Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

There is not a human alive who has not been wrong at some point. Some of us understand that and accept it, and then there are people like the president who thinks he's perfect and never accepts being wrong.

And he has been tragically wrong about the corona virus.

'15 cases going to zero,' indeed.

'Magically go away in a few weeks,' yeah right.

His days of perpetuating this charade are numbered.

Many Americans have been fooled into defending him but most Americans are not fooled about how badly this has been handled.

He is the world's greatest con man but he has met his match in this life and death crisis.

The numbers don't lie.
    Models: wrong

WHO: wrong

CDC: wrong

Trump: right that we had plenty of ventilators

Trump: right to shut down immigration from China

House Democrats and especially the House *intelligence* committee: wrongly chasing the Ukraine phantom in December and January while China was lying and the virus was spreading in this country
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (05-11-2020), Stretch (05-11-2020)

3. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Models: wrong

WHO: wrong

CDC: wrong

Trump: right that we had plenty of ventilators

Trump: right to shut down immigration from China

House Democrats and especially the House *intelligence* committee: wrongly chasing the Ukraine phantom in December and January while China was lying and the virus was spreading in this country
    This is mistaken from the outset.

I created a model of my own, using publicly available data, on May 1st.

It showed that we would have over a million Active Cases by May 10th.

That model turned out to be correct.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-11-2020)

5. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Darth,

This is mistaken from the outset.

I created a model of my own, using publicly available data, on May 1st.

It showed that we would have over a million Active Cases by May 10th.

That model turned out to be correct.
    Don’t you mean a million positive tests lol?

Antibody studies *consistently* demonstrate that positive test case numbers are way less than the positive antibody numbers. IOW, the virus is a lot more prevalent in our population than positive test case numbers suggest.

This means two important things: one is that the COVID CFR is going to come in low—probably in the same neighborhood as the flu and perhaps even lower.

This also dovetails with the unusually high number of asymptomatic/mildly affected individuals who catch the virus. Moreover, that is confirmed in studies done by frontline workers [I’ve linked the study at least twice now] who claim the virus isn’t really killing that many people—it’s the immune response TO the virus that is causing some individuals to go critical and even die in some cases.

The Cytokine Storm is essentially the immune system attacking the body. So, severe COVID symptoms are actually symptoms of an immune system malfunction.

And they haven’t always been treated as such [I’m still not sure they are in all places] because the WHO/CDC guidelines excluded some common treatments in severe COVID patients. And this has certainly added to the total death count.

The second point is political: you have a strong presuppositional bias when it comes to Trump. IOW, you decide at the outset that Trump is guilty for all this, then you cherry pick your facts to support the supposition.

That is sloppy logic. And it’s why your so resistant to the idea the virus was almost certainly *established* in our population well before Trump or anyone else was going to significantly change the outcome.

It’s very likely further serum antibody studies will confirm exactly that.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (05-11-2020), Stretch (05-11-2020)

7. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,227 Times in 6,865 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

History won't be kind to Trump on this.

The "downplaying campaign" in February hurt America in ways that we'll never be able to truly calculate. It's much more than "contained" and "15 down to zero." So much of that led to Fox, talk radio, twitter and the rest to take it a step or steps further, and so many Americans were convinced that this was nothing, or worse, a hoax.

And then there was the misinformation: hyping unproven drugs & treatments, over optimistic predictions for a vaccine timeframe, lysol.

Now, we find out that his admin buried detailed CDC advice. Combine that with taking funding away from WHO - for saying the SAME THING about China that Trump did in January - and Trump himself has set us so far behind the 8 ball on this whole thing.

It's a stunning failure of leadership. It's hard to imagine worse.

8. The Following User Groans At BartenderElite For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-11-2020)

9. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Antibody studies *consistently* demonstrate that positive test case numbers are way less than the positive antibody numbers. IOW, the virus is a lot more prevalent in our population than positive test case numbers suggest.

This means two important things: one is that the COVID CFR is going to come in low—probably in the same neighborhood as the flu and perhaps even lower.

