View Poll Results: Will US COVID-19 deaths exceed the 62,000 by Election Day?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there will be more than 62,000 US deaths due to COVID-19

17 70.83%
  • No, there will be less than 62,000 deaths.

1 4.17%
  • I don't know/some other answer

6 25.00%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: US COVID-19 deaths by Election Day

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I can easily see how we all get this eventually. Hopefully, most of us will survive and become immune.
    Well gosh, so far, 99.999999% of us are A OK.

The Elderly seem to be the prime victims in this.
    As they always are. This is only rocket science to whiny low IQ morons on the left who desire to become dependent wards of the state.

I'd sure like to see more antibody test kits come out and have everybody tested. That would create a sense of security if you knew everybody around you was immune.
    The test shows immunity??? Whodda thunk it!
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The immunity thing is still undetermined. Additionally, if this virus mutates like flu, then it's a whole new ballgame. Even so, neither vaccines or nation-wide testing is expected in the next six months. Trump claimed 27 million by the end of April and only about 3M have been done in a nation of 327M.
    Some countries, including China and SK, are reporting that healthy COVID survivors are still testing positive. Is this a testing error? Are they still shedding virus to non-infected ppl? There is just so much we don't know. And we won't know until we have mass quantities of reliable testing for both current infections and antibody tests for past infections.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexand.../#5af7666c18ad

I would guess that the death toll will be over 100,000 by November, but I hope to be very wrong.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-16-2020)

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    At this point, the question is whether it stays under that number by the end of April. I'm not convinced it will. We need to see some reductions in cases pretty quick since we are averaging about 2000 deaths per day in the last 9 days. Our daily new cases have held pretty steady and deaths trail new cases by about a week.
    Over the last 9 days it is averaging 1,723. Since the first case was discovered, it has averaged 320 deaths per day. As a percentage of the population the total number of deaths amount to .0000853% of the population.

For that; we have wholesale hysteria and a shut down of most industries and businesses in the country. Jobs lost so far; 20,000,000 with more to come? Quite the trade off don't you think?

This only makes sense to remarkable ignorant people or those with a leftist agenda.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Does the poll have a time limit?

You know I like mathematics.

Obviously, the longer one waits to vote, the more informed their choice is.

I'm inclined to say yes, the number will go higher than 62K by election day.

It's already at 33,490 on worldometer, and 31,590 on Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering website.

Worldometer says there are also 13K in serious / critical condition. I understand that most people who go on a ventilator pretty much end up dying. That would easily place the death toll over 40K, and we are still adding new cases every day. Yesterday, we added over 30K new cases.

If it doesn't go over 62K, it will certainly get very close.

And what if DT calls off the shut-down?

Then all bets are off?

Also, there is confusion as to what the Poll question actually is.

The stated Poll Question is not the same as the longer question posted in the OP, which carries additional conditions.

Personally, I think DT is going to mimmick what has happened in China.

At first, they denied it even existed, punished those who tried to warn everyone. DT's got that box checked.

Then they had to admit it and took strong measures. Check, again.

And lately, they have opened back up, and are seeing their numbers go back up in a 'Second Wave.' Will DT check that box, too?

I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't. He's been dancing all around it. Looks like he is about to.

And here comes the strongman approach with that.

You know what he is going to do.

He lacks the authority to order States to open for business, but he'll do it anyway, and if they fail to comply he will apply all kinds of unrelated pressure by withholding other things that have nothing to do with it. He is relentless in his over-reach of power.

I bet he 'opens the country up' too soon, and we get the second wave, which will surely put the figure over the 62K estimate if it didn't go there anyway.

That's my vote.
    How long did it take you to type out this meaningless BS?

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The immunity thing is still undetermined. Additionally, if this virus mutates like flu, then it's a whole new ballgame. Even so, neither vaccines or nation-wide testing is expected in the next six months. Trump claimed 27 million by the end of April and only about 3M have been done in a nation of 327M.
    Don't we have a flu vaccine? Yes we do. Yet every year 60,000 to 80,000 people, mostly the weak and elderly, die every year. Amazing how that works isn't it?

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I hope I am wrong, but I just do not see how it could be below 100,000.
    Well, that's because you are deaf dumb and blind.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed. I'm certain US medicine will find both a cure and a vaccine but not before the election. At least not for mass distribution before the election and probably not before Christmas.
    Is there a cure for the flu?

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OK, I'll vote in October. I'll be able to make a much more informed decision by then.
    Your voting isn't "informed." It is predictable. Do they have a "D" by their name. In fact, you will be voting for a guy with obvious symptoms of dementia and a serious bout of stupid.

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If anybody finds a cure it won't be the US. Our system works for profit and there is far more profit in a remedy than a cure for anything. But that probably won't be sought because the development of a vaccine would wipe out the profits from a remedy.

I would expect that even if our drug makers accidentally found a cure they would shelve it and continue seeking a remedy which only alleviates the symptoms for a while, and then must be repurchased and re-administered.
    What an ignorant and stupid post. It's because of a profit motive EVERYTHING gets developed. There is no greater incentive than the profit.

