Thread: Two-thirds of New York COVID-19 patients were sheltering in place!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Two-thirds of New York COVID-19 patients were sheltering in place!

This came as a surprise to me, so many aspects of this whole business have been truly mind boggling.

Shelter in place has been an EPIC FAIL…

‘Shocking’: 66% of new coronavirus patients in N.Y. stayed home: Cuomo

ALBANY — The majority of recently hospitalized coronavirus patients in New York are people who have followed the precaution of staying home, Gov. Cuomo said Wednesday.

The governor said it was “shocking” that 66% of new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who are either retired or unemployed and not commuting to work on a regular basis.

[…]

“This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,” Cuomo said during a briefing on Long Island. “We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we’ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.”

[…]

NY Daily News
    Apparently, shelter in place just “fattened” the curve. Now… let’s flatten the hell out of this curve…

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/05/...ring-in-place/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Bigdog (05-10-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    This came as a surprise to me, so many aspects of this whole business have been truly mind boggling.

Shelter in place has been an EPIC FAIL…

ALBANY — The majority of recently hospitalized coronavirus patients in New York are people who have followed the precaution of staying home, Gov. Cuomo said Wednesday.

The governor said it was “shocking” that 66% of new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who are either retired or unemployed and not commuting to work on a regular basis.

[…]

“This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,” Cuomo said during a briefing on Long Island. “We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we’ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.”

[…]

NY Daily News
    Apparently, shelter in place just “fattened” the curve. Now… let’s flatten the hell out of this curve…

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/05/...ring-in-place/
    I'm a New Yorker and everyone I know who is abiding by the common sense advice of sheltering in place have not become infected. I know of 4 people through other people I know personally who have contracted the virus and died and those people were in high risk situations such as a subway employee, two nursing home patients and an older person who flew back and forth to Florida two weeks before falling ill. Did it ever occur to you that despite a person sheltering in place there are other precautions that need to be taken for one to be completely safe that these unfortunate folks might have overlooked? I quarantine and/or sanitize any package that is brought into my home and I don't know if everyone scrupulously does that. And because this inept self-serving administration has not implemented massive testing and contact tracing who can actually determine how this has been spread.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/watts-up-with-that/
    Last edited by Cinnabar; 05-10-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

4. The Following User Groans At Cinnabar For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-10-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    I'm a New Yorker and everyone I know who is abiding by the common sense advice of sheltering in place have not become infected. I know of 4 people through other people I know personally who have contracted the virus and died and those people were in high risk situations such as a subway employee, two nursing home patients and an older person who flew back and forth to Florida two weeks before falling ill. Did it ever occur to you that despite a person sheltering in place there are other precautions that need to be taken for one to be completely safe that these unfortunate folks might have overlooked? I quarantine and/or sanitize any package that is brought into my home and I don't know if everyone scrupulously does that. And because this inept self-serving administration has not implemented massive testing and contact tracing who can actually determine how this has been spread.

Cuomo said that you dozy bint, take it up with him!!

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of when I get told that almost all of the Seattle Street People are from the area, that they did not bus in for all of the fantastic benefits.

Q: "How do you know?"

A: "We asked them".

Where is a head banging against the wall emoji when I need one?
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-11-2020)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 31 Times in 29 Posts

The question that I want answered is, why did Cuomo order nursing homes who were not equipped to isolate patients with a highly contagious disease to take these Chinese Virus patients into the homes. They knew the elderly were the most likely to die from this! It seems to me that they wanted more victims and decided to kill off as many elderly as possible.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is not at all clear that Cuomo had the first fucking clue what was going on, that the order had been given.

This guy sucks ass, this is entirely possible.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Buck Tucker (05-21-2020)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post

New York was and is the epicenter for this disease in the USA, the failure of Comrad DeCommio and Gov Cuomo is epic. After the ChiCom's those two are the biggest village idiots who should be tossed into the nearest volcano.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    It is not at all clear that Cuomo had the first fucking clue what was going on, that the order had been given.

