Thread: Thoughts on the Covid effect

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 11,568 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I understand that is theoretical, not factual.
    It is factual! If you remember president Bush was reading to some school kids when the planes hit the WTC and Pentagon. The president then ended the the visit as soon as possible and gave the order to ground all flights as quick as possible.

Clearly you didn't have a civics class.

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,031 Times in 8,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    It is factual! If you remember president Bush was reading to some school kids when the planes hit the WTC and Pentagon. The president then ended the the visit as soon as possible and gave the order to ground all flights as quick as possible. Clearly you didn't have a civics class.
    That did not happen. Bush stood around in the classroom for nearly 30 minutes. No one knows who grounded flights, but it was not the President. Bush spent the rest of the day on Air Force One, but was difficult for those in command to get in touch with.

The key issue was the shutting down of the air traffic control system. It was a huge order that they tried to get Bush to give, but he did not. The best guess of who did it was a Canadian in charge of NORAD. It was an awkward situation for a foreigner to be giving orders to shutdown travel in the USA, and to possibly kill Americans who did not follow that order.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-28-2020), Taichiliberal (05-27-2020)

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 11,568 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    That did not happen. Bush stood around in the classroom for nearly 30 minutes. No one knows who grounded flights, but it was not the President. Bush spent the rest of the day on Air Force One, but was difficult for those in command to get in touch with.

The key issue was the shutting down of the air traffic control system. It was a huge order that they tried to get Bush to give, but he did not. The best guess of who did it was a Canadian in charge of NORAD. It was an awkward situation for a foreigner to be giving orders to shutdown travel in the USA, and to possibly kill Americans who did not follow that order.
    Walt

Here is a brief time line that shows you are full of shit. The only thing you got right was Bush didn't give the grounding order.

8:50 a.m.:
    President George W. Bush is informed that a plane hit the north tower of the World Trade Center while he visits an elementary school in Sarasota, Florida.
    9:05 a.m.:
    Bush, still at the Florida elementary school, is told that a second plane has crashed into the south tower. He then makes a televised statement outside of the school, calling the attacks a “national tragedy.”
    After delivering a brief statement to the nation (''Terrorism against our nation will not stand,” he said), he and the rest of the passengers of Air Force One were rushed on board.
    9:42 a.m.:
    All civilian flights across the U.S. are grounded by the FAA.
    (11th, 2001, Ben Sliney, chief of air-traffic-control operations at the FAA's command center in Herndon, Va., gave the unprecedented order to ground 4,000-plus planes across the nation and redirect any in the sky to the nearest airport. It was his first day on the job.)

https://www.govtech.com/em/safety/Ti...t-11-2001.html
    https://www.history.com/news/septemb...president-bush

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

TOP (05-28-2020)

6. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,031 Times in 8,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

9:05 a.m.:
    Bush, still at the Florida elementary school, is told that a second plane has crashed into the south tower. He then makes a televised statement outside of the school, calling the attacks a “national tragedy.”
    After delivering a brief statement to the nation (''Terrorism against our nation will not stand,” he said), he and the rest of the passengers of Air Force One were rushed on board.
    Bush was told that America was under attack at 9:05. He then spent 7 minutes reading My Pet Goat surrounded by children. The Secret Service was finally able to convince him to leave the children, and he went out in the hallway. 20 minutes after that, he gave a press conference. That is 27 minutes total by my math. What does your math say?

7. #110 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,521 Times in 16,980 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Bush was told that America was under attack at 9:05. He then spent 7 minutes reading My Pet Goat surrounded by children. The Secret Service was finally able to convince him to leave the children, and he went out in the hallway. 20 minutes after that, he gave a press conference. That is 27 minutes total by my math. What does your math say?
    Didn't everyone think the first plane was a tragic accident until the second one hit?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

8. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,640 Times in 4,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post

Originally Posted by Walt

Didn't everyone think the first plane was a tragic accident until the second one hit?
    8:55 AM
    U.S. Pres. George W. Bush, who has arrived at an elementary school in Sarasota, Florida, is told that a plane has struck the World Trade Center, though details are uncertain.
    https://www.britannica.com/list/time...ber-11-attacks

Pay attention: REGARDLESS as to speculation....the POTUS is immediately notified if a disaster of such proportions befalls the USA. History has shown President's dropping everything is a national transit strike occurs! The Shrub froze, he was an incompetent. A matter of fact, a matter of history. Deal with it.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

9. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    U.S. Pres. George W. Bush, who has arrived at an elementary school in Sarasota, Florida, is told that a plane has struck the World Trade Center, though details are uncertain.

Pay attention: REGARDLESS as to speculation....the POTUS is immediately notified if a disaster of such proportions befalls the USA. History has shown President's dropping everything is a national transit strike occurs! The Shrub froze, he was an incompetent. A matter of fact, a matter of history. Deal with it.
    Yes, we know Walt. You would have known that first plane was an attack and not just a freak accident hitting a tall building.

Walt, you should run for president since you have such insight. You da man!!
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

10. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal

Yes, we know Walt. You would have known that first plane was an attack and not just a freak accident hitting a tall building.

