Thread: So ... after the lockdown is over, what's the first thing

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Machines will, indeed, replace the basket weavers which is why it's stupid for the pro-Trumpers to clamor about Trump bringing back textile and other menial labor jobs to the US. What we need is a better ability to educate people for modern jobs. With kids locked out of schools, maybe Khan Academy and other Internet teaching tools will become more available.
    'Jobs' may come back, ... but Machines will be doing most of the Work.
    If you were an Employer and were going through this Pandemic, what would you be thinking about?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

I'm wearing a mask in public till there's a vaccine
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    I'm wearing a mask in public till there's a vaccine
    I found a construction mask in my Tool Box. I put it around my neck when I went to the Grocery Store. Didn't 'put it on', but had it ready if I thought I needed it.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I found a construction mask in my Tool Box. I put it around my neck when I went to the Grocery Store. Didn't 'put it on', but had it ready if I thought I needed it.
    Isn't that closing the barn door after the horse got out?
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Melchizedek For This Post:

Jack (04-15-2020)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,625 Times in 52,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,516 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Blog Entries

'Jobs' may come back, ... but Machines will be doing most of the Work.
    If you were an Employer and were going through this Pandemic, what would you be thinking about?
    It depends upon what the employer does. If they're making widgets, yes, automation to an extent. Still, mechanics and management will be needed. Just not assembly-line workers.

This Joe Rogan interview with Naval Ravikant has Ravikant talking extensively on what you are pointing out: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000440636786

It's also on Youtube and any podcast that carries Rogan's show. Yeah, it's over two hours but I was fascinated. Ravikant didn't say a single thing in the interview that I disagreed with. I listened to it while working outside and, in order to finish it, kept working over 45 minutes past when I'd have normally gone inside.

Just briefly, but on jobs; Ravikant points out that automation frees human beings to be more creative and create better jobs. He pointed out how Rogan's job (podcaster) didn't even exist a few years ago. There were other examples.

One thing robots and computers can't do is create new designs, new things. Automation can make iPhones, but it can't create them. That takes human beings.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Jack (04-15-2020)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think I already got it ... and survived. (?)

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Only if within 6 feet of other people. I did a similar thing last week. BTW, if the mask is contaminated then you touch it taking it off then touch your face, guess what? LOL

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It depends upon what the employer does. If they're making widgets, yes, automation to an extent. Still, mechanics and management will be needed. Just not assembly-line workers.

This Joe Rogan interview with Naval Ravikant has Ravikant talking extensively on what you are pointing out: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000440636786

It's also on Youtube and any podcast that carries Rogan's show. Yeah, it's over two hours but I was fascinated. Ravikant didn't say a single thing in the interview that I disagreed with. I listened to it while working outside and, in order to finish it, kept working over 45 minutes past when I'd have normally gone inside.

Just briefly, but on jobs; Ravikant points out that automation frees human beings to be more creative and create better jobs. He pointed out how Rogan's job (podcaster) didn't even exist a few years ago. There were other examples.

One thing robots and computers can't do is create new designs, new things. Automation can make iPhones, but it can't create them. That takes human beings.
    Yes. I agree. How many 'Humans' will be needed, THAT'S the Question.
    IMO, we're going to have 'excess people' in the Future.
    So ... what becomes of THOSE people.
    (there's 2 basic lines of thought)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes. I agree. How many 'Humans' will be needed, THAT'S the Question.
    IMO, we're going to have 'excess people' in the Future.
    So ... what becomes of THOSE people.
    (there's 2 basic lines of thought)
    Define "excess people"? Aren't modern nations experiencing a drop in birth rates compared to Third World nations? As Third World nations develop, their birth rates will drop too.

I know there's a fear that automation will put people out of work, but what good does it do to own a widget factory if no one can afford to buy your widgets? It's self-defeating.

Besides, with fusion power comes transmutation of matter. In short, unlimited energy and Star Trek-type replicators. If someone wants to work, they will, usually in a creative job. If someone wants to smoke pot and play their guitar, they'll be able to do so.

A last, grimmer thought: Nature has a way of balancing out the population. Anti-gun LWers often go after hunters, but it's the fees that hunters pay that allow the deer population to be controlled. Without them, since most of their predators have been eliminated by people, deer would overpopulate and die of starvation and disease. Same with people. If we have too many, there will be war and massive death. One way or another, the problem will solve itself. Let's hope it's the "Star Trek" scenario and not the Zombie Apocalypse.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Define "excess people"? Aren't modern nations experiencing a drop in birth rates compared to Third World nations? As Third World nations develop, their birth rates will drop too.

