Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #556 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    And not much in the way of high risk areas/episodes so I wouldn’t look for that to happen.

Why is the death rate so flat with all these COVID cases?
    Treatment has gotten better and there is enough equipment and facilities to treat people, but here in Houston we are reaching a critical point. Arizona is at 102%. A nurse here took out a full page ad telling people to stay home this weekend. They are already exhausted and there is no end in sight for now.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-02-2020), PoliTalker (07-02-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

3. #557 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth Omar,

396 deaths for every million Americans is nothing to sneeze at with an uncovered mouth.
    Doesn’t answer the question.

Clearly, something is different now than in April. If infections are occurring in a younger population the case numbers aren’t going to convert over ICU beds and deaths to the same extent as they did in April.

There’s also another kicker: it will bring the COVID CFR down even farther if it keeps up much longer.

This is also good news for us herd immunity fans: it means progress can be made towards the goal without getting Spanish flu type numbers.

Good stuff.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Stretch (07-02-2020)

5. #558 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Doesn’t answer the question.

Clearly, something is different now than in April. If infections are occurring in a younger population the case numbers aren’t going to convert over ICU beds and deaths to the same extent as they did in April.

There’s also another kicker: it will bring the COVID CFR down even farther if it keeps up much longer.

This is also good news for us herd immunity fans: it means progress can be made towards the goal without getting Spanish flu type numbers.

Good stuff.
    Is there long term immunity? What do they know about immunity with this virus?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

7. #559 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,485 Times in 52,488 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Hope that is correct. The rural areas have very few beds avaiable.
    Agreed with both.

Note that Stretch "groaned" a post pointing out that excess beds in one part of a state do not help those in need in another part of the state.

Sure, up in the NE Yankee states where 3-4 states are within a few hours drive, it's a full day trip in many states west of the Mississippi River.

Southern states tend to be poorer overall. The cities are often fine, but the rural areas can be quickly overwhelmed. That's not the problem in my part of North Texas even though, compared to Forth Worth or Dallas, there are lot less beds. It all goes to a patient-bed ratio.

I haven't left my place in a week. It's easy to self-quarantine, maintain social distancing (no masks necessary!) when the nearest neighbor is a few acres away.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-02-2020), PoliTalker (07-02-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

9. #560 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Treatment has gotten better and there is enough equipment and facilities to treat people, but here in Houston we are reaching a critical point. Arizona is at 102%. A nurse here took out a full page ad telling people to stay home this weekend. They are already exhausted and there is no end in sight for now.
    Some cities, like Houston are going to be hurting. Riverside, CA made the news with more patients than beds.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-02-2020)

11. #561 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Some cities, like Houston are going to be hurting. Riverside, CA made the news with more patients than beds.
    They have personnel flying in from other states. We are fortunate in that we have more hospitals than most towns, but ICU beds are in short supply, but our task force here is top notch medical professional, so hopefully we will be able to handle the surge.

Im staying home.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-02-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

13. #562 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And not much in the way of high risk areas/episodes so I wouldn’t look for that to happen.

Why is the death rate so flat with all these COVID cases?
    Hello Darth Omar,

396 deaths for every million Americans is nothing to sneeze at with an uncovered mouth.
    Ahhh, remember the good ol' days when supposed "medical expert" members were laughing at the death predictions? Joking when only 61 Americans were dead from COVID-19? Yeah, me too. Good times, good times.

Death by Corona numbers explode to 61

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...%3fid=69602911

Running low on substitute adjectives for ‘creep’ and ‘crawl’ so I went with the sarcastic angle in the OP title.

Related news: at least one doctor thinks the CHINA virus has already been in WV since there have been a cluster of people with flu like symptoms that tested negative for seasonal flu virus over the past 6-8 weeks. Could easily be true and if it is, the virulence of the virus is unremarkable with respect to the vast majority of people.

Also, if true, the actual number of Corona cases is a lot higher than the number of confirmed cases, nationally. This is probably what prompted the expert in OH to speculate that OH could have 100k cases of the virus.

But if all of this is true, look at the number in the OP title—and think.

14. #563 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Most people recover.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

15. #564 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,835 Times in 17,266 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

I still prefer to listen to Epidemiologists that right-wing talking heads. I trust Fauci even more than Hannity. Hannity is starting to leave the Corona reservation and accepting the numbers and science. His bloody little hands cannot be scrubbed clean.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

17. #565 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Agreed with both.

Note that Stretch "groaned" a post pointing out that excess beds in one part of a state do not help those in need in another part of the state.

Sure, up in the NE Yankee states where 3-4 states are within a few hours drive, it's a full day trip in many states west of the Mississippi River.

Southern states tend to be poorer overall. The cities are often fine, but the rural areas can be quickly overwhelmed. That's not the problem in my part of North Texas even though, compared to Forth Worth or Dallas, there are lot less beds. It all goes to a patient-bed ratio.

I haven't left my place in a week. It's easy to self-quarantine, maintain social distancing (no masks necessary!) when the nearest neighbor is a few acres away.
    We usually go about 2 weeks on groceries. We hardly go out for anything else. Have not eaten out since the you-know-what hit the fan.

I went to make a sandwich. Out of tomatoes. No big. Not runnin to the store. Just use some ketchup. No big deal.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

19. #566 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Indeed it's better to stay inside if you make a meal out of sugar weakening your immune system. Better to stay put.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

20. #567 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ahhh, remember the good ol' days when supposed "medical expert" members were laughing at the death predictions? Joking when only 61 Americans were dead from COVID-19? Yeah, me too. Good times, good times.
    I get the idea Darth 9-2 Omar gets under some people’s skin lol.

Good to know my work here is not wasted. Btw, you realize the bolded is turning out to be rated ‘mostly true’, at minimum. How did I know that back in March?

Thanks, that bumped me up to 10-2.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Stretch (07-02-2020)

22. #568 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wait lol.

That’s two accurate predictions I made in March. In March, I said the actual cases of of COVID could be way higher than the confirmed cases. And what do ya know, the COVID seroprevalence studies are showing the virus is much more prevalent in our population than was assumed.

I made that statement in March.

11-2

23. #569 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We usually go about 2 weeks on groceries. We hardly go out for anything else. Have not eaten out since the you-know-what hit the fan.

I went to make a sandwich. Out of tomatoes. No big. Not runnin to the store. Just use some ketchup. No big deal.
    Good be a good teaching moment for people to realize what's important and what's not. Many in the nation learned a similar lesson after 9/11 with a trend of "Yuppies" ceasing their endless pursuit of more money and things in favor of family. Unfortunately that trend only lasted about 3-4 years for most Americans.

As discussed elsewhere, as much as I like to shit on the Millennials, they could end up being "the Greatest Generation" of the 21st Century.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-03-2020)

25. #570 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Most people recover.
    Correct. What does it matter if 1% of the American population is killed off by plague if 99% recover?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-03-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)