Page 109 of 343 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 5139

Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #1621 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,361 Times in 52,411 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The US passed the UK in deaths per million and has not slowed down. Next up is Ecuador. The US will soon be surpassing Ecuador, too, in deaths per million.

It is so tragic we have this faker leader who only pretends to lead but is really only concerned about himself.

A crisis is when you need a real leader.
    Total numbers are often Apples and Oranges, but rates, such as "Deaths per Million" is much more accurate.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-25-2020)

3. #1622 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

The panic is building in the Trump bubble.

The Con may soon be over.

These darn elections!
    Agreed. Trump is getting desperate and is now hinting he won't step down. Republicans in the Senate and House, especially those up for tight elections, will have to start distancing themselves from Trump if they don't want to go down with him.

FWIW, if Trump refuses to step down, it's entirely possible, and IMO likely, the 25th Amendment will be used against him. There is a lot of evidence it should be used now, but the Republicans don't want to screw themselves in an Election year by doing the right thing. They'll wait until it's a done deal to act.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-24-2020), PoliTalker (09-25-2020)

5. #1623 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Trump is getting desperate and is now hinting he won't step down. Republicans in the Senate and House, especially those up for tight elections, will have to start distancing themselves from Trump if they don't want to go down with him.

FWIW, if Trump refuses to step down, it's entirely possible, and IMO likely, the 25th Amendment will be used against him. There is a lot of evidence it should be used now, but the Republicans don't want to screw themselves in an Election year by doing the right thing. They'll wait until it's a done deal to act.
    I've lost any hope of Republicans taking such a bold move.

Seeing them fawn all over him has had it's effect.

I have lost respect for Republicans.

They think Trump has made it OK to be a hypocrite.

No. It is not OK.

And I have to say, Democrat Dick Durbin is just as much of a hypocrite.

Here is Lisa DesJardins interviewing Dick Durbin on Wednesday:

Lisa Desjardins:

I hear you talking about a new precedent perhaps set by Republicans, but, in all this time about precedent, both sides pointing at each other, why not just say you don't want a nominee from the other party?

Sen. Richard Durbin:

Well, it isn't that, Lisa.

To be honest with you, I would like the other party to be consistent. What they're basically doing is saying, this is situational. If it doesn't help us, then we're not going to fill the vacancy. If it helps us, we will fill the vacancy.

Here is the full clip from PBS

She just played a clip of him in 2016 saying the Constitution is clear, the Senate has a responsibility to hold hearings and vote on the confirmation. And now he says the Senate should not do that, and tries to claim he just wants consistency out of Republicans?

Classic doubletalk.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #1624 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Another 45K new cases yesterday.

It doesn't seem to be 'miraculously going away.'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (09-25-2020)

8. #1625 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thursday

9-24

USA

Total Cases 7,185,471

New Cases +45,355

Total Deaths 207,538

New Deaths +942

Total Recovered 4,437,575

Active Cases 2,540,358

Serious, Critical 14,156

Tot Cases/1M pop 21,678

Deaths/1M pop 626

Total Tests 101,576,073

Tests/1M pop 306,453

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (09-25-2020), Phantasmal (09-25-2020)

10. #1626 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

I've lost any hope of Republicans taking such a bold move.

Seeing them fawn all over him has had it's effect.

I have lost respect for Republicans.

They think Trump has made it OK to be a hypocrite....
    Agreed, to an extent, that the Republicans deserve to lose respect. You seem to think it's because they lack morals and are evil. I think it's because they are greedy and cowardly by virtue of the fact they only cater to Trump in order to keep their jobs. That said, if, or when, the situation changes so that they can save their jobs by turning on Trump, I think they will turn on him.

Notice how they are speaking out about accepting the election results and support the fairness of the election process.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...trump-comments
    Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Thursday morning that Republicans would accept any clear electoral result in November or a Supreme Court decision if the results were unclear.

Graham joined the ranks of Republicans promising a fair and peaceful election after comments made by President Trump at a press briefing Wednesday, where Trump refused to commit to leave office should Democratic presidential nominee win the election

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54285869
    What have Republicans said?
    "The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th," Mr McConnell tweeted on Thursday. "There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792."

Other Republican lawmakers, including vocal Trump ally Senator Lindsey Graham, have similarly promised a safe and fair election.

"I can assure you it will be peaceful," Mr Graham told Fox News, but suggested a decision could go to the nation's top court. "If Republicans lose we will accept the result. If the Supreme Court rules in favour of Joe Biden, I will accept that result."

Senator Mitt Romney offered a more critical response on Wednesday, saying "any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable".