I know there's a fear that automation will put people out of work, but what good does it do to own a widget factory if no one can afford to buy your widgets? It's self-defeating.

Besides, with fusion power comes transmutation of matter. In short, unlimited energy and Star Trek-type replicators. If someone wants to work, they will, usually in a creative job. If someone wants to smoke pot and play their guitar, they'll be able to do so.

A last, grimmer thought: Nature has a way of balancing out the population. Anti-gun LWers often go after hunters, but it's the fees that hunters pay that allow the deer population to be controlled. Without them, since most of their predators have been eliminated by people, deer would overpopulate and die of starvation and disease. Same with people. If we have too many, there will be war and massive death. One way or another, the problem will solve itself. Let's hope it's the "Star Trek" scenario and not the Zombie Apocalypse.
    Dutch: "Define "excess people"?"
    Jack: More 'Eaters' than 'Producers'.

Dutch: "Aren't modern nations experiencing a drop in birth rates compared to Third World nations?"
    Jack: Yes, but they are importing MORE people. Zero immigration would be a good first step. Let's work with the people that are here NOW.

Dutch: "I know there's a fear that automation will put people out of work, but what good does it do to own a widget factory if no one can afford to buy your widgets? It's self-defeating."
    Jack: Agreed. Like now, a suggestion for a 'Universal Basic Income' to put money into the hands of the Unemployed.

Dutch: "Besides, with fusion power comes transmutation of matter. In short, unlimited energy and Star Trek-type replicators. If someone wants to work, they will, usually in a creative job. If someone wants to smoke pot and play their guitar, they'll be able to do so."
    Jack: How many 'Guitar Players' does Dutch want to support?

Dutch: "A last, grimmer thought: Nature has a way of balancing out the population. Anti-gun LWers often go after hunters, but it's the fees that hunters pay that allow the deer population to be controlled. Without them, since most of their predators have been eliminated by people, deer would overpopulate and die of starvation and disease. Same with people."
    Jack: Hmmmmm. "Same with people". Yes. If we could only figure out a way of controlling the Human Population without going out and shooting them. (?)

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is the most delusional Boomer drivel I've ever fucking read. There is no "back to normal". The world we have now is the new normal, just like after 9/11 it became normal to have to get patted down by illiterate police academy rejects if I wanted to fly somewhere. If you think there will be a good happy ending to this in any of our lifetimes you're smoking crack.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Damocles (04-16-2020)

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    This is the most delusional Boomer drivel I've ever fucking read. There is no "back to normal". The world we have now is the new normal, just like after 9/11 it became normal to have to get patted down by illiterate police academy rejects if I wanted to fly somewhere. If you think there will be a good happy ending to this in any of our lifetimes you're smoking crack.
    You're probably right,I'm done shaking hands.I doubt if all this hugging will continue

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

you plan to do?

I'm thinking "go to the Movies". I like to go to the 'Tuesday Discount Movies' at night.
    Course, I may be forced to go to the Barber Shop first. (I hope Bob the Barber is still in good shape, he was getting up there in age the last time I saw him)
    All of those sound good; you left off an important one.....go to a restaurant and let someone else do the cooking.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Jack (04-15-2020)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    'Governments' (the agents of the Capitalists) are doing everything in their power to re-establish Order.
    What emerges will be best for the Ownership Class.
    (Being a Worker Drone is probably the worst position you can be in)

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hopefully, another lasting social change post-COVID is for the states and the Feds to a plan together on how to handles such emergencies.
    Only mentally unstable dumbasses don't want to go back to how it was in December. Booming economy; lowest unemployment in decades; highest labor participation rates in decades; real GDP growth; higher wages.

Despite some of the "usual suspects" whining that COVID is a Chinese bioweapon plot, they aren't supporting Federal support of the states to handle the problem. What if a nation did release a bioweapon in the US? We'd be no more prepared for that than we are for COVID-19. Obviously a more likely event is what this is: a random novel virus. Either way, despite being the richest and most powerful nation on the planet, Americans are dying for lack of basic medical supplies and equipment.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.