Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Rich People Really Cared, The DOW Would Not Be Doing So Well.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default If Rich People Really Cared, The DOW Would Not Be Doing So Well.

I don't get it.

Why is Wall Street humming along just fine?

There are so many people in so much need.

It is well known that the super rich own most of the stock.

I'm talking about people who have multitudes more wealth than they could EVER spend in a lifetime.

Why are they not selling stock to get money to help those in need?

If the holders of so much stock really cared about their fellow citizens we would expect to see stock being sold off like crazy to get cash to help the millions who are in such dire need.

But no. Instead they are looking for opportunities to get rich, seeking bargains, snapping up stocks that look good.

The least they could be doing would be to buy US Government Bonds. (Reassuringly, some are, just not in the massive amounts needed.)

I guess we can see where their loyalties lie.

All of the job gains since the Great Recession have been wiped out, but the stock gains have not.

Morality seems to have it's price.

We are going to have to tax the greedy rich to pay for this.

After WWII the highest income tax rate went over 90%

We are going to have to do that again to pay for Coronavirus, when this is all said and done.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

If the holders of so much stock really cared about their fellow citizens we would expect to see stock being sold off like crazy to get cash to help the millions who are in such dire need.
    This would result in less money to help those in need. Selling stock would drive the prices down giving them less cash and hurting the retirement accounts and pensions of working class Americans, especially those already retired.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't get it.

There are so many people in so much need.

It is well known that the super rich own most of the stock.

I'm talking about people who have multitudes more wealth than they could EVER spend in a lifetime.

But no. Instead they are looking for opportunities to get rich, seeking bargains, snapping up stocks that look good.

The least they could be doing would be to buy US Government Bonds. (Reassuringly, some are, just not in the massive amounts needed.)

I guess we can see where their loyalties lie.

All of the job gains since the Great Recession have been wiped out, but the stock gains have not.

Morality seems to have it's price.

We are going to have to tax the greedy rich to pay for this.

After WWII the highest income tax rate went over 90%

We are going to have to do that again to pay for Coronavirus, when this is all said and done.
    Really, you don't get it? Probably your education system only teaching two physical absolutes, death and taxes.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    This would result in less money to help those in need. Selling stock would drive the prices down giving them less cash and hurting the retirement accounts and pensions of working class Americans, especially those already retired.
    It's an asinine suggestion. For starters, if all rich people sold who would be the buyers? There wouldn't be any and stocks would crater to no value. And as you pointed out you want multi-billion dollar pension funds like Calpers and CalSTers to sell off all their assets?

It defies logic, realty and human nature.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Flash (04-25-2020), Minister of Truth (04-25-2020)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yes, it would have that effect.

So it's better that the super rich keep all their investments, don't cash anything in to help the poor in dire need right now. That way it's better for retirees and people who have a nest egg. What was I thinking, considering the plight of the have-nots? I was disregarding the already haves. How inconsiderate of me.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's an asinine suggestion. For starters, if all rich people sold who would be the buyers? There wouldn't be any and stocks would crater to no value. And as you pointed out you want multi-billion dollar pension funds like Calpers and CalSTers to sell off all their assets?

It defies logic, realty and human nature.
    Only the very considerate super rich would do this. I am sure there is plenty of greed to go around so there is no way all rich people are doing this.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Hello cawacko,

Only the very considerate super rich would do this. I am sure there is plenty of greed to go around so there is no way all rich people are doing this.
    Not trying to be a d*ck but you do understand that for someone to sell there has to be a buyer right?

And if one’s wealth is tied up in the equity markets and there are no buyers and equities drop tremendously in value they actually have little money.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Goodbye Serenity,

I make it clear in my Signature PIP that I am into polite posting.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Really, you don't get it? Probably your education system only teaching two physical absolutes, death and taxes.
    That is a violation of common polite posting principles and academic posting.

No, you don't attack me and get me on the hook as your enabler.

Welcome to my Ignore List.

Have a nice life.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 04-25-2020 at 06:54 PM.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Goodbye Serenity,

I make it clear in my Signature PIP that I am into polite posting.

That is a violation of common polite posting principles and academic posting.

No, you don't attack me and get me on the hook as your enabler.

Welcome to my Ignore List.

Have a nice life.
    what attack? Oh you getting defensive because someone wants to discuss physical self evident life. know what real is before working economic theory against kinetic self evident results.
    Last edited by serenity; 04-25-2020 at 11:10 PM.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't get it.

really disappoints you doesn't it........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

I don't get it.

It is not.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
    Leftists are cute when they try to discuss economics.

Because you never studied economics and were born with knowledge?

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello jacksonsprat22,

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    It is not.
    The job market has lost all gains since the Great Recession.

The stock market has lost some, but nowhere near everything gained since the Great Recession.

It is being widely reported that this crisis is having a greater impact on the poor and disadvantaged.

Comparatively, the stock market is doing fine. Nowhere near the losses sustained by labor.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello jacksonsprat22,

The job market has lost all gains since the Great Recession.

The stock market has lost some, but nowhere near everything gained since the Great Recession.

It is being widely reported that this crisis is having a greater impact on the poor and disadvantaged.

Comparatively, the stock market is doing fine. Nowhere near the losses sustained by labor.

Okay. But what is the relation of the stock market to employment>