This guy sucks ass, this is entirely possible.
    And that idiot DiCommio in NYC decided to have fewer subway cars running that made the people who had to ride the train cram closer together because their were fewer cars.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Tucker View Post
    New York was and is the epicenter for this disease in the USA, the failure of Comrad DeCommio and Gov Cuomo is epic. After the ChiCom's those two are the biggest village idiots who should be tossed into the nearest volcano.
    Do you follow Stu Cvrk?

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Tucker View Post
    And that idiot DiCommio in NYC decided to have fewer subway cars running that made the people who had to ride the train cram closer together because their were fewer cars.
    Dont get me started on all of the "Important People" who have neglected the subways, been found incompetent and/or not interested in running the subways anywhere near right....

"It's not SEXY!"

barf.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Many Effects of Hydroxychloroquine against COVID-19

Leo Goldstein / 5 days ago May 5, 2020
    This is a scientific review, published to inform health care professionals and public officials, and for an open peer review. It is not medical advice.

Abstract
    Hydroxycholoroquine (HCQ) is effective against COVID-19 in a variety of roles – the main two being antiviral and immunomodulator. This “silver bullet” effect may have caused confusion between different effects. It is better to start HCQ-based treatment as early as possible.

Introduction
    Hydroxycholoroquine (HCQ) has many mechanisms against COVID-19. This diversity of mechanisms may have created confusion, even among medical professionals. Most importantly, HCQ and its combinations are effective antivirals against SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus causing COVID-19. As all antivirals, HCQ combinations should be taken early, before the virus overwhelms the body. Therefore, and because current COVID-19 tests have a large rate of false negatives, Dr. Zelenko recommends starting an HCQ-based treatment immediately upon suspicion of COVID-19 [1]: “Given the urgency of the situation, I recommend initiating treatment based on clinical suspicion as soon as possible, even without confirmatory testing.”

I can understand the theoretical basis for starting immediately. If common flu is treated with antivirals, the CDC recommends starting within 48 hours of symptoms onset [2]: “treatment is most effective when given as early as possible after symptoms develop, and its effectiveness diminishes markedly after 48 hours.” Those antivirals, like oseltamivir, begin acting immediately upon entering the bloodstream [3]. HCQ, however, is different. It needs to accumulate in the tissues, and that takes time. Thus, there seems to be no 48 hours window. HCQ’s anti-viral effect diminishes with every day that treatment is delayed.

HCQ as anti-viral
    HCQ+AZ
    The most tested HCQ-based treatment for COVID-19 is HCQ+AZ (Azithromycin). This drug combination treatment is associated with Didier Raoult, head of the Institut Hospitalo-Universitaire Méditerranée Infection (IHU) [4], [5]. He and his colleagues cited earlier experience of doctors in China.

The two drugs, HCQ+AZ, are considered synergetic in suppressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike — ACE2 interaction, which the coronavirus uses to enter the cell [5], [6]. These “spikes” make up the crown, or “corona”, which gives this type of virus its name. AZ is also an antibiotic, necessary to protect the body from any opportunistic bacterial infection during treatment.

To suppress the SARS-CoV-2 spike – ACE2 interaction, HCQ must accumulate in the lungs. This process begins when HCQ enters the bloodstream and proceeds slowly from there. This is explained in [7] (on chloroquine):

Drug disposition proceeds in three phases—distribution from blood to tissues, equilibration between blood and tissues, and release from tissues back into blood. These phases have half-lives of 3–8, 40–216 h, and 30–60 days, respectively

The times vary by tissue.

HCQ+Zn+antibiotic
    Zinc (Zn) prevents viruses from multiplying within cells, however, little Zn is found within cells. Zn ions cannot cross cell membranes. HCQ is known as Zn ionophore – it crosses cell membranes and carries Zinc with it [8]. This antiviral mechanism is entirely distinct from HCQ+AZ ability to suppress the SARS-CoV-2 spike – ACE2 interaction.