Walt, you should run for president since you have such insight. You da man!!
    First off, read the screen name....Taichiliberal, not Walt. And whether it was deliberate or an accident....it's a freaking national disaster that requires immediate attention! Know your history....President's have dropped everything to respond to wild cat strikes that immediately effect the nation. A commercial 747 smacking into an icon in the center of the financial hub of the world in one of our premier cities certainly qualifies the President to have said, " Hey kids, I'm just told that I have to get back to my office in the White House to take care of something I forgot to do...so we'll have to stop here. I'll be back one day to finish the story." Or something to that effect.

Stop being a toady and apologist for the idiocy of the likes of the Shrub and (now) Dump.

Secondly...your lame retort in no way excuses or alleviates the historical facts and ramifications of the Shrub's reaction (or lack thereof)
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

11. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

First off, read the screen name....Taichiliberal, not Walt. And whether it was deliberate or an accident....it's a freaking national disaster that requires immediate attention! Know your history....President's have dropped everything to respond to wild cat strikes that immediately effect the nation. A commercial 747 smacking into an icon in the center of the financial hub of the world in one of our premier cities certainly qualifies the President to have said, " Hey kids, I'm just told that I have to get back to my office in the White House to take care of something I forgot to do...so we'll have to stop here. I'll be back one day to finish the story." Or something to that effect.

Stop being a toady and apologist for the idiocy of the likes of the Shrub and (now) Dump.

Secondly...your lame retort in no way excuses or alleviates the historical facts and ramifications of the Shrub's reaction (or lack thereof)
    I apologize for my error.
    That said, immediate attention? WTF was the president to do IF it was an accident? Lie to those kids and do ...what? You scream Trump lies, I guess it's appropriate to lie to kids though

It's rather obvious you have a hatred for every republican. You criticize their action as inaction no matter the circumstance. Have you criticized anyone on the left for their action or inaction?

I'm not making excuses. You are.

Oh, and spare me the "lame" shit. You aren't that cultured.

12. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I apologize for my error.
    That said, immediate attention? WTF was the president to do IF it was an accident? Lie to those kids and do ...what? You scream Trump lies, I guess it's appropriate to lie to kids though

It's rather obvious you have a hatred for every republican. You criticize their action as inaction no matter the circumstance. Have you criticized anyone on the left for their action or inaction?

I'm not making excuses. You are.

Oh, and spare me the "lame" shit. You aren't that cultured.
    I swear, I don't know if you're truly this damn dumb or just insipidly stubborn.

Are you truly thinking that this silly assed "is he supposed to lie to the kids" tact is a valid excuse for his inactions? I just gave a quick example as to how to handle such....or perhaps you wanted the dummy to say, "Gee kids, a shitload of people just died in NYC in a plane that crashed into a building! I gotta go!"?

The lengths you right wing wonks will go to defend the inane actions of your leadership is amazing. You default to the SOS babble that any documented and legitimate criticism of your icons is done by "haters". Sorry toodles, but what happened is a matter of history and a matter of fact. Whether you deal with it, accept it or not is of no consequence. Blather on, bunky.

George Orwell

13. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I swear, I don't know if you're truly this damn dumb or just insipidly stubborn.

Are you truly thinking that this silly assed "is he supposed to lie to the kids" tact is a valid excuse for his inactions? I just gave a quick example as to how to handle such....or perhaps you wanted the dummy to say, "Gee kids, a shitload of people just died in NYC in a plane that crashed into a building! I gotta go!"?

The lengths you right wing wonks will go to defend the inane actions of your leadership is amazing. You default to the SOS babble that any documented and legitimate criticism of your icons is done by "haters". Sorry toodles, but what happened is a matter of history and a matter of fact. Whether you deal with it, accept it or not is of no consequence. Blather on, bunky.
    Say what you will, it's been repeated many times.You never accept the fact that your compelling left is not perfect.

Save me your bullshit, I've had enough of it.

14. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Say what you will, it's been repeated many times.You never accept the fact that your compelling left is not perfect.

Save me your bullshit, I've had enough of it.
    As the reader can clearly see, when confronted with basic facts that are easily documented, RB60 stubbornly holds onto his rather bizarre interpretations that defy fact and logic. Then, in a last ditch effort, he just blathers some nonsense about repetition and that the "left is not perfect", as if that justifies his revisionist drivel.

Yeah, RB60 can't handle the truth about his little right wing gods....but yet he's always commenting on threads of people he doesn't agree with. If he had something worthwhile to contribute, I would keep him out of the IA bin longer. But as you can see, he doesn't. So back he goes for another few months. Maybe next time he'll grow up, or wise up.

George Orwell

15. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,571 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

It is factual! If you remember president Bush was reading to some school kids when the planes hit the WTC and Pentagon. The president then ended the the visit as soon as possible and gave the order to ground all flights as quick as possible.

Wrong. Bush was very slow to leave. His handlers had to poke him a couple of times to get him to move. Is there no factual history that rightys will not rewrite? Even little ones like that?

16. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Trump's golfing is so frequent that he has to be ignoring his job.Remember when he said he will not have time to play golf if he became president? How did that work out? He doesn't have time to be president becuse of his golf. And oh yeah, his famous TV watching and personal time cut away more.

17. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Don't say everyone. Once you do that, you are wrong.