This also dovetails with the unusually high number of asymptomatic/mildly affected individuals who catch the virus. Moreover, that is confirmed in studies done by frontline workers [I’ve linked the study at least twice now] who claim the virus isn’t really killing that many people—it’s the immune response TO the virus that is causing some individuals to go critical and even die in some cases.

The Cytokine Storm is essentially the immune system attacking the body. So, severe COVID symptoms are actually symptoms of an immune system malfunction.

And they haven’t always been treated as such [I’m still not sure they are in all places] because the WHO/CDC guidelines excluded some common treatments in severe COVID patients. And this has certainly added to the total death count.

The second point is political: you have a strong presuppositional bias when it comes to Trump. IOW, you decide at the outset that Trump is guilty for all this, then you cherry pick your facts to support the supposition.
    I think you have more political bias than I do. All of the president's supporters do. Here's why. Pretty much the whole rest of the world is against DT. Only the few in the USA who support him, fool themselves into believing him. And this is very strange because he has been shown to lie so frequently. For an individual to ignore all the lies, that individual has to have some pretty strong political bias.

That is sloppy logic. And it’s why your so resistant to the idea the virus was almost certainly *established* in our population well before Trump or anyone else was going to significantly change the outcome.

Antibody tests will almost certainly reveal much more spread of the disease than is currently confirmed. But the conclusion you are hoping to draw from that will be a view only shared by the president's supporters, for political reasons.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-11-2020)

11. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,654 Times in 17,915 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

The source of the virus from China is China. They lied about the source and their number of fatalities. They would not share data with our health professionals that might have mitigated their virus from China. They nailed shut the doors of those with the virus from China They did not stop flights out of China and the virus from China spread around the world.

China must be held accountable for the hundreds of thousands of deaths and the economic loss around the world.

Count on the far left loon apologists to defend China and falsely blame it on our great president whose closure of flights from China saved countless lives.

The president is following the advice of the health professionals and the states are opening their economies following the guidelines.

12. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Darth,
    I think you have more political bias than I do. All of the president's supporters do. Here's why. Pretty much the whole rest of the world is against DT. Only the few in the USA who support him, fool themselves into believing him. And this is very strange because he has been shown to lie so frequently. For an individual to ignore all the lies, that individual has to have some pretty strong political bias.

Antibody tests will almost certainly reveal much more spread of the disease than is currently confirmed. But the conclusion you are hoping to draw from that will be a view only shared by the president's supporters, for political reasons.
    The conclusion will be determined by simple math lol.

Not that math has ever stood in the way of political agendas. You said it yourself: the virus has spread more than they assumed at the outset. Unless they cheat at math the mortality rate is going to come in low. Well, one way of doing it is to cheat at counting deaths.

It’s becoming clear that the COVID virus is fairly benign—it’s the way the immune system *in some people* reacts to the virus. The virus doesn’t target the heart or vascular system in critical patients—their own immune systems are doing that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (05-11-2020)

14. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Darth Omar (05-11-2020)

16. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

The conclusion will be determined by simple math lol..
    This conclusion?

... your [sic] so resistant to the idea the virus was almost certainly *established* in our population well before Trump or anyone else was going to significantly change the outcome.

No, the math won't show that DT could not have done a better job.

But nice try, anyway.

What it will show is the importance of taking more effective measures far sooner.

Since he didn't do that he takes the heat for dropping the ball and getting so many Americans killed.

He was warned at least a dozen times in intelligence briefings in January that this could be very bad. He ignore all of that. People died, he made the wrong choice and it cost lives. He is not wriggling out of that no matter how you try to spin it, or whatever hoops you make for yourself to jump through, we are not jumping through them. We see the facts.

17. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sunday

5-10

USA

Total Cases 1,367,638

New Cases +20,329

Total Deaths 80,787

New Deaths +750

Total Recovered 256,336

Active Cases 1,030,515

Serious, Critical 16,514

Tot Cases/1M pop 4,132

Deaths/1M pop 244

Total Tests 9,444,525

Tests/1M pop 28,533

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-11-2020)

19. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!"

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 6, 2020

On April 6th, a new daily deaths record was set at 1,505 deaths that day.