Unfortunately, HCQ does not shuttle back and forth through cell membranes carrying Zn but tends to enter the cells and stay there. Some level of tissue saturation is needed for HCQ to be effective as an ionophore.

I am not aware of any reported results on HCQ + Zn + (non-AZ antibiotic) treatment for COVID-19. Dr. Vladimir Zelenko and Dr. Anthony Cardillo (Thousand Oaks, CA) give their patients HCQ + Zn + AZ, so it is hard to say whether HCQ + Zn works. Dr. Zelenko has just registered a clinical trial [9], in which he will compare HCQ + Zn + AZ vs. HCQ + Zn + Doxycycline. Doxycycline is a milder antibiotic with no known activity against the coronavirus.

HCQ
    When used on its own, HCQ does exhibit antiviral effect against COVID-19, but not strong enough [10].

HCQ as an Immunosuppressant
    HCQ is most known as an immunomodulator (mild immunosuppressant). Hence, its use against auto-immune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. The main direct cause of death from COVID-19, like many other pulmonary diseases, is a cytokinetic storm and related acute respiratory distress syndrome (ADRS). This is caused by excessive immune reaction to the infection, which leads to multiple organ failure and death. HCQ decreases this excessive reaction and can do so at any time in the development of COVID-19. Apparently, early attempts to use HCQ against COVID-19 were done in the late stages of the disease.

Remarks
    HCQ combinations are being used for COVID-19 treatment all over the world, from India to Czechia, with excellent results. Random population sampling is needed to evaluate the spread of the coronavirus infection and immunity to it.

Chloroquine was noticed for its antiviral and immunomodulatory effects in context of SARS epidemic in 2003 [11]:

Chloroquine exerts direct antiviral effects, inhibiting pH-dependent steps of the replication of several viruses including members of the flaviviruses, retroviruses, and coronaviruses.

… chloroquine has immunomodulatory effects … which mediate the inflammatory complications of several viral diseases.

… the tolerability, low cost, and immunomodulatory properties of chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine are associated with biochemical effects that suggest a potential use in viral infections, some of whose symptoms may result from the inflammatory response.

As regards viral diseases, what is clear is that the drug has antiviral and immunomodulatory effects that warrant particular consideration.

References
    [1] V. Zelenko, “To all medical professionals around the world,” 2020.
    [2] Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “What are Flu Antiviral Drugs,” 2019.
    [3] B. Davies, “Article Navigation Pharmacokinetics of oseltamivir: an oral antiviral for the treatment and prophylaxis of influenza in diverse populations,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 2010.
    [4] P. Gautret and D. e. a. Raoult, “Clinical and microbiological effect of a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin in 80 COVID-19 patients with at least a six-day follow up: A pilot observational study,” Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease, 4 April 2020.
    [5] G. Hache and D. e. a. Raoult, “Combination of hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin as potential treatment for COVID 19 patients: pharmacology, safety profile, drug interactions and management of toxicity.,” Mediterranee Infection, 22 April 2020.
    [6] G. Sakoulas, “ACE2 Is the SARS-CoV-2 Receptor Required for Cell Entry,” NEJM Journal Watch, 18 March 2020.
    [7] D. J. Browning, “Pharmacology of Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine,” in Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine Retinopathy, Springer, 2014.
    [8] J. e. a. Xue, “Chloroquine Is a Zinc Ionophore,” PLOS ONE, 2014.
    [9] A. Thakore, “Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc With Either Azithromycin or Doxycycline for Treatment of COVID-19 in Outpatient Setting,” clinicaltrials.gov, 1 May 2020.
    [10] C. e. a. A. Devaux, “New insights on the antiviral effects of chloroquine against coronavirus: what to expect for COVID-19?,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, 12 March 2020.
    [11] A. Savarino and et al., “Effects of chloroquine on viral infections: an old drug against today’s diseases,” The Lancet, November 2003.
    Share this:
    PrintEmailTwitterFacebookPinterest3LinkedInReddit
    Like this:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Buck Tucker (05-21-2020)