of daily news coverage.

Also, I would be interested in your documentation to the statement that Covid 19 was initially denied by health officials in NYC, as I may have missed that.

George Orwell

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nothing earth shaking here I have said the same thing since day one. The difference is I recognize his flaws but am willing to give hem credit when he is right, and he has been right on the economy till the pandemic.
    No, Dump does his usual schtick of taking full credit for someone else's work. As usual, the devil is in the details. For your education:

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/12/64670...ng-u-s-economy

George Orwell

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

your little laundry list left out a few details...and you should pay attention to what you read.....case in point, "...President Trump's restrictions on travel from Europe didn't go into effect until mid-March, and by then the virus had already begun spreading more widely. The data show that the virus had been spreading "fairly broadly for a period of time before we started sequencing," Maurano said.

Since NYC is a major national/international tourist hubs in the USA, it unfortunately became an epicenter for Covid….hence the title. But as the saying goes, READ the FINE-Print. the article acknowledges origin...but the POINT is how it got to America, which was a route via Europe, NOT China. Dump and company screwed up with near criminal negligence and incompetence on this. Deal with it.

As to Dump, you acknowledge his duplicity, but then you try to shift major condemnation and blame to democrats and liberals in some lame attempt at comparison and lessen the fault of the Orange Oaf. You make accusations, but offer no proof regarding "lefties" doing nothing....an accusation that flies in the face of reality in lieu of daily news coverage.

Also, I would be interested in your documentation to the statement that Covid 19 was initially denied by health officials in NYC, as I may have missed that.

It is hopeless trying explain facts to a close minded liberal but I'll try. [QUOTE]California's first confirmed COVID-19 case was more than a month before New York.
    But by mid-March, New York surpassed California, and cases spiraled out of control.
    Both states face unique challenges, and there are differences in the way each state's
    leaders addressed the threat of coronavirus. Those decisions have meant the
    difference between life and death. While it may be years before we know the full scope
    of the virus' impact, it's clear that so far New York has paid a much higher price. Could
    the outcome have been different had leaders in New York reacted more like their
    counterparts in California? Here's how the coronavirus crisis unfolded in each state.
    https://abc7news.com/feature/health/...risis/6108354/

Lets see now NY's 1st case was a woman who traveled from Iran. ( If I'm not mistaken Iran in in the ME not Europe!) March 7 (5 days before Trump banned flights from Europe) Gov Como declared a state of emergency for New York state.

Knowing how government works 5 days is lightning fast. Sorry but you don't see the big picture only the snapshot you want to see.

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Eagle_Eye;3660040]

It is hopeless trying explain facts to a close minded liberal but I'll try.
    California's first confirmed COVID-19 case was more than a month before New York.
    But by mid-March, New York surpassed California, and cases spiraled out of control.
    Both states face unique challenges, and there are differences in the way each state's
    leaders addressed the threat of coronavirus. Those decisions have meant the
    difference between life and death. While it may be years before we know the full scope
    of the virus' impact, it's clear that so far New York has paid a much higher price. Could
    the outcome have been different had leaders in New York reacted more like their
    counterparts in California? Here's how the coronavirus crisis unfolded in each state.
    https://abc7news.com/feature/health/...risis/6108354/

Lets see now NY's 1st case was a woman who traveled from Iran. ( If I'm not mistaken Iran in in the ME not Europe!) March 7 (5 days before Trump banned flights from Europe) Gov Como declared a state of emergency for New York state.

Knowing how government works 5 days is lightning fast. Sorry but you don't see the big picture only the snapshot you want to see.
    You have a serious right wing reading comprehension problem....YOUR OWN SOURCE SHOWS THAT BOTH STATES DECLARED "states of emergency" within a week of the first known cases. Essentially, your source shows similar actions within less than a week apart. Given the very different geographical situations of both states, I dare say query of the article's title is suggestively misleading at best.

You also demonstrate the typical right wing wonk's inability to think critically.....the FIRST REPORTED CASE does NOT mean that ALL THE HUNDREDS OF TOURISTS AND TRAVELERS FROM EUROPE (where the infection was well on it's way) WHO WERE CARRIERS AND FREELY ENTERING NYC FOR 2 MONTHS WERE ACCOUNTED FOR.

Got that bunky? 2 months this crap was in NYC with the majority of infected coming in from European flights....NOT from China.

Like it or not, Dump's administration dropped the ball on this one...and their added denial of their screw up wasted time and cost lives. A matter of fact, a matter of history regardless of your right wing myopia.

George Orwell

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Taichiliberal;3660962]

You have a serious right wing reading comprehension problem....YOUR OWN SOURCE SHOWS THAT BOTH STATES DECLARED "states of emergency" within a week of the first known cases. Essentially, your source shows similar actions within less than a week apart. Given the very different geographical situations of both states, I dare say query of the article's title is suggestively misleading at best.

You also demonstrate the typical right wing wonk's inability to think critically.....the FIRST REPORTED CASE does NOT mean that ALL THE HUNDREDS OF TOURISTS AND TRAVELERS FROM EUROPE (where the infection was well on it's way) WHO WERE CARRIERS AND FREELY ENTERING NYC FOR 2 MONTHS WERE ACCOUNTED FOR.

Got that bunky? 2 months this crap was in NYC with the majority of infected coming in from European flights....NOT from China.

Like it or not, Dump's administration dropped the ball on this one...and their added denial of their screw up wasted time and cost lives. A matter of fact, a matter of history regardless of your right wing myopia.
    The European travelers had nothing to do with the West coast outbreak. Just like the travelers arriving from China had nothing to do with NYC. But if it makes you feel better thinking you're correct have a nut.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Eagle_Eye;3661041]

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye

The European travelers had nothing to do with the West coast outbreak. Just like the travelers arriving from China had nothing to do with NYC. But if it makes you feel better thinking you're correct have a nut.
    Says who? Are you saying that there were NO travelers from ANY European country to the West Coast in December 2019? Or January 2020? Are you serious? None through Hawaii or California? Keep this in mind...THE FIRST DETECTED CASE DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS THE ONLY CASE IN CIRCULATION. It's like ants getting into your living space...just because you see one doesn't mean that's the ONLY one in the area. Got that now?

George Orwell

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Taichiliberal;3661237]

Says who? Are you saying that there were NO travelers from ANY European country to the West Coast in December 2019? Or January 2020? Are you serious? None through Hawaii or California? Keep this in mind...THE FIRST DETECTED CASE DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS THE ONLY CASE IN CIRCULATION. It's like ants getting into your living space...just because you see one doesn't mean that's the ONLY one in the area. Got that now?
    I am telling you that the first reported case of the virus in California came from China not Europe. Just like I'm telling you
    Coronavirus in N.Y.: Manhattan Woman Is First Confirmed Case in State
    A woman in her 30s who had traveled in Iran contracted the virus and is now isolated at home.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/n...confirmed.html

Now those are the facts! Don't like them argue with the people who put them out dumb ass.

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,784 Times in 17,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Trump was wrong on the economy. Tariffs are really stupid and almost no economists backed them. They are a tax on American consumers. The retaliation hurts American industries. It is just a stupid act by an unqualified man.
    His tax cut was a gift to the wealthy and corporations. That is what all Repubs have done since Reagan. Trump actually knows close to nothing except reality TV and conning.