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-25-2020), PoliTalker (09-25-2020)

12. #1627 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Agreed, to an extent, that the Republicans deserve to lose respect. You seem to think it's because they lack morals and are evil. I think it's because they are greedy and cowardly by virtue of the fact they only cater to Trump in order to keep their jobs. That said, if, or when, the situation changes so that they can save their jobs by turning on Trump, I think they will turn on him.

Notice how they are speaking out about accepting the election results and support the fairness of the election process.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...trump-comments
    Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Thursday morning that Republicans would accept any clear electoral result in November or a Supreme Court decision if the results were unclear.

Graham joined the ranks of Republicans promising a fair and peaceful election after comments made by President Trump at a press briefing Wednesday, where Trump refused to commit to leave office should Democratic presidential nominee win the election

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54285869
    What have Republicans said?
    "The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th," Mr McConnell tweeted on Thursday. "There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792."

Other Republican lawmakers, including vocal Trump ally Senator Lindsey Graham, have similarly promised a safe and fair election.

"I can assure you it will be peaceful," Mr Graham told Fox News, but suggested a decision could go to the nation's top court. "If Republicans lose we will accept the result. If the Supreme Court rules in favour of Joe Biden, I will accept that result."

Senator Mitt Romney offered a more critical response on Wednesday, saying "any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable".
    I never said Republicans are evil. I don't use the word.

This says what I think:

" I think it's because they are greedy and cowardly by virtue of the fact they only cater to Trump in order to keep their jobs. "

I'll believe this when I see it:

"That said, if, or when, the situation changes so that they can save their jobs by turning on Trump, I think they will turn on him. "

I heard all those Republicans saying yesterday "oh yes there will be a peaceful transition of power if Biden wins." Well, that's pretty inconsistent with the positions they have been taking. I recall them saying if the evidence showed guilt that they would vote to convict, too. That turned out to be BS. Trump has a way of pulling their strings, getting them to fall in line. Why should saving Trump's butt after a lost election be any different?

13. #1628 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

I never said Republicans are evil. I don't use the word.

This says what I think:

" I think it's because they are greedy and cowardly by virtue of the fact they only cater to Trump in order to keep their jobs. "

I'll believe this when I see it:

"That said, if, or when, the situation changes so that they can save their jobs by turning on Trump, I think they will turn on him. "

I heard all those Republicans saying yesterday "oh yes there will be a peaceful transition of power if Biden wins." Well, that's pretty inconsistent with the positions they have been taking. I recall them saying if the evidence showed guilt that they would vote to convict, too. That turned out to be BS. Trump has a way of pulling their strings, getting them to fall in line. Why should saving Trump's butt after a lost election be any different?
    Apples and oranges. I'm betting it will be fine. If you disagree, my advice remains the same: Buy a gun, learn how to use it so you can defend our Constitution and Republic.

14. #1629 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Apples and oranges. I'm betting it will be fine. If you disagree, my advice remains the same: Buy a gun, learn how to use it so you can defend our Constitution and Republic.
    I am not taking any bets.

I shall patiently wait and observe.

Time will tell.

One thing is for certain:

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-25-2020), moon (09-25-2020)

16. #1630 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

I am not taking any bets.

I shall patiently wait and observe.

Time will tell.

One thing is for certain:

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.
    Agreed on everything except fighting fascism and dictatorships with only a keyboard. Better to have both but only use the gun as a last resort.

17. #1631 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Agreed on everything except fighting fascism and dictatorships with only a keyboard. Better to have both but only use the gun as a last resort.
    Guns have their place - in the hands of well trained people, and used for good.

18. #1632 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Like the police? Trump's Federales? Those "well trained people, and used for good"? How did the DC protesters fair with their pink pussy hats and cardboard signs when Trump wanted a photo-op?

Why do you think dictators think they can walk all over an entire citizenry if they feel like it? What, in your opinion, would be the crossover point before you would support violent revolt? It's not an easy answer....and you can't win a revolt behind a keyboard. The idea of "I'll just get a gun" isn't an optimal answer because in that case, you won't last long. It's like saying you'll wait until you actually fall off the boat before learning how to swim. An educated and armed citizenry is the best deterrent against assholes like Donald J. Trump.

Words are great, but if a person wants to keep their freedom, they need to be prepared to fight for it. Even better if they support and work with their neighbors to do it together.

19. #1633 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,488 Times in 6,232 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Guns have killed hundreds of millions of people and wiped out many species of animals. How the fuck can they be called ' useful '
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

20. #1634 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Guns have killed hundreds of millions of people and wiped out many species of animals. How the fuck can they be called ' useful '
    If it weren't for guns we would all be speaking German.

21. #1635 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Holy cripe.

Over 50K new cases yesterday.

It's comin back on.