It's obvious you've never visited a Marxist country.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFOWLWoman View Post
    Some countries, including China and SK, are reporting that healthy COVID survivors are still testing positive. Is this a testing error? Are they still shedding virus to non-infected ppl? There is just so much we don't know. And we won't know until we have mass quantities of reliable testing for both current infections and antibody tests for past infections.

I would guess that the death toll will be over 100,000 by November, but I hope to be very wrong.
    Moron still believes what is coming out of China. The nation that LIED about it and still lies about the number of infections and deaths .

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,485 Times in 52,488 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

There's no conclusive data. Scientists know this but the great unwashed, anti-science mob thinks Trump can shit out a miracle drug just by taking some executive time.

Yes, it could get very bad. I do believe treatments will improve greatly over the next few months simply out of necessity. After all, if I was dying of COVID-19 and there were no ventilators left would I take an unproven drug? Yes, absolutely. If Trump and the Trumpeteers have their way, there will be thousands of Americans put into that position.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-16-2020)

14. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,069 Times in 3,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Over the last 9 days it is averaging 1,723. Since the first case was discovered, it has averaged 320 deaths per day.
    A car sitting in your driveway for 50 minutes and then accelerating 10 miles per minute for 10 minutes is only averaging about 10 mph but I wouldn't suggest you drive into into a tree thinking your speed is simply the average for the time period. But if that is how you calculate speed, go ahead. You seem to be idiotic enough to think that. An increase in deaths is like an increase in a car's speed. Until you slow down the acceleration and decelerate you will only keep going faster or seeing more deaths.

As a percentage of the population the total number of deaths amount to .0000853% of the population.
    You might want to check your math, poopiehead. 34233/323,000,000 is .0106% You aren't even close to calculating it correctly.

Now let's look at the death rate in NY state. NY state is currently closed down with stay at home orders but the total deaths are 823 per million. That is with stay at home orders that have slowed the growth rate. If we open up the country and it has the same death rate as a CLOSED NY we would see 265,000 deaths in the US. Of course, deaths haven't stopped in NY so the numbers are only going up. Assuming NY has reached its peak the death total will not quite double in NY. Put that in the US with no stay at home order and we are talking 500,000 deaths or more. South Dakota isn't NYC but it's going to be interesting to see what happens there in the next 2 weeks which is what you want for the entire country. South Dakota could be on it's way to having the same number of infections per capita as NY has.

For that; we have wholesale hysteria and a shut down of most industries and businesses in the country. Jobs lost so far; 20,000,000 with more to come? Quite the trade off don't you think?
    Economies work when the consumers buy. If the consumer is too scared to go out and buy stuff you go into a recession. 10% drop in consumer spending for the next year out of fear to go into crowds is pretty drastic in and of itself. Recessions cause job loss. Did you not learn anything in 2008? Consumer spending is also based on the number of people spending. If 2-3% of your consumers die, consumption goes down. Simple math here. 2% of consumers die which means you have a 2% reduction in GDP for the next 10-20 years. Recession followed by a slower growth.

By the way most businesses and industries are not shut down. A lot are but most of them are not. Most means more than half. A lot of businesses may be working on a reduced basis by having people work from home or furloughing some employees but 50% of workers are not out of work and 50% of businesses are not shut down.

This only makes sense to remarkable ignorant people or those with a leftist agenda.
    Your argument only makes sense to poopieheads that haven't passed jr high algebra.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-16-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-16-2020)

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,069 Times in 3,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Don't we have a flu vaccine? Yes we do.
    There are 4 types of flu and each type has 198 possible subtypes. Vaccines typically protect you from 4 of the 792 different types of flu. Scientists have to predict which ones they think will be coming in the next year. Not everyone gets the flu vaccine and it isn't always effective against the flu strain in a given year.

Yet every year 60,000 to 80,000 people, mostly the weak and elderly, die every year. Amazing how that works isn't it?
    Really? You seem to just make up whatever numbers you want. At no time in the last 30 years have 80,000 people died from the flu in a given year. Only once in the last 10 have more than 60,000 died and that was 61,000 in 2018.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
    That 61,000 was over a 12 month period. Covid-19 may kill that many in one month.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Let me ask this question: How many deaths will it take to make you thrilled because you think it will help you politically?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

PostmodernProphet (04-16-2020)

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,485 Times in 52,488 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Let me ask this question: How many deaths will it take to make you thrilled because you think it will help you politically?
    Zero. I'd prefer there were no deaths.

Now a question for you: What is the lowest number of deaths that will cause the far Right to cum in their sleep?

Obviously you've seen the far Right Wingers on this forum declare everything from "this isn't worse than the flu" to "more people died of the flu". The 62,000 deaths number wasn't chosen at random. It was specifically chosen because of those guys. Do you really think any of them will admit error is the number is over 62,000 in November? Yeah, me neither. That's how those gutless cowards roll.

You've, no doubt, notice they refuse to answer the poll.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"