Thread: Our First Restaurant Meal

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Our First Restaurant Meal

My wife and I took the plunge. Our favorite local restaurant re-opened their patio and bar area for dinner and drinks. The best way to describe the experience is 'surreal'. Everyone was wearing masks (including us, until the meal was serverd). Half of the tables were unavailable. The place was about 25% of the normal Thursday happy hour crowd. I think this is the 'new normal' I felt safe, but I'm just not sure how the restaurant remains in business. I left a 50% tip because those restaurant workers are in a really tough spot. They need to work, but there are people that aren't concerned about their safety. Bottom line, this model will work to keep people relatively safe, but I just don't know how the restaurant can survive with that model. If it was more crowded, we would have just turned around and gone home. Very strange experience.
    '

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-07-2020), Eagle_Eye (05-08-2020), Guno צְבִי (05-07-2020), Mason Michaels (05-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-07-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    My wife and I took the plunge. Our favorite local restaurant re-opened their patio and bar area for dinner and drinks. The best way to describe the experience is 'surreal'. Everyone was wearing masks (including us, until the meal was serverd). Half of the tables were unavailable. The place was about 25% of the normal Thursday happy hour crowd. I think this is the 'new normal' I felt safe, but I'm just not sure how the restaurant remains in business. I left a 50% tip because those restaurant workers are in a really tough spot. They need to work, but there are people that aren't concerned about their safety. Bottom line, this model will work to keep people relatively safe, but I just don't know how the restaurant can survive with that model. If it was more crowded, we would have just turned around and gone home. Very strange experience.
    '
    time for kids fairytales?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your experience. How eerie that must have been.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. How eerie that must have been.
    You are as full of bull shit as Concart is

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

'
    I went to a pizza place last week but we ate outside as well (to go).. The patio area was blocked but we found ways to make ourselves comfortable from our hike..

I did a a 50% tip & my friends were commenting the lady running it was kinda gruff.. It was empty inside(usually packed on a Friday) & I could only feel she was pretty depressed thinking this just aint going to work..

If they are required to run @ half capacity I don't see how most of them are going to make it..

There was a new Tea shop(Boba style) that just opened~had their grand opening & gave out tea all day to lure customers-next day they had to close.. I have not talked to her since but I can't see them being around after this, they put everything they had into that little place.....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

'
    Hmmmm, how does one eat out while......wait for it......wearing a mask.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Matt Dillon (05-08-2020)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I went to a pizza place last week but we ate outside as well (to go).. The patio area was blocked but we found ways to make ourselves comfortable from our hike..

I did a a 50% tip & my friends were commenting the lady running it was kinda gruff.. It was empty inside(usually packed on a Friday) & I could only feel she was pretty depressed thinking this just aint going to work..

If they are required to run @ half capacity I don't see how most of them are going to make it..

There was a new Tea shop(Boba style) that just opened~had their grand opening & gave out tea all day to lure customers-next day they had to close.. I have not talked to her since but I can't see them being around after this, they put everything they had into that little place.....
    Did you eat your pizza with your mask on?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Matt Dillon (05-08-2020)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    You are as full of bull shit as Concart is
    Not sure why you are being a bigger jerk than normal but you really should go find something to do...........

thanks
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not sure why you are being a bigger jerk than normal but you really should go find something to do...........

thanks
    It never seems to bother you when FloridaFool is a jerk to Conservatives. Why is that? Did you eat pizza with you mask safely in place?

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

'
    Raise Prices. I would guess the Restaurants that open, and stay open, will have to raise prices.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

signalmankenneth (05-08-2020)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Raise Prices. I would guess the Restaurants that open, and stay open, will have to raise prices.
    Yep, which will price some folks out.. Especially if you lost your job...

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Hmmmm, how does one eat out while......wait for it......wearing a mask.
    So how do you go through life without being able to read?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (05-08-2020)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

If you think the Bistros and Burger joints are suffering- HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE THE OWNER OF A CHINESE BUFFET RIGHT NOW!

That industry may be done! POOF! GONE WITH THE WIND!

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

'
    We've had plenty of restaurant meals but won't be eating in restaurant for some time. It's really not worth it and we just got so much food at home. We just added two whole beef tenderloins to the mix for Mothers day. Cut up steaks and freeze the leftovers for later.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Charoite For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-08-2020)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep, which will price some folks out.. Especially if you lost your job...
    Yes. I think that could be part of the allure. The 'Peasants' won't be able to afford to go out. 'Going out to eat' ... could be a status symbol.