There has been a lot more death on 21 days over the last month since then:

April 14th, daily deaths: 2,566

April 15th, daily deaths: 2,631

April 16th, daily deaths: 2,193

April 17th, daily deaths: 2,543

April 18th, daily deaths: 1,883

April 19th, daily deaths: 1,570

April 20th, daily deaths: 1,952

April 21st, daily deaths: 2,683

April 22nd, daily deaths: 2,358

April 23rd, daily deaths: 2,340

April 24th, daily deaths: 1,957

April 25th, daily deaths: 2,065

April 28th, daily deaths: 2,470

April 29th, daily deaths: 2,390

April 30th, daily deaths: 2,201

May 1st, daily deaths: 1,897

May 2nd, daily deaths: 1,691

May 5th, daily deaths: 2,350

May 6th, daily deaths: 2,528

May 7th, daily deaths: 2,129

May 8th, daily deaths: 1,687

'Light at the end of the tunnel,' yeah right.

Another lie.

The numbers don't lie.

The president does.

20. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Monday

5-11

USA

Total Cases 1,385,834

New Cases +18,196

Total Deaths 81,795

New Deaths +1,008

Total Recovered 262,225

Active Cases 1,041,814

Serious, Critical 16,484

Tot Cases/1M pop 4,187

Deaths/1M pop 247

Total Tests 9,619,855

Tests/1M pop 29,063

21. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Check it out. We've had a few good days with reduced deaths.

Are we finally beginning to see 'light at the end of the tunnel?'

Over a month after the president claimed it?

Time will tell.

22. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The data is now showing a slowing in the rise of the number of Active Cases. We might be nearing a peak, but we have not reached it yet.

Let's take a fresh look at how fast Active Cases have been rising:

Date ... Active Cases ... Daily Rise

4-22 ... 717,008

4-23 ... 744,037 ... 27,029

4-24 ... 762,421 ... 18,384

4-25 ... 788,233 ... 25,812

4-26 ... 812,966 ... 24,733

4-27 ... 814,569 ... 1,603

4-28 ... 834,261 ... 19,692

4-29 ... 855,127 ... 20,866

4-30 ... 878,843 ... 23,716

5-1 .... 903,714 ... 24,871

5-2 .... 920,012 ... 16,298

5-3 .... 941,261 ... 21,249

5-4 ... 954,887 ... 13,626

5-5 ... 964,736 ... 9,849

5-6 ... 975,312 ... 10,576

5-7 .... 998,445 ... 23,133

5-8 .... 1,019,567 ... 21,122

5-9 .... 1,029,194 ... 9,627

5-10 ... 1,030,515 ... 1,321

5-11 ... 1,041,814 ... 11,299

One day, the third column will go negative. After we string together a week or more of negative figures in the third column, we will be able to say we have passed the peak.

but we are not there yet. Active Cases are still rising.

23. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The data is now showing a slowing in the rise of the number of Active Cases. We might be nearing a peak, but we have not reached it yet.

Let's take a fresh look at how fast Active Cases have been rising:

Date ... Active Cases ... Daily Rise

4-22 ... 717,008

4-23 ... 744,037 ... 27,029

4-24 ... 762,421 ... 18,384

4-25 ... 788,233 ... 25,812

4-26 ... 812,966 ... 24,733

4-27 ... 814,569 ... 1,603

4-28 ... 834,261 ... 19,692

4-29 ... 855,127 ... 20,866

4-30 ... 878,843 ... 23,716

5-1 .... 903,714 ... 24,871

5-2 .... 920,012 ... 16,298

5-3 .... 941,261 ... 21,249

5-4 ... 954,887 ... 13,626

5-5 ... 964,736 ... 9,849

5-6 ... 975,312 ... 10,576

5-7 .... 998,445 ... 23,133

5-8 .... 1,019,567 ... 21,122

5-9 .... 1,029,194 ... 9,627

5-10 ... 1,030,515 ... 1,321

5-11 ... 1,041,814 ... 11,299

One day, the third column will go negative. After we string together a week or more of negative figures in the third column, we will be able to say we have passed the peak.

but we are not there yet. Active Cases are still rising.
    So hospitals are off the hook and can go back to business?